logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Physical conditioning
TNVol36&$
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:34:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Stosur is ripped. She is an excellent specimen of lean and mean body.  I'm betting she isn't looking for muffins on her way home and she hasn't visted a yogurt machine. What would it be like to have a Sharapova head on Stosur's body. 

My point is this. If Sharapova is to win in today's young and hungry flock of top ten player she needs to fire her PE coach and get on with the low carb diet and change her workout routine to build some muscle. Not that she isn't in good shape but she is no Sam Stosur.

It's too bad that Sharapova will never read this. Looks like there are over a quarter of a million quotes on the blog already and no one could keep up with that.  Mostly there are fans making encouraging comments which, while desireable, do little to improve Sharapovas tennis game. I would think her fiancee would offer some advice on physical conditioning and the need for less carbs and more protein.  Anyhow, I wish the best for Sharapova,  I have been a fan since she won Wimbleton and would like to see her dominate the world of tennis because she has the potential to be maybe the greatest tennis player of all time.  Would that she could escape from her protective cocoon of people and take responsibility for her own future.

Tony Montana
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:39:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Sounds like a stalemate(r).
Valkyre
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:28:50 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
╬ťaria does not need "muscle". Muscle does not always equal strength. Its how you use your muscles that matters the most. Ripped folks can perhaps have more strength but at the same time they sacrifice flexibility and explosion.

It must be stated that strength is different than explosion. You need to have a proper balance depending on what your role is on the court. I will give my example from basketball. I am a shooting guard. I need strength, but most importantly I need explosion. It is not hard for me to build up muscles, but if I exaggerate my muscles will slow me down and will mess my game. On the other hand a basketball center needs mainly brute strength and mass. He doesnt have to be lightning quick, he has to be strong and powerful.

My point is depending on who you are and what want to do and at the same time what kind/type of body you have (not everyone can become arnold swartzenegger even if he takes steroids) you work on your body.

Maria has stated numerous times that she is not the type of body that becomes ripped when she works out and that she does not like training this way. She works more explosion and prefer to train her tennis skills rather than lift up some weights.

I beleive Maria is fine. Certainly she does not lack tennis power, since her strikes are among the most powerful ones in tennis. Her body is fine, and Stosur who is ripped already has lost 9 times from Maria, so clearly, being "ripped" doesnt necessarily win you matches.
TNVol36&$
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:25:19 PM(UTC)

I can agree that muscle "bound" doesn't always equal strength. But strength provides provides more ease of motion and more accuracy. Not everyone that's strong will be great or accurate but if Maria had more strength she would have fewer double faults and unforced errors. I believe that because she uses every possible ounce of strength in her efforts she loses a lot in accuracy.

You are correct Valkyre in that there definitely needs to be a balance of strength and mobility but it appears that Maria could definitely use more strength. I am aware of what she has said about her body and exercise and also aware that one reason she isn't more muscular is her diet. People who live on high carb diets will never have a well developed muscular system. I also understand that muscles won't make a great tennis player but Maria is a great tennis player and she only needs more strength to become the greatest. I certainly can't agree that Maria is fine. She has shown great vulnerability in her game and continues to lose to players of lesser ability.

PS I don't think she would ever look like Swartzenegger.
Valkyre
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:04:41 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
I never said Maria is fine when it comes to her physio in general. I meant she is fine (as I see it) in terms of strength and power.

Accuracy is not lost because she lacks strength but more so by that shoulder. She needs to work CONSTANTLY on her physical condition. Every athlete has to do so if they want to stay on top of their game. But I dont think she needs to build up some muscle to become more accurate. I dont think strength and accuracy are related as much. Maria needs to work on her footwork, her general stamina (she tends to look a lot tired sometimes) and physical condition.

Not her strength, but hey thats just my opinion :)
<3Maria Sharapova
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:30:56 AM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Ripped, buffle or sth else? This doesn't really matter. The only thing that you must have is a gd physical conditioning, like what the topic has written!