logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<34567>
Fed Cup
Dartagnan
#76 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:32:15 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Beautiful picture of Masha !!!!!!

She is welcomed in Moscow. 

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

The Eagle has Landed

31.01.2012 Мария Шарапова прилетела в Москву

Maria Sharapova , the runner-up of the Australian Open 2012, ranked #3 in the world, arrived today in the Sheremetyevo airport. Tomorrow, at 11.30 she will start her preparation for the ¼ Fed Cup tie against Spain. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

paul_pipkin
#82 Posted : Friday, February 03, 2012 8:21:21 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

Sharapova begins Russian campaign

MOSCOW, RUSSIA: Silvia Soler-Espinosa could not have wished for a harder start to her Fed Cup by BNP Paribas campaign. The world No. 77 will play her first-ever match in the competition against none other than three-time Grand Slam champion, Maria Sharapova, and the Spanish No. two says she’s going to be in for a tough afternoon against her Russian opponent.

“It’s going to be a very tough match as she is an excellent player and she reached the final at the Australian Open. I have a few nerves coming into the match, but I think that is good. I just want to enjoy myself and play a good game,” said the 24-year-old.

Her opponent, Maria Sharapova, comes into the tie brimming with confidence, after she managed to get to the final of the Australian Open, before losing to Viktoria Azarenka in straight sets. The Russian already has one eye on trying to qualify for her country’s Olympic team, and the 24-year-old says she’s looking forward to playing for her country again.

“The preparations are all for the days ahead and I am really looking forward to the weekend. I don’t know much about her game, but some of my teammates do, we are just going to go out there and it doesn’t matter whether they are experienced or not, we are just going to try and play our best tennis,” said Sharapova.

The Russian number one didn’t have the happiest of times the last time she played for her country in the Fed Cup. On that occasion she lost her only match of the tie against France and Sharapova is determined to put in a better performance almost a year on, saying: “this is a new year and I am looking to put what happened last year behind me.”

The second match on court sees Svetlana Kuznetsova in action against Carla Suarez Navarro. There may be 41 places separating the pair in the world rankings, but it was the Spaniard who won their last encounter in three sets two years ago. Even despite that loss, the St Petersburg native will start as the strong favourite and she’s just happy to be back home in Russia.

“It’s going to be a tough match; she’s a resourceful opponent and she plays with a lot of speed. Coming back from Australia, the most difficult thing for me is adjusting to the time zones and it’s been hard to sleep. I love being home and it’s the best feeling ever.”

Silvia Soler-Espinosa will not be the only debutante on the Spanish team. Former Fed Cup champion and six-time Grand Slam winner, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario will be captaining her country for the first time. The 40-year-old may have won almost everything there was to win on the WTA tour in a career that spanned almost two decades. However, the Barcelona native says she’s relishing the challenge of trying to help out a new generation of Spanish tennis players.

“I feel fine and we have nothing to lose as the Russians are the favourites. It’s going to be an interesting experience for me as this is the first time I have been the captain. My players are ready and they are all going to give one hundred percent and of course they have nothing to lose, so they can play their best and we will see what happens.”

It’s going to be a tough ask for Sanchez Vicario and the Spanish team to try and beat this star studded Russian line-up. However, as the Spanish captain stated on more than one occasion, her girls have nothing to lose and will be no doubt hoping for a little over confidence from their more illustrious Russian opponents as they look to cause what would be one of the biggest upsets in recent Fed Cup history.

The full draw is listed below.

Saturday
R1: Sharapova (RUS) v Soler-Espinosa (ESP)
R2: Kuznetsova (RUS) v Suarez Navarro (ESP)

Sunday
R3: Sharapova (RUS) v Suarez Navarro (ESP)
R4: Kuznetsova (RUS) v Soler-Espinosa (ESP)
R5: Makarova / Petrova (RUS) v Llagostera Vives / Parra-Santonja (ESP) 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 2/3/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#83 Posted : Friday, February 03, 2012 2:55:02 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

MASHA

Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova, left, talks with Maria Sharapova during the draw ceremony ahead of a Fed Cup match between Russia and Spain in Moscow, Russia, Friday, Feb. 3, 2012. 

http://www.knoxnews.com/photos/2012/feb/03/192062/ 

Masha is living near the Kremlin.  Masha looks sweet with her red hat. 

http://www.fedcup.com/en/home.aspx

masha

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

Dartagnan
#84 Posted : Friday, February 03, 2012 3:01:46 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Sharapova leads Russia against Spain in Fed Cup

http://www.chron.com/spo...n-in-Fed-Cup-2985974.php

Russia's Maria Sharapova, right, and Ekaterina Makarova smile during team's news conference in Moscow, Russia, Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012. Russia faces Spain at their World Group first round tennis match on the upcoming weekend. Photo: Ivan Sekretarev / AP

masha

Russia tennis team from left, Ekaterina Makarova, Nadia Petrova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Maria Sharapova and team captain Shamil Tarpischev pose after the draw ceremony ahead of a Fed Cup match between Russia and Spain in Moscow, Russia, Friday, Feb. 3, 2012. Photo: Misha Japaridze / AP

masha

MOSCOW (AP) — Three-time Grand Slam championMaria Sharapova will play Silvia Soler-Espinosa in the opening singles match Saturday when Russia hosts Spain in the first round of the Fed Cup.

Two-time Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsovawill face Carla Suarez Navarro in the second match.

"I'm satisfied with the draw," Sharapova said. "I wanted to play in the first match and I'm happy I will."

It will be Sharapova's third appearance for Russia. The Australian Open runner-up won both her singles matches against Israel in 2008 but lost in opening singles against France last year.

Russia is the clear favorite to win but Sharapova refused to underestimate the opponent.

"Last season, we were favorites against France at the same stage of the competition but fell 2-0 down after the opening singles," Sharapova said. "We were lucky to win in the end."

In Sunday's reverse singles, Sharapova will play Suarez Navarro, while Kuznetsova will take on Soler-Espinosa. In the doubles match, the Russian pair of Nadia Petrova and Ekaterina Makarova will play Nuria Llagostera Vives and Arantxa Parra Santonja.

The reverse singles and doubles pairings in the best-of-five series on the indoor hard court at the Olympic indoor stadium can be changed depending on the results of earlier matches.

Russia has won the Fed Cup title four times since 2004 and is 5-1 against Spain, which won the title five times between 1991 and 1998.

The winner will play Belgium or Serbia in the semifinals April 21-22.

Dartagnan
#85 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 5:29:12 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

DAVAI MASHA !!!! 

masha

1 user thanked Dartagnan for this useful post.
PodgeMcQ on 2/4/2012(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova
#87 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:29:33 AM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I've already known that Maria's gonna win since she has a much higher rank than all ppl. LOL!!!
Dartagnan
#88 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 12:48:10 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Fed Cup: Russia leads Spain 2-0 after 1st day

MOSCOW (AP) — Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova won opening singles matches Saturday to give Russia a 2-0 lead over Spain in the first round of the Fed Cup.

Sharapova routed Silvia Soler-Espinosa 6-2, 6-1. Kuznetsova then downed Carla Suarez Navarro 6-3, 6-1.

After an early exchange of breaks, Sharapova won four consecutive games in the first set and four more in the second. She closed the match on her first match point with a forehand that Fed Cup rookie Soler-Espinosa failed to return.

"I was a bit nervous before the beginning of the match as I failed to show my best tennis in my previous Fed Cup appearance in Moscow," Sharapova said.

Sharapova is playing for Russia for the third time. The three-time Grand Slam champion won both her singles matches against Israel in 2008. She lost in opening singles against France last year.

"It was very important to stay concentrated, to believe and prove that my tennis is better and to win the match," shed said. "Luckily, I managed to do all that and now I'm really satisfied with my performance."

Russia has won the Fed Cup title four times since 2004 and is 5-1 against Spain, which won the title five times between 1991 and 1998. The series winner will play Belgium or Serbia in the semifinals on April 21-22.

Kuznetsova won four consecutive games before Suarez Navarro narrowed the gap to 4-3 in the first set. But the two-time major winner won five more games in a row to take a 3-0 lead in the second set. She converted her second match point with a service winner.

