logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

20 Pages123>»
Games of the XXX Olympiad -- Team Russia
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 1:13:51 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

I'm starting the Olympic thread now. The 30th modern Olympic Games are scheduled to take place in London, England, United Kingdom, from 27 July to 12 August 2012. Just three weeks after Wimbledon, Masha will return to the All-England Club as an Olympic venue.

The Tennis Event will be played Saturday 28 July – Sunday 5 August. While that is over eight months away, Masha knows that preparation begins NOW.

http://www.london2012.com/tennis 

Make no mistake: Masha winning the Gold would represent the greatest moment of her career. Even short of that goal, her participation in Team Russia is a pivotal moment whose reverberations spread far beyond the tennis court.

paul_pipkin;311698 wrote:

Maria Sharapova: I want to win a medal in London 

October 28, 2011, № 167 (18 550)

"The main objective - OLYMPICS!"

- This is an Olympic season. - That's it! And it is very difficult. Summer will be a busy schedule - two "Grand Slams" in a row, then the Olympics and almost immediately - US Open. We'll have to sweat heavily

- But the main purpose for you ... 
- Olympics! I very much want to win a medal in London. So now it is so important to fully recover and better prepare for the beginning of the year

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/489251

TOP RUSSIANS WTA RANKINGS AS OF NOVEMBER 7, 2011

4 Sharapova, Maria 6510 need to play (or "be available to play") ONE 

more Fed Cup tie.

7 Zvonareva, Vera 5435 POSSIBLY QUALIFIED

16 Pavlyuchenkova, Nastia 2865 QUALIFIED

19 Kuznetsova, Svetlana 2606 QUALIFIED

28 Kirilenko, Maria 1930 need to play (or "be available to play") ONE 

more Fed Cup tie.

29 Petrova, Nadia 1765 would need to play TWO FC ties.

39 Pervak, Ksenia 1365 would need to play TWO FC ties.

52 Makarova, Ekaterina 1114 QUALIFIED

57 Vesnina, Elena 1105 need to play (or "be available to play") ONE 

more Fed Cup tie.

At least six Russian players need to be qualified. Likely seven will be qualified after Russia vs 
Spain, February 4-5 2012 at Olympic Stadium in Moscow.

Pervak may kontrakt to play under another flag. If possible, Shamil might try to qualify Petrova for additional backup.

It MAY be possible to field TWO womens doubles pairs. (Provision for that in previous rules.)
Assumption is Kirilenko will play the new mixed doubles with fiance Igor Andreev.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
3 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 11/7/2011(UTC), rahim57 on 11/7/2011(UTC), @Sweet Cleopatra on 2/1/2012(UTC)
rahim57
#2 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 6:00:51 PM(UTC)
rahim57

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)

paul_pipkin;311797 wrote:

I'm starting the Olympic thread now. The 30th modern Olympic Games are scheduled to take place in London, England, United Kingdom, from 27 July to 12 August 2012. Just three weeks after Wimbledon, Masha will return to the All-England Club as an Olympic venue.

The Tennis Event will be played Saturday 28 July – Sunday 5 August. While that is over eight months away, Masha knows that preparation begins NOW.

http://www.london2012.com/tennis 

Make no mistake: Masha winning the Gold would represent the greatest moment of her career. Even short of that goal, her participation in Team Russia is a pivotal moment whose reverberations spread far beyond the tennis court.

paul_pipkin;311698 wrote:

Maria Sharapova: I want to win a medal in London 

October 28, 2011, № 167 (18 550)

"The main objective - OLYMPICS!"

- This is an Olympic season. - That's it! And it is very difficult. Summer will be a busy schedule - two "Grand Slams" in a row, then the Olympics and almost immediately - US Open. We'll have to sweat heavily

- But the main purpose for you ... 
- Olympics! I very much want to win a medal in London. So now it is so important to fully recover and better prepare for the beginning of the year

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/489251

TOP RUSSIANS WTA RANKINGS AS OF NOVEMBER 7, 2011

4 Sharapova, Maria 6510 need to play (or "be available to play") ONE 

more Fed Cup tie.

7 Zvonareva, Vera 5435 POSSIBLY QUALIFIED

16 Pavlyuchenkova, Nastia 2865 QUALIFIED

19 Kuznetsova, Svetlana 2606 QUALIFIED

28 Kirilenko, Maria 1930 need to play (or "be available to play") ONE 

more Fed Cup tie.

