logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages<1234>»
Fed Cup
Dartagnan
#22 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 3:00:27 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

paul_pipkin;307000 wrote:

Remember, Masha has another Fed Cup tie to play. Given her Moscow record, I doubt they'll risk her in the Final. (Hopefully she'll be busy readying for Istanbul YEC, anyway.) Think maybe the first 2012 tie, after AO.  (Hopefully she'll be busy readying for Istanbul YEC, anyway. ) Think maybe the first 2012 tie, after AO.  

Masha wants to participate at the 2012 Olympic Games in London so it is necessary for her to play the Final. Recently she told us that if tean Russia reaches the Final, she will play the Final. 

As she is a very responsible girl, she will play her best tennis for the team Russia. 

We should not forgot that Masha can defeat many tennis players. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

paul_pipkin
#23 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 3:34:18 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

Dartagnan;307005 wrote:

Remember, Masha has another Fed Cup tie to play. Given her Moscow record, I doubt they'll risk her in the Final. (Hopefully she'll be busy readying for Istanbul YEC, anyway.) Think maybe the first 2012 tie, after AO.  (Hopefully she'll be busy readying for Istanbul YEC, anyway. ) Think maybe the first 2012 tie, after AO.  

Masha wants to participate at the 2012 Olympic Games in London so it is necessary for her to play the Final. Recently she told us that if tean Russia reaches the Final, she will play the Final. 

As she is a very responsible girl, she will play her best tennis for the team Russia. 

We should not forgot that Masha can defeat many tennis players. 

And I think Maria is quite capable of contending with the Czechs. But here's the deal: 

1) It's NOT actually necessary for her to play the 2011 Final to qualify. She can play a 2012 tie. Vera Masha both need a tie to qualify. But Shamil needs to qualify a couple or three more besides them. There remain the Final and one, maybe two, 2012 ties to do that,

2) The WTA calendar was contrived to create close conflict among Kremlin Cup, the Fed Cup final & the YEC. I'm not just popping off. The original intent to discourage KC participation was blatant. When Dinara raised hell on behalf of the Russian girls, the play rules were modified somewhat,  but it is still a conflict.

3) Finally, it's Tarpischev's call. Shamil must confer with Vera, Masha, & any other top Russian players likely to play the YEC (The top 8 in the WTA Race plus two alternates) about what will work best for all concerned.

If the Final were with Italy, complete with Francesca & Flavia, or the Belgians with Kim & Wicky, Shamil would have little choice but to call all his top players. As it stands, he has slack to go mostly with Muscovites not in the YEC & who will be in the same city for KC. But these Czech girls are not to be underestimated.  

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
M-Lover
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:16:07 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

2012 World Group = Russia, Italy, Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany, Serbia, Spain, Ukraine :ok: 

Hi, M-Lover.  Think you're being a jerk? Hey, let a big-assed jerk get going here! :cool: Point by point:

What's going on in Fed Cup is what's gone down with women's tennis globally--the Eastern tsunami crests higher & higher.

I think the rules required the dead singles rubber, but Errani tried to redeem herself and it was quite competitive (two tie-break sets). The dead doubles rubber was played because both coaches wanted all their girls to get some action. Francesca has nothing more to prove--from now on, she does only what she wants, I think. Flavia, like Dementieva maybe felt, and Wicky could become--fed up with having everything put on her every time.

Tennis Australia, I fear, is ill with the American disease--criminals like Craig Tiley propagating an ethic of "it's all about US, it's all about $...". One can only hope that Kiwis and the good folks of Sydney & Perth remain far enough removed from the Melbourne corruption of the sport. Fed Cup's English mouthpieces tried to spin the outcome as a "European victory",  which is so lame it's laughable. :hahaha: 

Yeah. WGII. :gnegne: See ps below. USTA assured us that, as always, they could buy with money & coerce with political juice dominance they can no longer win on the court--however much they bribe judges & stitch the draws. How's that working out for them, hunh? Venus was on the bench at Stuttgart, trying to stay outta sight. In fairness, she had little enough to cheer. (Will claim to ITF/IOC she was "available to play" and should get into London without even a Fed Cup nomination!) More... 

You're right on the complicated. If there's a way to shoot themselves in the foot, the French will find it. Escude could have a winning team if the French federation, the WTA, and various cranky parents would butt out.