"From the scoreline, the match looked easy but in fact it was a bit difficult," Kuznetsova said. "But I've played rather well today and I'm satisfied with my tennis."

In Sunday's reverse singles, Sharapova will face Suarez Navarro, and Kuznetsova will take on Soler-Espinosa. In doubles, Russia's Nadia Petrova and Ekaterina Makarova will play Nuria Llagostera Vives and Arantxa Parra Santonja.

Read more: http://www.greenwichtime...018989.php#ixzz1lR7KtO2T

MASHA

Dartagnan
#89 Posted : Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:30:41 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Kuznetsova finishes off Spain in Fed Cup

Published: 05 February, 2012, 18:28

masha

Russian tennis star, Svetlana Kuznetsova (RIA Novosti / Anton Denisov)

TAGS: SharapovaKuznetsovaFed CupTransfer

Svetlana Kuznetsova’s has brought Russia’s Fed Cup team the winning point in their home quarterfinal encounter against Spain.

Russia entered the final day of the tie with a confident 2-0 lead. But it was not all good news for coach Shamil Tarpischev, as his team experienced severe selection problems before Sunday’s games.

The country’s best tennis player, Maria Sharapova, was forced out of action with a cold and a high temperature, while her substitute, Ksenia Makarova, also couldn’t compete due to injury.

So it was an unprepared Nadya Petrova who stepped into the court against Carla Suarez Navarro and allowed Spain get a point back as the Russian went down without a fight, 6-0, 6-3.  

“I was told that I’m playing today just two hours before the match,” Petrova told Sport-Express newspaper. “I did not have time and couldn’t properly prepare. It was very difficult to play in such conditions. As a result, I was unable to catch the rhythm of the game.”

Thankfully for the Moscow crowd, Svetlana Kuznetsova turned up in far better shape to boost the national team.   

But her match against Fed Cup rookie Silvia Soler-Espinosa still turned out to a more nerve-wracking affair than many expected.

Kuznetsova easily took the opener and was in front in the second set, but still allowed the Spaniard to send the match to a decider.

Both players kept their serve in the third, until the eighth game, in which the Russian finally broke her rival to cruise to a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 win.   

Kuznetsova’s success made the score in the tie 3-1 one for Russia and bagged a semifinal spot for Shamil Tarpischev’s girls.

paul_pipkin on 2/5/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#86 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2012 1:33:02 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Dartagnan Go to Quoted Post

DAVAI MASHA !!!! 

masha

Russia won the tie & Masha and Nadezhda are now fully qualified for London in the summer.  

There will be yet another another Moscow tie versus Serbia April 21-22, when Shamil can qualify Vesnina & Kiri. He will then have eight qualified olimpionikas. He can only take six women, so you see, the Olympic Team Russia will be injury-proof

2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 2/6/2012(UTC), Dartagnan on 2/6/2012(UTC)
deryta
#90 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:07:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

а что вы смотрите в свободное время? я например люблю смотреть сериал Милые обманщицы http://www.world-serial....lye-o...sy-sasha-piters ... очень интересный..
CROUCHING TIGER
#91 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:21:30 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2866 time(s) in 1722 post(s)
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120229/171607417.html

About a greater fight...

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
1 user thanked CROUCHING TIGER for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 2/29/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#92 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:31:07 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120229/171607417.html

About a greater fight...

Great News!  Maybe Alisa will play in Moscow in April?

CROUCHING TIGER
#93 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 3:54:23 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2866 time(s) in 1722 post(s)
That's then a big "maybe" after all she's bin thru. Hope so though, oh yeah...

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
PodgeMcQ
#94 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:27:59 AM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

www.fedcup.com/en - Logo

I doubt this will be very important to many people, but the Fed Cup Europe/Africa Group III is taking place on the 16-21 April in Cairo, Egypt. I for one will be following it as Ireland are competing. Here are the countries being represented and their team nominations. Some may be interested as Ons Jabeur (French Open Junior Singles Winner 2011) will be representing Tunisia.

