logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

15 Pages«<131415
Australian Open 2012
Valkyre
#286 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:23:32 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

saggittarian;312955 wrote:

It will be crazy for Maria to change her team at this point in her career when she is doing incredibly well. Just because she lost the final in a GS doesn't mean it is her team's fault. On the contrary, I think it is her team that has helped her get this far in such a short time. I'd hate to think what her ranking would be right now if she had stayed with Michael Joyce.

Exactly, this isnt a matter of who is to be "blamed". It is nobody's "fault". Maria has improved her game, at least from what I saw in her overall performance in AO 2012. People seem to forget that Maria came to the Australian Open with ZERO games prior to this. And if you follow the sport, or any sport, you know how important is to have a few matches before the start of the season to "tune up" and realize where your game is compared to the competition.

People really forgot that... Maria came to the Australian Open and I for one wouldnt be surprised if she couldnt reach even the quarterfinals... I mean she is coming off an injury and a hiatus period. She has no clue where her game is. And yet even after all these odds against her she reached the finals. And she didnt just reached the finals, she stormed through the entire draw, except the match with Kvitova which was really a close one. Other than that she was dominating.

Then came the final, which yes, was an awful awful match. But there is no one to "blame", Maria did much better than last year. Reaching a Final comming off an injury and without any matches to tune up, is certainly no small task. I am not worried. Maria is heading the right way. The only thing that might worry me is how she is going to deal mentally from the way she lost in this final. In my opinion she should see the bigger picture and not linger in her bad performance just that one day.

I believe she is going to do just fine!

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
saggittarian on 1/31/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#287 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:35:45 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

I agree with you but a 6:0 at a final with a younger player who had less experience than Masha in tennis. It is not normal. I would be happy if the match were very tight and the result were 7:5 7:5.

I would have think that Masha was very tired and she might have lost the match.

But a 6:0 with a younger tennis player. It is very bad. 

Yes Masha improved her level of tennis. Yes she had a shoulder injury. 

I would also like that Masha tried to have an European coach because nowadays the best tennis players are European and have european coaches for example it is the case of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic.  

Vika has a french coach now and she played better. At this final Vika has imposed her game to Masha, she controlled all balls, she made Masha running a lot like a new tennis player. Vika was the brain of this match. 

Masha should have been Vika's teacher at this final but it was not the case. Vika became Masha's teacher. 

It is not normal. I would like also to add that the serve is not the most important part of a tennis match. 

For example Serena Williams was the player who had the strongest serves and plenty of aces at the AO 2012  but she didn't win the tournament.

Serves don't always give you the victory, you have to move your ass and play a good tennis for that you need a good physical condition and a good strategy. You should vary easily your game according the weak position of your opponent. It is the job of your team to work with you and reach your goals quickly or a change in the team will be necessary. The next choice of coach should be "European". 

Valkyre;312956 wrote:

saggittarian;312955 wrote:

It will be crazy for Maria to change her team at this point in her career when she is doing incredibly well. Just because she lost the final in a GS doesn't mean it is her team's fault. On the contrary, I think it is her team that has helped her get this far in such a short time. I'd hate to think what her ranking would be right now if she had stayed with Michael Joyce.

Exactly, this isnt a matter of who is to be "blamed". It is nobody's "fault". Maria has improved her game, at least from what I saw in her overall performance in AO 2012. People seem to forget that Maria came to the Australian Open with ZERO games prior to this. And if you follow the sport, or any sport, you know how important is to have a few matches before the start of the season to "tune up" and realize where your game is compared to the competition.

People really forgot that... Maria came to the Australian Open and I for one wouldnt be surprised if she couldnt reach even the quarterfinals... I mean she is coming off an injury and a hiatus period. She has no clue where her game is. And yet even after all these odds against her she reached the finals. And she didnt just reached the finals, she stormed through the entire draw, except the match with Kvitova which was really a close one. Other than that she was dominating.

Then came the final, which yes, was an awful awful match. But there is no one to "blame", Maria did much better than last year. Reaching a Final comming off an injury and without any matches to tune up, is certainly no small task. I am not worried. Maria is heading the right way. The only thing that might worry me is how she is going to deal mentally from the way she lost in this final. In my opinion she should see the bigger picture and not linger in her bad performance just that one day.

I believe she is going to do just fine!

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Imnumber2
#261 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:39:54 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

midaso;312952 wrote:

Imnumber2;312897 wrote:

Hate telling you this but I've been on Maria's forum since day 1 along with Cleo, Stephen, Tiger and Midaso.

Yes,yes I have

WOW, IT'S NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU MAN!!!! 

VERY HAPPY AND HOPE TO SEE YOU MORE!!!!! 

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
paul_pipkin
#262 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:34:08 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

Imnumber2;312959 wrote:

midaso;312952 wrote:

Imnumber2;312897 wrote:

Hate telling you this but I've been on Maria's forum since day 1 along with Cleo, Stephen, Tiger and Midaso.

Yes,yes I have

WOW, IT'S NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU MAN!!!! 

VERY HAPPY AND HOPE TO SEE YOU MORE!!!!! 

Hey, Midaso! (Paul waves arms) Been missing you, too, man. Great to hear from you. 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Valkyre
#288 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:26:42 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Hey folks, finally had the time to update my highlight reel thread of Maria with her AO 2012 full performance. You can find it here:

http://www.mariasharapov...px#post312578#post312578

Enjoy :)
1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 2/14/2012(UTC)