logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<23456>»
Roger Federer
katmilr
#63 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:09:15 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Roger Federer

Thanks for all your guesses everyone. Looks like @niketennis made me a special pair of Vapor 9’s to celebrate the #1 record! They made 287 limited edition pairs total, and some will be available for you. Very nice of these guys. Feel free to check them out @niketennis.

[/quote]
1 user thanked katmilr for this useful post.
frida on 7/15/2012(UTC)
katmilr
#64 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:09:45 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Congrats King :) !!

17 slams, The Greatest of All Time !!! :)
frida on 7/16/2012(UTC)
frida
#65 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 12:02:20 AM(UTC)
frida

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)

Today,Roger sets a new record of 287 weeks as NO.1    

congratulations Roger , what a perfect career !    

1 user thanked frida for this useful post.
katmilr on 7/16/2012(UTC)
katmilr
#67 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 1:56:30 PM(UTC)
katmilr

party time
a greatt day

From the ATP website:

Tribute toRoger video:
http://www.atpworldtour....ederer-Record-Reign.aspx

Love the video - It brought tears to my eyes at the end! :oops:

Quote:

ROGER’S RECORD REIGN AT NO. 1

[size=11]Federer Rises Above [/size]
London, U.K.

by James Buddell | 16.07.2012

Roger Federer continues to rewrite history book, this time setting a milestone for most weeks at No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings.
Roger Federer is a genius at winning matches, with aesthetic beauty, in the power era of tennis. Over the course of his career, he has left an indelible mark on the sport’s record books.

Today, he starts his 287th week at No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings. It is another record-breaking milestone in a career of unrivalled achievement.

Federer first became World No. 1 on 2 February 2004, when the average age of the Top 10 was 24.8 years. For 237 consecutive weeks, until 18 August 2008, he was the man to beat, taking the sport to new levels and growing into his role as a global superstar.

His monogram, RF, which is embroidered onto his clothing, has become instantly recognisable by sports fans worldwide. More than 10 million people follow his Facebook feed, on the social networking site, while he has "the most impressive endorsements portfolio in sports" according to Forbes Magazine. He has also shown great leadership qualities as President of the ATP Player Council since June 2008.

In a golden era of men’s professional tennis, Federer and his rivals, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, have won 29 of the past 30 major championships. In that period, since May 2005, Federer, the classical player of his generation, has won 13 of his 17 Grand Slam championship titles from 20 finals.

When nine majors – since the 2010 Australian Open – passed by without a title and the tennis world began to ask questions, he admitted his confidence took a hit. Every champion hopes that their best form can be recaptured, however irrational it might seem. Federer was no exception.

Through hard work with his coach Paul Annacone, he kept putting himself in contention. Andre Agassi, who remains the oldest player to have been No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, at 33 years and 131 days in 2003, proved to be a great inspiration.

The sport’s greatest ambassador has picked up 75 tour-level titles over 12 consecutive seasons and extended his remarkable record of 33 consecutive Grand Slam quarter-finals.

Since losing to Djokovic in the 2011 US Open semi-finals, Federer has compiled an astonishing 63-6 mark, which includes his sixth title at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in November, his 20 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy at the Mutua Madrid Open in May, plus six other pieces of silverware.

Eight days ago, his hard work paid off. By equalling Pete Sampras’ record of seven Wimbledon titles, Federer once again became the World No. 1 just four weeks shy of his 31st birthday.

It was a source of great pride.

The status of being acknowledged as best in the world has always mattered to Federer. Even when he achieved the junior No. 1 ranking in 1998 and after he won his first Grand Slam championship in June 2003 at Wimbledon, getting to the top of the South African Airways ATP Rankings was of primary importance.

Federer continues to embody elegance and effortless style. By playing a light schedule and with luck in avoiding serious injury, he has managed to retain his speed and athleticism, his joy and expressiveness, to rank World No. 1 at a time when the average age of the Top 10 is 26.6 years.

Federer’s love for the sport is intense. He has indicated a desire to compete at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, so the chances of further record-breaking and glory on the grandest of stages cannot be ruled out for, who many consider is, the greatest player of all-time.

http://www.atpworldtour....Federer-No1-Tribute.aspx
katmilr
#68 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 1:59:35 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Nike Zoom Vapor RF 287

Posted on July 15, 2012

Available: July 16, 2012

Roger Federer is a tennis legend. When he captured his 7th Wimbledon title on Sunday, July 8 he did what legends tend to do: break records. On July 16, Roger Federer will become the top ranked tennis player in the world for the 287th week, surpassing his idol Pete Sampras’s record of 286 weeks. To commemorate this momentous achievement, Nike is releasing a limited edition of Roger’s signature shoe, the Nike Zoom Vapor 9 Tour.

Only 287 pairs of the Nike Zoom Vapor RF 287 are being released globally, one for each week Roger has spent at number one. Each pair is packaged in a unique box numbered to represent a particular week of his reign, along with a certificate of authenticity signed by Roger Federer himself. The shoes feature an embroidered gold RF logo on the tongue and a large, lasered “287” in gold on the back heel. An unbelievable shoe for an unbelievable accomplishment.