Actually, the Belgians & Czechs put on the most exciting, interesting and decorative (Barbora ) show of the weekend. Wicky & Flipper have nothing at all to be ashamed of, and the Czechs can be immensely proud. In the end, Barbora showed she's way more than her short skort & non-tennis tan. I don't think Moscow will go without a challenge. The Czech girls have played all kinds of places with less back-up than they deserve--even in Prague!  While they've not yet commanded top ten, the Czechs like the Russians are a team with great depth

Strictly IMO, before the Yank overlords & a few Brit & West European sycophants try to "suppress" anything, they better consult the record & the prospects. They TRIED to destroy ITF & replace it with the American-controlled associations.  The IOC helped slap 'em down, even before the BRICS countries won Sochi & Rio (and let's not even mention Doha World Cup...) The FACT is, "they" no longer have the juice. The old imperialists took tennis worldwide & it's now evolved into the global sport of the new world order--get used to it.

But if they wanna try, hey--let 'em throw down.  Make my dayRussia & India are already on the same page in considering an independent Eurasian Tour, and a Eurasian Slam would certainly result. AO postures as the exclusive slam of Asia-Pacific because they're scared spitless Beijing may initiate an East Asia Slam. I suspect the Southern Hemisphere might also be in the market for a level playing field without biased rulings & stitched up draws.

Hey Paul. It's always good to read your well informed posts.

Tennis is in the first place an individual sport. It hardly fits the team spirit. Your team might win the FedCup, your name is nowhere. Who can remember the name of the players who contributed to the victory? 

That makes the diffrence with the Olympic. You win the Gold, it's for you (and your country). You don't have to share with anyone else. 

paul_pipkin
#24 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:15:00 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

With all respect, the cult of the individual is not new, and its historical utility is well known--to weaken particular class, national & institutional teamwork to the benefit of others. IMO, the same voices that dis Davis & Fed Cup and would like to see ITF abolished and replaced with the corporate-dominated ATP-WTA--those same worthies will attack the Olympics as well. They're only holding fire until after London.

In spite of incessant cult propaganda, however, national identification within this global sport has only intensified over the last several years. Now, not only Russian players, but Czechs, Spaniards, and even Yanks express distaste when they draw compatriot opponents. Individual-competition tourneys as much as team events are replete with banners, anthems, patriotic expressions--and certainly the commentariat never lets us forget who and what each player represents!

Where this goes too far is when government ministries & their corporate masters get into the game. That leads inevitably to dirty tricks and thence to retaliation and finally vendetta. I see that Serbia has become the first to react in self-defense:

From Tennis.comTop Serbian players get diplomatic passports

Reported on April 25, 2011

Serbian authorities issued diplomatic passports to its top tennis players, saying it would allow them easier traveling, the Serbian press reports. Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic gave the passports to the members of the Serbian Davis Cup team, which includes top player Novak Djokovic, as well as top women players Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic.—Matthew Cronin

For "easier traveling", read: immunity to interference by "enemies". Tarpischev could use one of those when Russia may again have to play Davis or Fed Cup in the States! lol 

As I think of it, contingent on Zvonareva's commission in the Foreign Ministry, Vera may be due one already. Given the dirty tricks we've already seen go down this year, arbitrary obstacles to the top Russian's movement would not surprise. :humm: 

M-Lover
#25 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:33:36 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

paul_pipkin;307158 wrote:

Serbian authorities issued diplomatic passports to its top tennis players, saying it would allow them easier traveling, the Serbian press reports. Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic gave the passports to the members of the Serbian Davis Cup team, which includes top player Novak Djokovic, as well as top women players Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic.—Matthew Cronin

For "easier traveling", read: immunity to interference by "enemies". Tarpischev could use one of those when Russia may again have to play Davis or Fed Cup in the States! lol 

As I think of it, contingent on Zvonareva's commission in the Foreign Ministry, Vera may be due one already. Given the dirty tricks we've already seen go down this year, arbitrary obstacles to the top Russian's movement would not surprise. :humm: 

This is f!!!!!g silly. Patriotism is a noble spirit but in this case it is ridiculous. I know patriotism is a very strong sentiment in some Eastern countries. Serbia is a fragile country that went through troubles and civil wars that broke up the former Yugoslavia. We can understand the country does need a very strong patriotism to rebuild a name. But those people need to understand that sports and diplomatic world can not be put together. If every nation gives diplomatic passports to its tennis players (and other athletes) so that they can easily travel, can you guys imagine where the world will be going? 

I am totally against this practice.

paul_pipkin
#26 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 7:19:51 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

M-Lover;307264 wrote:

paul_pipkin;307158 wrote:

This is f!!!!!g silly. Patriotism is a noble spirit but in this case it is ridiculous. I know patriotism is a very strong sentiment in some Eastern countries. Serbia is a fragile country that went through troubles and civil wars that broke up the former Yugoslavia. We can understand the country does need a very strong patriotism to rebuild a name. But those people need to understand that sports and diplomatic world can not be put together. If every nation gives diplomatic passports to its tennis players (and other athletes) so that they can easily travel, can you guys imagine where the world will be going? 

I am totally against this practice.

Listening to the biased mantra from English commentary all through Novak's last two matches to the Rome Championship, I'm moved to comment further. It's not some gratuitous patriotic gesture. I don't regard the rather tongue-in-cheek solution as the best either, but it's not the Serbs who create the problem.

Obviously, the Serbs have confronted repeated & systematic trouble. I don't know the specific instances but I'm sure it is not unlike US State's vendetta against Tarpischev EVERY SINGLE TIME Team Russia plays in America. Knowing that Secretary of State Clinton personally hates Serbs, I can about guess their treatment.

Sweep out the trash at State & Whitehall--the trivial people who polish such agendas--and the East won't have need to defend themselves. 

paul_pipkin
#27 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:14:37 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Image Russian Tennis Federation Shamil Tarpischev: Interview June 7, 2011

In November, Moscow will host the final of the Fed Cup. Already know the composition of our team who will perform in the crucial match against the Czech Republic?

"In the pre-Olympic year, our girls need to on the national team to qualify to represent Russia in London. Therefore, at the end of last season we sat down with each of the girls and painted the plan - who will play when at the Fed Cup matches. By the final, we will collect the strongest part. Now there are five tennis players - Vera Zvonareva, Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Ekaterina Makarova. From them we will choose. Month and a half before the November final we will take a detailed look who is in what form, and will make a final choice."

(It was stipulated that after the semis, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasiya Pavlyuchenkova & Ekaterina Makarova were already qualified for London 2012. Vera Zvonareva and Maria Sharapova need to play (or "be available to play") ONE more Fed Cup tie. Of course, either could play the first tie in Feb 2012 for that as well.)

Dartagnan
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:19:27 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

paul_pipkin;308225 wrote:

In November, Moscow will host the final of the Fed Cup. Already know the composition of our team who will perform in the crucial match against the Czech Republic?

"In the pre-Olympic year, our girls need to on the national team to qualify to represent Russia in London. Therefore, at the end of last season we sat down with each of the girls and painted the plan - who will play when at the Fed Cup matches. By the final, we will collect the strongest part. Now there are five tennis players - Vera Zvonareva, Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Ekaterina Makarova. From them we will choose. Month and a half before the November final we will take a detailed look who is in what form, and will make a final choice."

(It was stipulated that after the semis, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasiya Pavlyuchenkova & Ekaterina Makarova were already qualified for London 2012. Vera Zvonareva and Maria Sharapova need to play (or "be available to play") ONE more Fed Cup tie. Of course, either could play the first tie in Feb 2012 for that as well.)

Yes it is important that they play for their country. 

All strong tennis player play for their country even Nadal Rafael. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

paul_pipkin
#29 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:42:44 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Dartagnan;308239 wrote:

paul_pipkin;308225 wrote:

Yes it is important that they play for their country. 

All strong tennis player play for their country even Nadal Rafael. 

Olimpiyskiy has been selected to host the World Group Final between Russia and Czech Republic on 5-6 November 2011.

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/articles/moscow's-olympic-stadium-to-host-final.aspx

paul_pipkin
#30 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:18:04 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Primacy in world women's tennis at this moment is shared by two Eastern Powers--Russia & the Czech Republic. The Fed Cup Final in Moscow in November will be seen as a contest for supremacy. The Fed Cup official site admits this & leaves no doubt which "side" they are on. (Their ITF identity notwithstanding, it's obvious Fed Cup online functions are controlled by the same sorts as run WTA.)

At Wimbledon, Soviet Sport tried to entice Masha to support their headline she wanted "Moscow revenge against Kvitova". lol Though she replied that would be obvious if the opportunity presented itself, her participation hasn't been discussed yet.

A lot can change in four months, not even to mention the year until the Olympiad. But a few assumptions are shaping up. Team Russia may be able to field two mixed doubles pairs. Kirilenko-Andreev are obvious, but there is additional talk of pairing Vesnina with Youzhny or Davydenko. She would also no doubt play in women's doubles. Despite Kiri's wishes, Russian press is skeptical of pairing her with Sharapova. They counsel Masha should focus on the Gold in singles.

paul_pipkin;308908 wrote:

After Wimbledon:

Top 20 Russia-girlz: with changes (from tennisforum posting)

NR: national ranking
WR:world ranking

NR/Name/WR/NR evolution/WR evolution

1.Vera ZVONAREVA (3)/--/-- needs one more tie to qualify
2.Maria SHARAPOVA (5)/--/+1 needs one more tie to qualify
3.Svetlana KUZNETSOVA(12)/--/+2 already qualified for Olympiad
4.Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA(13)/--/+1 already qualified for Olympiad
5.Maria KIRILENKO (24)/+1/+2
6.Alisa KLEYBANOVA (28)/-1/-4
7.Nadia PETROVA (32)/+1/+5
8.Elena VESNINA (33)/--/+6

9.Ekaterina MAKAROVA (40)/-2/-11 already qualified for Olympiad
10.Vera DUSHEVINA(57)/+1/-8

11.Anna CHAKVETADZE (59)/-1/-11
12.Ksenia PERVAK (61)/+3/+30
13.Dinara SAFINA (68)/-1/-5
14.Evgeniya RODINA (76)/--/+5
15.Alla KUDRYAVTSEVA (78)/-2/-10
16.Vesna DOLONTS (103)/--/-8
17.Anastasia PIVOVAROVA (117)/--/+5
18.Valeria SAVINYKH (134)/+1/+6
19.Nina BRATCHIKOVA (143)/--/+3
20.Alexandra PANOVA (154)/--/-6

Red--most likely to play the 2011 Fed Cup Final

paul_pipkin
#31 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 8:41:27 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

The Draw for the 2012 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas will take place on Sunday 17 July in Kobe, Japan at the Bourbon Beans Dome. The Draw will be held on court immediately following the conclusion of the 2011 Fed Cup World Group II play-off tie between Japan and Argentina. The tie will be held in Kobe on 16-17 July, having been postponed in April due to the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

The Draw will determine the World Group and World Group II first round ties to be played on 4-5 February 2012.

According to the Fed Cup Regulations, the two finalist nations are seeded No. 1 and No. 2 in the World Group for the following year, and will be drawn in opposite halves. The other seeded nations in the World Group and World Group II will be in accordance with the latest ITF Fed Cup Nations Ranking of 17 July.

2012 WORLD GROUP

Seeded nations: RussiaCzech Republic, Italy, Belgium

Remaining nations: Germany, Serbia, Spain, Ukraine

paul_pipkin
#32 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:02:27 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

HYOGO, JAPAN: The draw for the 2012 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group and World Group II was held today at the Bourbon Beans Dome in Japan.

A mouthwatering clash between Germany and No. 2 seed Czech Republic is arguably the pick of the World Group first round ties. Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova, who has led her side into this year's final, will have to be at her very best if the Czechs are to overcome the up-and-coming Germans.

The other three seeds were all handed home ties: Russia against Spain, Italy versus Ukraine and, notably, Belgium against Serbia. The latter could see Kim Clijsters and Yanina Wickmayer taking on Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic.

In World Group II, Australia and Switzerland were drawn to meet just as they were in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group play-off draw earlier this week, and Victoria Azarenka's Belarus face a tricky away trip to USA.

Having thrashed Argentina in the postponed World Group II play-off earleir in the day, Japan were rewarded with a home clash against Slovenia next year. France, who are making their first appearance in World Group II have a tough draw against Slovak Republic, who have the likes of Dominika Cibulkova and Daniela Hantuchova in their ranks.