29 Petrova, Nadia 1765 would need to play TWO FC ties.

39 Pervak, Ksenia 1365 would need to play TWO FC ties.

52 Makarova, Ekaterina 1114 QUALIFIED

57 Vesnina, Elena 1105 need to play (or "be available to play") ONE 

more Fed Cup tie.

At least six Russian players need to be qualified. Likely seven will be qualified after Russia vs 
Spain, February 4-5 2012 at Olympic Stadium in Moscow.

Pervak may kontrakt to play under another flag. If possible, Shamil might try to qualify Petrova for additional backup.

It MAY be possible to field TWO womens doubles pairs. (Provision for that in previous rules.)
Assumption is Kirilenko will play the new mixed doubles with fiance Igor Andreev.

Hello!

I believe that Maria cans reach this wish if she works seriously her aspect Concentration in the game. She needs a big stability and regularity in her game. She have a little details to correct. Good Chance for her 

paul_pipkin
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:41:39 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Agree. "A" medal is quite do-able. Champion takes the gold & finalist silver--at the same time, the two losing semifinalists play for the bronze. So three of the four who make the semfinals will get a medal. 

Further indication Shamil will qualify Petrova:

Image Kirilenko will play with Petrova in the doubles
November 8, 2011, 11:11 Galkevich S.

Next season, Russian tennis player Maria Kirilenko will play in the doubles with compatriot Nadia Petrova, according to Tennis.com. Kirilenko announced her decision at the Federation Cup final.
Recall that in 2011, Kirilenko has played with Victoria Azarenka of Belarus.

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/491261 

masha

Valkyre
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:45:54 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
And I hope you do Maria... I really hope you do. 2008 was very harsh on her...she was playing her best tennis and she got the shoulder injury...she couldnt play in Beijing...

I really hope she is fit and ready to make her dream come true in London! Davai!
paul_pipkin
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:05:19 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Dart, I'd started this thread two months ago. I'm not touchy about that sorta thing, but it had already been in use.  

Too bad Dementieva didn't hang in to fetch a Bronze to complete her collection. But I don't imagine, with her Gold &Silver, Elena grieves much over it.  

So where we at? Deadline to qualify for the Olympic Games in London in tennis will be in June 2012. We KNOW the Russian Federation will play ONE more tie--nrxt weekend in Moscow--they MAY play two during that period of time. 

Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasiya Pavlyuchenkova & Ekaterina Makarova are QUALIFIED for London 2012. At least six Russian players need to be qualified. Vera Zvonareva is probably also qualified as she was nominated for last year's final, though had to be replaced due to injury. This weelend''s tie should qualify Nadezhda Petrova  as well.

Maria Sharapova, Maria Kirilenko, & Elena Vesnina all need to play (or "be available to play") ONE more Fed Cup tie. Thus for Masha, Russia vs Spain, February 4-5 at Olympic Stadium in Moscow. (Possible that Kiri & Vesnina may qualify solely as doubles players?)

The Games of the XXX Olympiad (30th modern Olympic Games) are scheduled to take place in London, England, United Kingdom, from 27 July to 12 August 2012

The Tennis Event will be played Saturday 28 July – Sunday 5 August http://www.london2012.com/tennis

Curiously little commentary that Wimbly followed by the Olympiad make for an extended grass season--Masha's best surface. 

@Sweet Cleopatra
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 7:16:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I think the best thing that can happen to any player is to be an Olympian. To be a Russian Olympian is a plus. Very good players from many sports represented Russia and former USSR in the Olympics.

I wish I was an Olympian . Spend the time in the Olympic area, Represent my country, my fathers and mothers country, and may even win a medal. Wow what an oppurtinuity. I wish Maria all health to reach that dream. 

1 user thanked @Sweet Cleopatra for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 2/1/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:14:13 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

@Sweet Cleopatra;312978 wrote:

I think the best thing that can happen to any player is to be an Olympian. To be a Russian Olympian is a plus. Very good players from many sports represented Russia and former USSR in the Olympics.

I wish I was an Olympian . Spend the time in the Olympic area, Represent my country, my fathers and mothers country, and may even win a medal. Wow what an oppurtinuity. I wish Maria all health to reach that dream. 

CLEO!!!   Great to hear from you. Midaso is back too. Maria's Mafiya regroups! 

Hey, come to the Shoutbox--grey strip on first page of forum. Click "+" to open the chat -- at Fed Cup time, beginning Saturday at 10:00 GMT.

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Nescogirl on 8/6/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:28:50 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

MARIA WANTED THESE OLYMPIC GAMES IN MOSCOW 

Maria Sharapova Supports Moscow 2012 Olympic Bid

Tennis Star Maria Sharapova Supports Moscow 2012 Olympic Bid

The Moscow 2012 Bid Committee is proud to announce that Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova has agreed to become an Ambassador to promote Moscow as the Host City for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova.

“For Moscow to host the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games would be a dream for me and millions of other Russians, and I am looking forward to helping explain why Moscow should host the Games,” says Sharapova.

“Russia has a very strong history of sport and having the Olympic Games in Moscow in 2012 would be a new and brilliant chapter in that history,” says the 17-year-old.

Welcoming her as an Ambassador, the Mayor of Moscow, Yuri Luzhkov, said: “We are delighted that Maria Sharapova, a bright young sports star, has agreed to be an international ambassador for our bid. She is an example of the finest Russia has to offer the world and the perfect symbol for Moscow’s bid to host the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

Sharapova is currently playing in the Australian Open and hopes to build on her success of last year – winning Wimbledon in July and the WTA Tour Championships in November. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

@Sweet Cleopatra
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:59:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

paul_pipkin;312979 wrote:

Hey, come to the Shoutbox--grey strip on first page of forum. Click "+" to open the chat -- at Fed Cup time, beginning Saturday at 10:00 GMT.

Hi Paul, How are you?   omg I am gonna abuse this emotion  it's really cool

Midaso  I was so stupid 3 years ago I remember I  sent him a love pm or something like that, it's cool to grow up  how is he?

paul_pipkin
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:42:44 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

@Sweet Cleopatra;312982 wrote:

paul_pipkin;312979 wrote:

Hi Paul, How are you?   omg I am gonna abuse this emotion  it's really cool

Midaso  I was so stupid 3 years ago I remember I  sent him a love pm or something like that, it's cool to grow up  how is he?

Okay, I hope. He posted on one of the threads last night. (We'd worried about him when we didn't hear anything after the Christchurch earthqusake.) 

A love pm? Hey, he might appreciate it more now. How old are you now--18 or so, hunh? 

paul_pipkin
#11 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2012 1:12:32 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Russia won the tie & Masha and Nadezhda are now fully qualified for London in the summer.  

There will be yet another another Moscow tie versus Serbia April 21-22, when Shamil can qualify Vesnina & Kiri. He will then have eight qualified olimpionikasHe can only take six women, so you see, the Olympic Team Russia will be injury-proof

paul_pipkin
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:48:58 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

paul_pipkin;313045 wrote:

Russia won the tie & Masha and Nadezhda are now fully qualified for London in the summer.  

There will be yet another another Moscow tie versus Serbia April 21-22, when Shamil can qualify Vesnina & Kiri. He will then have eight qualified olimpionikasHe can only take six women, so you see, the Olympic Team Russia will be injury-proof

April 21-22 Moscow

• Venue: Sports Palace "Megasport", Moscow, Russia

• Start times: 
    Day 1: 1500 hrs (1100 hrs GMT)
    Day 2: 1400 hrs (1000 hrs GMT)

• Surface: Clay (Red Clay), Indoor

http://www.fedcup.com/en...ils.aspx?tieId=100017592 

RUS Flag TEAM NOMINATIONS - Russia

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Maria KIRILENKO

• Date of birth: 25 Jan 1987

• Singles ranking: 21

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA

• Date of birth: 03 Jul 1991

• Singles ranking: 22

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Svetlana KUZNETSOVA

• Date of birth: 27 Jun 1985

• Singles ranking: 27

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Elena VESNINA

• Date of birth: 01 Aug 1986

• Singles ranking: 78

• Team captain Shamil TARPISCHEV

paul_pipkin
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:37:17 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

So here's the Team:

Sharapova, Maria 

Zvonareva, Vera

Pavlyuchenkova, Nastia

Kuznetsova, Svetlana 

Kirilenko, Maria 

Petrova, Nadezhda

Makarova, Ekaterina

Vesnina, Elena

Shamil can take six of the eight to London 

Possible doubles pairs:

Zvonareva & Kuznetsova

Kirilenko  & Petrova

Makarova & Vesnina

Shamil can field two pairs. 