This opportunity is only available at NikeStore.com. The Nike Zoom Vapor RF 287 will release at 8am EDT / 5am PDT on NikeStore.com Don’t miss your chance to own an exclusive piece of Roger’s reign at the top of the tennis world.

frida on 7/22/2012(UTC)
katmilr
#69 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:02:00 PM(UTC)
katmilr

via nike tennis on facebook
katmilr
#70 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:10:33 PM(UTC)
katmilr

katmilr
#71 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:11:32 PM(UTC)
katmilr

katmilr
#72 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:12:45 PM(UTC)
katmilr

ATP News Release (and video links with media): FEDERER SETS NEW ALL-TIME RECORD FOR WEEKS AT NO. 1 IN SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS ATP RANKINGS
News Release: www.ATPWorldTour.com

16 July 2012

FEDERER SETS NEW ALL-TIME RECORD FOR WEEKS AT

NO. 1 IN SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS ATP RANKINGS

LONDON - Roger Federer has set an all-time record for most weeks at No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of today, Monday 16 July 2012. The Swiss recently captured a seventh career title at Wimbledon to regain the No. 1 ranking for the first time since 31 May 2010, ensuring he would overtake Pete Sampras’ 286-week record as of today.

Federer, who first reached the No. 1 ranking on Monday 2 February 2004, has now held the top spot in the rankings for a record 287 weeks, and is assured of keeping the No. 1 ranking through to the Olympic Games in London.

Media: Download Federer Tribute Image, Video

The Swiss, who now counts a record 17 Grand Slams titles to his name, said: “It is really an amazing feeling for me to have regained the No. 1 ranking on the ATP World Tour. I had set a goal with my team to try and get back to the top of the rankings, but I never thought with the depth in the game this year that I would have been able to get it back so quickly. I am extremely proud and honoured to have beaten Pete’s record as he was my childhood hero and I have always looked up to him.”

Sampras, whose record was finally eclipsed by the Swiss, said: “Great effort. The hardest thing to do in sports is the ability to stay on top. Roger has been able to do so by great play and durability.”

Brad Drewett, ATP Executive Chairman & President, said: “Roger’s amazing results over the past 12 months have been a privilege for everyone in tennis to watch. Regaining the No. 1 position and setting a new benchmark for the greatest number weeks at the top of the South African Airways ATP Rankings is an accomplishment that will rate as highly as any of Roger’s long list of records. His sublime talent and dedication have kept him near or at the very top of the game for the past decade, a truly remarkable feat. We are extremely fortunate to have one of the great athletes of all time representing our sport today.”

Roger By The Numbers:

22 – Aged 22 years, 5 months, when he first became No. 1 on 2 February 2004
30 - Aged 30 years, 11 months today as he sets the record for most weeks at No. 1
237 – Consecutive weeks at No. 1 from 2 February 2004 to the week of 11 August 2008
853 – Has compiled an 853-192 (.816) match wins record over the course of his career
75 – Career titles from 106 finals (.708) since his first title match at 2000 Marseille
17 - Grand Slam titles
20 - ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles
6 - Barclays ATP World Tour Finals titles

View Special Federer Tribute

TOTAL WEEKS AT No. 1 (as of Monday 16 July 2012)
Only 25 players have been ranked No. 1 in the history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings (since 23 August 1973). Only Jimmy Connors (8 years, 10 months, 2 weeks – from 29 July 1974 to 13 June 1983) has had a longer interval than Federer (8 years, 5 months, 1 week – from 2 February 2004 to 9 July 2012) between reaching No. 1 for the first time and regaining it for the latest time.

SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS ATP RANKINGS (Since 1973) - WEEKS AT NO. 1*

Player Tot. Weeks

Roger Federer (SUI) 287*

Pete Sampras (USA) 286

Ivan Lendl (CZE) 270

Jimmy Connors (USA) 268

John McEnroe (USA) 170

Bjorn Borg (SWE) 109

Rafael Nadal (ESP) 102

Andre Agassi (USA) 101

* As of Monday 16 July 2012

***Note to editors: To commemorate Roger Federer setting the record with 287 weeks as World No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings on Monday 16 July, ATP has produced a celebration graphic and video that we encourage you to use free of charge. Visit ATPWorldTour.com to download the image and video.

###

ABOUT THE ATP
The ATP is the governing body of the men’s professional tennis circuits - the ATP World Tour, the ATP Challenger Tour and the ATP Champions Tour. With 62 tournaments in 31 countries, the ATP World Tour showcases the finest male athletes competing in the world’s most exciting venues. From Australia to Europe and the Americas to Asia, the stars of the ATP World Tour battle for prestigious titles and South African Airways ATP Rankings points at ATP World Tour Masters 1000, 500 and 250 events, as well as Grand Slams (non ATP events). At the end of the season only the world’s top 8 ranked men’s singles players and top 8 doubles teams, based on their performance throughout the year, will qualify to compete for the last title of the season at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Held at The O2 in London, the event will officially crown the 2012 ATP World Tour No.1 in singles and doubles. For more information, please visit www.ATPWorldTour.com
katmilr
#73 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:15:26 PM(UTC)
katmilr

katmilr
#74 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:17:01 PM(UTC)
katmilr

katmilr
#75 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:17:33 PM(UTC)
katmilr

<3
katmilr
#66 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2012 2:20:22 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Originally Posted by: frida Go to Quoted Post

Today,Roger sets a new record of 287 weeks as NO.1    

congratulations Roger , what a perfect career !    