TEAM NOMINATIONS

- Algeria: Assia Halo, Sarah Meghoufel, Fatima Zohra Boukezzi, Nihel Adjali, Mourad Meghari (captain)

- Armenia: Ani Amiraghyan, Nune Khachatryan, Ofelya Poghosyan, Anna Movsisyan (playing captain)

- Cyprus: Ioanna Nena Savva, Mara Argyriou, Maria Siopacha, Antria Tsangaridou, Nickolas Papadopoulos (captain)

- Egypt: Magy Aziz, Menna El Nagdy, Mai El Kamash, Sandra Samir, Nael Zaki (captain)

- Ireland: Amy Bowtell, Sinead Lohan, Jenny Claffey, Lynsey McCullough, Pat Crowe (captain)

- Kenya: Nikita Dawda, Carolene Oduor, Michelle Onyancha, Evelyn Otula

- Lithuania: Lina Stanciute, Joana Eidukonyte, Justina Mikulskyte, Akvile Parazinskaite, Edita Liachoviciute (captain)

- Malta: Roseann Dimech, Elaine Genovese, Maria Giorgia Farrugia Sacco, Helen Asciak (captain)

- Moldova: Iulia Helbet, Alina Soltanici, Melisa Martinov, Cosic Olga (playing captain)

- Morocco: Nadia Lalami, Fatima El Allami, Lina Bennani, Fatyha Berjane, Mehdi Tahiri (captain)

- Namibia: Lesedi Jacobs, Kerstin Gressman, Carita Moolman, Linique Theron, Elizma Nortje (captain)

- Tunisia: Ons Jabeur, Abbes Nour, Sonia Dagou, Chokri Dallel (captain)

More info on the Fed Cup website: http://www.fedcup.com/en.../europe-africa/2012.aspx

1 user thanked PodgeMcQ for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 4/4/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#95 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:46:54 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Thanks, Podge.  Also,  Moroccans we see from time to time: Nadia Lalami, Fatima El Allami

Doubt there'll be any stream, or from Apr 21-22 USA's continuing effort to get back into World Group, as they must now play in Ukraine. To add "insult to injury", the Yanks must contend in Kharkiv--BLUE Ukraine, instead of the orange west. (If they lose, expect me to laugh & point.)

There'll certainly be stream, however, of Russia vs Serbia semifinal. We're back at the Moscow "Ice Palace" (see beginning of this thread) but with a difference 

Photo: Golovanov/Kivrin Sports Palace Megasport, Moscow

The Sports Palace Megasport in Moscow has been nominated as the venue for the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group semifinal tie between Russia and Serbia on 21-22 April.

The Russian Tennis Federation has also chosen for the tie to be played on clay, which marks the first occasion in six home ties that a surface other than hard court has been selected.

The Muscovite venue has played host to a number of different sports since it was completed in 2006 including Russia’s whitewash of Italy in the Fed Cup semifinal last year. Other notable events to have taken place in the arena include the 2007 Men’s World Ice Hockey Championships and the 2011 World Figure Skating Championships.

Russia and Serbia met for the only time in Belgrade, in 2010, when a thrilling tie went right down to the final doubles rubber. The Russians came out on top having trailed 2-1. The two teams also met twice before becoming independent nations with USSR holding a 2-0 record over Yugoslavia.

Serbia are playing at this stage of the competition for the first time in their history thanks to a hard fought win away at Belgium in the first round when Bojana Jovanovski proved their heroine. Russia, meanwhile, are appearing in the semifinals for a sixth consecutive year but have not managed to win the title since 2008.

Dartagnan on 4/4/2012(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#96 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:43:53 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

April 21-22 Moscow

• Venue: Sports Palace "Megasport", Moscow, Russia

• Start times: 
    Day 1: 1500 hrs (1100 hrs GMT)
    Day 2: 1400 hrs (1000 hrs GMT)