Brebis
#14 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 3:37:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

paul_pipkin;314660 wrote:

So here's the Team:

Sharapova, Maria 

Zvonareva, Vera

Pavlyuchenkova, Nastia

Kuznetsova, Svetlana 

Kirilenko, Maria 

Petrova, Nadezhda

Makarova, Ekaterina

Vesnina, Elena

Shamil can take six of the eight to London 

Possible doubles pairs:

Zvonareva & Kuznetsova

Kirilenko  & Petrova

Makarova & Vesnina

Shamil can field two pairs. 

The time is getting closer to July and a tough few months ahead for all players. Makarova and Vesnina should not be nominated for singles.  Don't know about Maria , she freezes under "golden "pressure. ( just kidding ) 

MiniMasha12
#15 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 4:18:57 PM(UTC)
MiniMasha12

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The most recent match between Kirilenko and Sharapova was good. Kirilenko was breaking rules and getting mad. ah Maria vs. Maria.
paul_pipkin
#16 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 8:53:39 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Thanx to Daratagnan

Elena Vesnina at home in Sochi. She is now qualified. If she is called for London, she will probably play doubles with Katya Makarova.

Dartagnan
#17 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 9:29:33 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

paul_pipkin;314965 wrote:

Thanx to Daratagnan

Elena Vesnina at home in Sochi. She is now qualified. If she is called for London, she will probably play doubles with Katya Makarova.

Last interview of Elena VESNINA in february 2012/

«What is your relationship with Sharapova like? Did you get the sense that she is a little closed off?»

Elena Vesnina: «We chat to each other occasionally, though I wouldn’t call us close friends. This time around she was the same as always – pretty friendly, communicative. But for Masha it is psychologically hard to play in Moscow – feels the burden of her previous defeats here. When things didn’t seem to be working out in the local tournaments, she was distraught, she wanted to end the her bad run. Maybe that is why she seemed a bit distant, but to me she seems fine.»

«What should Elena Vesnina’s boyfriend be like?» Elena is still single so be manly with her....

Elena Vesnina: «I’d struggle to describe him. When you meet someone who is spiritually close to you, it doesn’t really matter what they do. Kindness, honesty, decency – these are all basic qualities, but I value them highly. And he has to be manly, of course.

«Why did you decide to stop being blonde?»

Elena Vesnina: «I just wanted something different, so I dyed my hair. Actually, I am quite pleased with the result. But who knows, maybe I’ll wake up tomorrow and will dye it blonde again.»

http://www.sports.ru/en/tennis/137370054.html

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 4/23/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#18 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 12:41:52 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Maria doesn't like upcoming Olympic changes

Ticker - Sunday, April 29, 2012

Maria Sharapova is critical of the ITF’s reported changes to the Olympics eligibility rule. Tennisspace.com reported that the ITF has already decided to change its eligibility rules for the 2016 Olympics, doubling the number of Fed Cup ties players must make themselves available for the four-year period leading up to 2016. Currently, players only have to make themselves available for two ties in the two years preceding the Olympics. Sharapova has played two ties for Russia in 2011 and 2012, but in the past has said that being required to play in multiple Fed Cup ties makes it too difficult on the players' schedules.

"I’m disappointed," Sharapova told the press in Stuttgart. "I met with them one on Miami. They didn't listen to us at all."

http://tennis.com/articl...leid=17461&zoneid=25

paul_pipkin
#22 Posted : Friday, May 04, 2012 1:58:46 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Olympic missiles unveiled at Blackheath

Soldiers in front of the missiles at BlackheathSoldiers in front of the missiles at Blackheath

SURFACE-TO-AIR missiles arrived in Blackheath yesterday in a bid to defend London against a "worst-case scenario" 9/11-style attack.

The military chose Blackheath as one of six "favourite" sites including Oxleas Meadow.

The Blackheath and Oxleas Rapier missiles have a range of up to five miles and can travel more than twice the speed of sound.

Armed Forces spokesmen stressed there are no specific threats to the Games and that the preparations are precautionary for the "very unlikely" event of an attack.

Army commander of joint ground based air defences Colonel Jon Campbell said: "There is no indication of an enhanced threat at this time.

"The principal role of air defence is to detect."

He added: "The Games are in a geographical bowl.

"We will have around 14 to 15 air observers with an unblinking ability to look at the skies."