Yayyyyy frida!! 

It's a beautiful day for Roger and his fans for sure.

Did you see Roger's facebook?

He put a nice video thanking all his fans.

www.facebook.com/federer

wow! what a guy and champion!!

bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

frida on 7/22/2012(UTC)
frida
#76 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:50:46 AM(UTC)
frida

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1668 time(s) in 673 post(s)
Yeah! I love it ! A real champion !
1 user thanked frida for this useful post.
katmilr on 7/26/2012(UTC)
katmilr
#78 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:32:08 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Roger
on
facebook
Really looking forward to playing in Wimbledon the second time this year!

[/quote]
frida on 7/28/2012(UTC)
katmilr
#79 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:32:48 PM(UTC)
katmilr

[size=11]Famous Federer attracts athletes' attention[/size]
10:05pm BST, By Kylie MacLellan

[img]http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20120726&t=2&i=634746630&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2012-07-26T210554Z_1_CBRE86P1MLY00_RTROPTP_0_OLY-TENN-FEDERER-ADV1[/img]
Swiss tennis player Roger Federer answers a reporter's question during a news conference in the Olympic media centre before the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games July 26, 2012. Credit: Reuters/Sergio Perez

LONDON (Reuters) - Switzerland's Roger Federer has become so popular among both competitors and media that he finds it difficult to walk around the athletes village at the Olympic park, and has journalists gushing over him at press conferences.

The world number one and 17-time grand slam winner has stayed at the athletes village at two of the three Olympics he has attended, but at his fourth in London he will be staying nearer the tennis venue in Wimbledon.

While this is partly down to convenience - the Olympic park is around an hour's drive from Wimbledon - the 30-year-old admitted his fame had also been a consideration.

"I have done the village before so it is not like I feel I have to do the village so badly. I would love to, but of course I have also become very famous over the last eight years or so, so times have also changed and when I do move around in the village things are not as simple as they were," he told the packed 700-capacity main press room at the Olympic media centre. :o

While waiting for the number one seed to arrive, many journalists were using their phones and iPads to take pictures of the seemingly unnecessary "Roger Federer" name placard on the table where he was to sit. As he arrived, people strained over each other to get a picture of him entering the room.

In contrast, only around 50 people turned out to see second seed Serbia's Novak Djokovic,
who won a bronze at the Beijing Games and was knocked off the world number one spot by Federer this month, when he held a press conference an hour earlier along with some of his countrymen.

SLIGHTLY BEMUSED

If seeming slightly bemused by his popularity among the world's media, Federer remained light hearted by his reception.

In response to one journalist, who began by saying "As a journalist and as a fan, I know that you will win this Olympic gold" before asking Federer if he would retire if he achieved that feat, he responded: "I don't know, are you my fan or not? If you don't want me to stop, I wont."

While when another member of the media who confessed to being a big fan "like so many other journalists" asked who was the biggest star of the games, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps or Roger Federer he responded "Well, not me".

Federer, who won gold in the doubles at Beijing with Stanislas Wawrinka, said singles gold was far from a certainty, partly down to the fact that all but the final match will be best of three sets rather than the grand slam best five.

"That puts the margins more closer to each other," said Federer, who would have been out in the third round of Wimbledon under such rules, having gone two sets down to France's Julien Benneteau - his potential second round opponent at the Olympics.

"It just goes to show a bad five minutes or a bad couple of points can cost you the tournament, I am aware of that but I do believe winning Wimbledon three weeks ago is going to help me with my confidence," said Federer, who faces Colombia's Alejandro Falla in the first round.

Away from chasing the gold, Federer, who has become a father for the first time since the last Olympics, also has the important task of picking out a present or two for his twin daughters, who have just turned three.

"I will try to have a look and get some souvenirs," said Federer,
who met his wife Mirka at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. "A good dad should bring back some souvenirs from time to time."

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; Editing by Ossian Shine)

http://uk.reuters.com/ar...t&utm_medium=twitter
frida on 2/26/2013(UTC)
katmilr
#80 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:35:08 PM(UTC)
katmilr

frida on 7/28/2012(UTC)
katmilr
#81 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:35:52 PM(UTC)
katmilr

katmilr
#82 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:40:54 PM(UTC)
katmilr

:lol:

but, he made it! :lol:

I guess he was just told he can't play in all-white :lol:

frida on 2/26/2013(UTC)
katmilr
#83 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:42:04 PM(UTC)
katmilr

With Spanish handball team: