Sunstreet where have you been for the last 6 years? The first time Maria made it to Number 1 was because Lindsay Davenport was out injured which cost her enough points for Maria to jump into the top spot. As soon as Lindsay returned, Maria lost it again. The second time was after Kim retired, and Muresmo was out with Appendix problems. She lost the Number one spot very quickly, never being able to defend it. Third time, after Justine retired, Maria held the Number 1 spot for 2 weeks going into the French Open. She went out in the 3rd Round and lost the spot by the time the Open was over. So dont tell me that Caroline is only holding the spot because of Maria's injury. Maria has ONLY EVER held the number one spot through the misfortunes of other players. Schmuck.
There is a sour side to this whole Tournament regarding Maria's 'performance' . If she had been training properly under intensive tournament conditions, she would have known...and probably did... that her ankle was not fully healed and would not hold up to the pressure she would be putting it under. But, because she is such a high profile Giant Ego'd player she lied at all her interviews claiming that she was top fit and feeling so lucky and happy to be in Istanbul. Fact is, it was all a big PR Scam, directed by her Sponsors to spotlight her yet again. But...here we go...one for Maria.... At the end of day, it all boils down to total bullshit and no matter how much was said, she just wasn't up to fulfilling all their wishes and hopes and FAILED once again to live up to their, and her Fans, expectations.
The decent thing to have done would have been to withdraw BEFORE the tournament started and give Marion a full shot at competing. But, would such a thing ever happen? Unthinkable.
Hey, Philli! You wanna talk hype, I'll give you hype--the whole spurious notion of "number one". Last month, Vera's coach laid down what I've contended for at least three years:
September 18, 2011, Sunday. 10:35
October 27, 2011, Thursday. 13:20
Maria Sharapova lost her second match in the White Group Championships WTA Final in Istanbul. At this time in the role of Maria's offender acted Chinese Li Na, won with a score of 7:6 (7:4), 6:4. Russian woman still retained some theoretical chances to qualify from the group, but immediately after the defeat Sharapova has decided to withdraw from the tournament. Her place was taken by Marion Bartoli. Not surprisingly, at the beginning of a press conference most of the questions addressed to the Russian woman, about her injury.
- Mary, is it true that you have decided to withdraw from the tournament? What can you say about his injury? - My ankle still has not recovered so well, as I had hoped after the first match. The swelling on my leg only slightly increased. It is strongly paralyzed my movement on court. Now I do not want to risk health, especially at the end of the season, when I know that I will have some time to fully recover. I do not want to force the recovery process, because you can only aggravate the injury. I came to the final tournament without any major expectations, because this injury I have ever had. I did everything in my power to prepare for the tournament, but I think that a little hasty with the return.
- do you regret that, after all decided to play in Istanbul? - No, not at all. I came here and began to train. Fully focused on preparations for the tournament and did everything I could. There is nothing that I have not tried. Maybe I could take any more medication or take advantage of fast anti-inflammatory injections, but I'm not the one who will go for it. I prefer the natural way. All in good time. Any injury requires a different time to recover. Considering how I got the ankle sprain and the size of the swelling formed quickly, I just returned to the tour a little early.
- You are considered before the tournament that option - to play two matches and withdraw? - A week before the tournament, I still did not know exactly whether I can all take part, as has just started to train. However, I decided to play and understand that, even without uploading at full strength, if played well, I'll have a chance to win.
- You now have pain in your leg? - Of course, I feel the pain again decided to withdraw.
- Clearly, that you were going to finish the season is not so, but nevertheless as a whole has developed for you this year? And also interested in your opinion that Caroline Wozniacki, it seems, has completed a second consecutive season in first place in the ranking as a result of your withdrawal from the tournament. - Of course, the end of the year disappointed me. But overall I satisfied with the season. I started it as a top-20 player and do not know at what point it will end, but there was definitely my game improvement over last year. I spent a good clay season, then reached the final of Wimbledon, although in recent years is not very well played in this tournament. There is still a next year, and I look with great hope in the next season.I have something better to start playing better. And I'm not wait to start again to train.
- And what do you think about Carolina?- Keep on the first line for this amount of time - this is an incredible achievement. It must be very hardy and have good health to play so many tournaments. Yes, I think this is a great success.
- You are at the tournament between points is often imitated movement, just as it does Marion Bartoli. Where did you get? Prompted to do so you coach? - No, just when you lose a few jokes and you do not, have some exercise. Move a bit to wake up.
- The main purpose for you in the next year is the Olympics, or something else? - Yes, of course, is most important. In general, the following season we have a very heavy schedule - two "Slams" in a row, then the Olympics and then immediately US Open. Perhaps most important - stay healthy. Of course, I want to not only perform at the Olympics, but also play good there.
- What better to do after a defeat - to watch a movie, eat something tasty, read a book? - To be honest, I just want to recover to the end and have a good rest. Despite his injury, I spent a full season, played many games, so that both mentally and physically I feel tired. I want to rest and then start training, because the preparations for the season - it is very important.
- What did your team - Hogstedt and Volchkov - after the match? What were their first words? - We have not discussed it, because when they came to me, I immediately told them that I could not play the third match.
- After losing seven straight points to tie-break of the first set in the second game you have this idea once dismissed? - Yes, of course, defeats tie-breaks are always painful, especially after, when you lead 4-0. Hard to get back into playing rhythm. I think that, if realized his chances at the beginning of the set, then the account would be completely different. But she played really well. In the second game was offensive start, I had a hard time to get involved in the fight.
- When we see you again on the court? - are most likely to my first tournament in the new year will Brisbane.
Asderaki in the chair for Woz vs Petra; Nouni on the previous match. That means they'll put Cramer on Vera. Watch out--I know WTA is gonna target that crook at SOME Russian!
Cramer should'nt even BE at Istanbul. She's a third rate umpire, nowhere near Eva or Kader. Even if you don't believe she takes money, everybody knows she's a bad umpire.
I don't agree with this. Maria wasn't in the YEC from 2007, so she did everything she could, even putting her ankle at risk, to have a chance to play and maybe go to the SF. When she lost 2 games in a row there was no chance anymore so it would have been an injury risk for absolutely nothing and then she pulled out. It's totally understandable for an athlete who always wants to compete, but it's also human to don't want to take useless risks.
If you or anyone else thought she would come here after one month from Tokyo's injury, and rape them all winning the title then you fooled yourself, Maria didn't. She just tried to do anything she could to play, I respect that. :)
What's your problem? Are you that angry at someone you don't even know? The fact you have set up an account on Maria's website just to bash her? Pretty childish. Maria lost in the 4th of the French Open, (that typo bugged me, even though it was a small one). I am all for opposing arguments from other people, but not from people who hate just to hate. And what kind of expectations have you been reading into? Maria herself said she wasn't putting to much pressure on herself because she didn't expect too much going in. Of course a player is going to say they feel fit so their competition doesn't get a boost in confidence. If we really are going to talk about "Giant Ego'd" people, Serena is on the top of the list. A top player needs to have confidence (not arrogance). Where were people "spotlighting" Maria? It was Kvitova and Azarenka and Caroline who were talked about. Kvitova is the favorite according to numerous websites. Even if Maria had been so called "lucky" by getting to number one, she still had to be playing great to get their. It's not like she magically appeared there.
Anyways, haters are gonna hate.
Peace and love.
Lezee--maintaining a windfall to the tune of $25 million a year as long as possible is by definition "common sense". Because it IS a windfall. Though prolonged for seven years, the money train is not a permanent condition. It WILL slow down.
In the Olympic Year, however, those interests are also served by a single-minded focus. Sponsors & agents know that Olympic Gold, especially, would perpetuate the cash cow years longer--pull in a whole slew of new two & three year contracts regardless of future performance.
Ofc, the whole enterprise stands to become highly politicized to the point of being a game-changer. In 2012, everything changes--inevitably. Some here will like that. Others not so much.
Philli, there is this too: As I've complained before, what top player do you know who is totally straight-up about her injuries? They can't be. She gonna come on court & explain to her opponents exactly what to attack? That's absurd. Media AND government protect Williams infirmities like State secrets and no one says a thing. Dunno what you expect on that one.
I've never minded you raising the counterpoints. You do push the language to an extent that raises questions about your motivations & undermines your message. But hey, I wouldn't know about extreme language... lol!
Breath in, breath out, and be positive.
Hahahah. "I call it like i see it". How original Philli. Senseless bashing isn't calling it like you see it, it's just senseless bashing. And I am a little dissapointed on how you ramified away from my questions and instead decided to trash the people who say good things about her on the latest news. Really? I can't say I am surprised.
Peace and love.
It is her right to call it as she sees it, whether we like it or not.