"The principal ability of the Rapier system is world-class radar.

"It is to get the very best picture of what is happening in the skies of London."

He went on to say the decision to fire the missiles would be political and the first response would be escorting unknown aircraft out of the space.

RAF Air Vice-Marshall Stuart Atha said the missiles were for the "worst-case scenario" of a "very unlikely attack" on the Games. 

He added that without the exercise, the ability to respond to an attack would be "zero".

Greenwich and Bexley Trades Council spokesman Dave Putson is concerned about the need for missiles and fears they could become a terrorist target.

He said: "This is just big boys and their toys. I think we are already safe.

"Doesn’t this become a terrorist target?"

But Col Jon Campbell assured residents the missiles are designed to deter terrorists, however he refused to comment on the impact to residents if they were fired.

Lewisham Council's ward member for Blackheath, Cllr Kevin Bonavia, says there has been a "mixed reaction" to the missiles among Blackheath residents and that most worry about the impact on their daily lives.

However Col Jon Campbell moved to reassure locals, saying: "Blackheath is one of our favourite sites.

"Our impact will be low. There will not be much traffic going in and out."

RAPIER MISSILES

were developed for the British Army and Royal Air Force and entered operation in 1971.

The original Rapier FSA was deployed during the Falklands War against low-flying aircraft.

Missile Range: Min. 500m - max. 8,000m (0.3 miles - 4.97 miles)

Missile Speed: Mach 2+ (more than twice the speed of sound, or just over 1520mph)

Missile Length: 2.35m Missile Diameter: 0.133m

(Neither the Blackheath nor Oxleas Meadow site is within range of Wimnledon.)

Dartagnan
#23 Posted : Friday, May 04, 2012 2:11:49 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

That means there is no more security in England. I hope there won't be a military battle during the Olympic Games in Mondon. 

paul_pipkin;315366 wrote:

Olympic missiles unveiled at Blackheath

Soldiers in front of the missiles at BlackheathSoldiers in front of the missiles at Blackheath

SURFACE-TO-AIR missiles arrived in Blackheath yesterday in a bid to defend London against a "worst-case scenario" 9/11-style attack.

The military chose Blackheath as one of six "favourite" sites including Oxleas Meadow.

The Blackheath and Oxleas Rapier missiles have a range of up to five miles and can travel more than twice the speed of sound.

Armed Forces spokesmen stressed there are no specific threats to the Games and that the preparations are precautionary for the "very unlikely" event of an attack.

Army commander of joint ground based air defences Colonel Jon Campbell said: "There is no indication of an enhanced threat at this time.

"The principal role of air defence is to detect."

He added: "The Games are in a geographical bowl.

"We will have around 14 to 15 air observers with an unblinking ability to look at the skies."

"The principal ability of the Rapier system is world-class radar.

"It is to get the very best picture of what is happening in the skies of London."

He went on to say the decision to fire the missiles would be political and the first response would be escorting unknown aircraft out of the space.

RAF Air Vice-Marshall Stuart Atha said the missiles were for the "worst-case scenario" of a "very unlikely attack" on the Games. 

He added that without the exercise, the ability to respond to an attack would be "zero".

Greenwich and Bexley Trades Council spokesman Dave Putson is concerned about the need for missiles and fears they could become a terrorist target.

He said: "This is just big boys and their toys. I think we are already safe.

"Doesn’t this become a terrorist target?"

But Col Jon Campbell assured residents the missiles are designed to deter terrorists, however he refused to comment on the impact to residents if they were fired.

Lewisham Council's ward member for Blackheath, Cllr Kevin Bonavia, says there has been a "mixed reaction" to the missiles among Blackheath residents and that most worry about the impact on their daily lives.

However Col Jon Campbell moved to reassure locals, saying: "Blackheath is one of our favourite sites.

"Our impact will be low. There will not be much traffic going in and out."

RAPIER MISSILES

were developed for the British Army and Royal Air Force and entered operation in 1971.

The original Rapier FSA was deployed during the Falklands War against low-flying aircraft.

Missile Range: Min. 500m - max. 8,000m (0.3 miles - 4.97 miles)

Missile Speed: Mach 2+ (more than twice the speed of sound, or just over 1520mph)

Missile Length: 2.35m Missile Diameter: 0.133m

(Neither the Blackheath nor Oxleas Meadow site is within range of Wimnledon.)