• Surface: Clay (Red Clay), Indoor

http://www.fedcup.com/en...ils.aspx?tieId=100017592 

RUS Flag TEAM NOMINATIONS - Russia

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Maria KIRILENKO

• Date of birth: 25 Jan 1987

• Singles ranking: 21

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA

• Date of birth: 03 Jul 1991

• Singles ranking: 22

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Svetlana KUZNETSOVA

• Date of birth: 27 Jun 1985

• Singles ranking: 27

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Elena VESNINA

• Date of birth: 01 Aug 1986

• Singles ranking: 78

• Team captain Shamil TARPISCHEV

TEAM NOMINATIONS - Serbia

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Ana IVANOVIC

• Date of birth: 06 Nov 1987

• Singles ranking: 14

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Jelena JANKOVIC

• Date of birth: 28 Feb 1985

• Singles ranking: 20

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Bojana JOVANOVSKI

• Date of birth: 31 Dec 1991

• Singles ranking: 106

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Aleksandra KRUNIC

• Date of birth: 15 Mar 1993

• Singles ranking: 193

• Team captain Dejan VRANES

Dartagnan on 4/11/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#97 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:09:49 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Tweets Vera Zvonareva

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

April 21-22 Moscow

• Venue: Sports Palace "Megasport", Moscow, Russia

• Start times: 

• Surface: Clay (Red Clay), Indoor

http://www.fedcup.com/en...ils.aspx?tieId=100017592 

RUS Flag TEAM NOMINATIONS - Russia

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Maria KIRILENKO

• Date of birth: 25 Jan 1987

• Singles ranking: 21

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA

• Date of birth: 03 Jul 1991

• Singles ranking: 22

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Svetlana KUZNETSOVA

• Date of birth: 27 Jun 1985

• Singles ranking: 27

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Elena VESNINA

• Date of birth: 01 Aug 1986

• Singles ranking: 78

• Team captain Shamil TARPISCHEV

TEAM NOMINATIONS - Serbia

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Ana IVANOVIC

• Date of birth: 06 Nov 1987

• Singles ranking: 14

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Jelena JANKOVIC

• Date of birth: 28 Feb 1985

• Singles ranking: 20

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Bojana JOVANOVSKI

• Date of birth: 31 Dec 1991

• Singles ranking: 106

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Aleksandra KRUNIC

• Date of birth: 15 Mar 1993

• Singles ranking: 193

• Team captain Dejan VRANES

paul_pipkin on 4/12/2012(UTC)
Dartagnan
#98 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:16:15 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Tweets Vera Zvonareva

CROUCHING TIGER on 2/9/2013(UTC)
Dartagnan
#99 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 4:52:23 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russian girls fight for Fed Cup

Tags: RussiatennisSportsWorldNews

Apr 21, 2012 21:11 Moscow Time

Russian girls fight for Fed Cup

Photo: RIA Novosti

Print
Email
Add to blog

Russian tennis team goes neck-in-neck with Serbia in the semifinals of the Federation Cup held in Moscow.

Svetlana Kuznetsova defeated Ana Ivanovic 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 in women’s singles making the teams even after Anastasiya Pavluchenkova’s defeat.

TASS

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_04_21/72509954/

paul_pipkin
#100 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:55:03 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

www.fedcup.com/en - Logo 

• Date: 09 Feb - 10 Feb 2013

• Venue: Olympic Stadium, Moscow, Russia

• Start times: 

KIRI training in Moscow

Japan travel to Russia in the World Group first round for the first meeting between the two nations.

Russia suffered defeat in last year’s semifinal when they played Serbia in Moscow. Svetlana Kuznetsova had levelled the tie at the end of the first days play but victories for Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic to open Sunday put the tie beyond the hosts reach.

Japan won promotion back into the World Group having last been in the elite division back in 2007. Slovenia were the first victims for the Japanese before Belgium were dismissed with relative ease. Ayumi Morita extended her winning streak in the competition to 12, picking up three victories in the first tie and a further two in the latter. 

RUS Flag TEAM РОССИЯ

TEAM 日本 -- NIPPON (JAPAN)

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Misaki DOI

• Date of birth: 29 Apr 1991

• Singles ranking: 83

• <%=PlayerFullName %>

• Kurumi NARA

• Date of birth: 30 Dec 1991

• Singles ranking: 152

• Team captain Takeshi MURAKAMI

http://www.fedcup.com/en...ils.aspx?tieId=100019086

3 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
frida on 2/1/2013(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 2/1/2013(UTC), Dartagnan on 2/1/2013(UTC)