World Group Draw

RUSSIA v Spain

BELGIUM* v Serbia

ITALY v Ukraine

Germany v CZECH REPUBLIC

World Group II Draw

USA* v Belarus

JAPAN v Slovenia

SLOVAK REPUBLIC v France

Switzerland v AUSTRALIA

Nations with choice of ground are listed first. Seeded nations are in capitals. Asterisk (*) denotes choice of ground determined by lot.

paul_pipkin
#33 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:30:56 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

July 14 9:19 sportbox.ru

Shamil Tarpischev: Do not rely only on Sharapova 

- Is there any news about the composition of our women's team for Fed Cup final November?

"Let's talk about it with the management of Maria Sharapova. The backbone of the team is already there - Vera Zvonareva, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova. They have already said, it remains only to receive confirmation."

- That match will take place immediately after the WTA Tour final in Istanbul, presents certain difficulties for us?

"Well, the Czech Republic champion at Wimbledon Petra Kvitova will also for sure play in Istanbul. In any case, I am inclined to think that the surface for the finals should be quite slow with a high bounce. It will be easier for us to resist Kvitova. Of course, we must admit that surface is not the best option for Sharapova, but to rely solely on Maria in the upcoming match would also not be right, because her serving problem is sometimes just unpredictable."

Shamil could bench Masha (she qualifies IOC simply by being there) and play the others. OR, the Czechs may BELIEVE he'll do that but he does otherwise. We're talking the "old fox" here. 8-) 

Recall the calendar:

Kremlin Cup Oct 15-23 Moscow

LESS THAN 48 HOURS LATER...

WTA YEC Oct 25-30 Istanbul

THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND...

Fed Cup Final Nov 5-6 Moscow 

Surely to god, no one will try & tell me WTA jams the YEC between those two important dates by happenstance! 

Thanks to Podge McQ: a Tennis.com article yesterday on a possible Federer-Hingis London pairing spelled out the first qualifications for Olympic mixed doubles I have seen:

In order to play in the Olympics, Hingis would have to have a singles or doubles ranking by June 11, 2012, and in order for her to directly qualify, it would have to be a fairly high one (Top 56 in singles or Top 10 in doubles). The ITF will only accept mixed doubles teams from players who are already on site in London having already qualified in singles or doubles.

http://tennis.com/articl...leid=13546&zoneid=25 

Masha answered Podge re doubles in London: "I think my doubles should stay retired." lol So, a women's pairing with Kiri is off the table. But now: Any likely scenario for Russian mixed doubles involve either the top Russian doubles player Kirilenko (#6 WTA doubles) or Vesnina (#10 WTA doubles.) So either or both those girls are vital for women's AND mixed in London.

IF it works like singles, however, they each appear to need two Fed Cup credits & it doesn't look like either will play the November Final. Logically, they will need to be qualified during 2012. (Past experience suggests one actual appearance can suffice.) But I would expect to see them deployed as a doubles team against the Spaniards in Moscow in February.

paul_pipkin
#34 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:51:54 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Gonna be interesting to see how this works out.  Notice we are not seeing any similar "committment" from Venus. From Fed Cup site:

Serena commits to Fed Cup

11 Aug 2011 

Serena Williams (USA)

Serena Williams has announced her intention to play Fed Cup by BNP Paribas in 2012, with USA facing Belarus at home in February followed by either a promotion or relegation tie in April.

“I am committing to play in both of the U.S. Fed Cup team’s ties in 2012,” said Williams. “After being physically unable to participate in the last few ties, I am eager to compete in Fed Cup and help my country return to the World Group.”

Serena’s last Fed Cup appearance was in 2007 when, along with her sister Venus, she led the American team to a 5-0 victory over Belgium in Delray Beach, Florida. That tie was in the World Group first round, but USA have since dropped into the competition’s second tier for the first time ever.

The Americans suffered relegation in 2010 after losses to Belgium and Germany, and now their road back to the top division begins with a tough World Group II clash against Belarus, to be played on home soil at a venue still to be announced.

Belarus, fresh from gaining promotion out of Europe/Africa Zone Group I, possess world No. 4 Victoria Azarenka in their ranks alongside the reliable Olga Govortsova, leaving Mary Joe Fernandez under no illusions that Serena’s presence is required for USA to have a good chance of bouncing straight back.

“Serena Williams is one of the best players in the history of our sport, and I’m thrilled that she has committed to play in both of our team’s ties next year,” said the American captain. “Her presence both on the court and off will undoubtedly help our team as we attempt to return to the World Group for 2013.” 

paul_pipkin
#35 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:50:36 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

60 seconds with: Svetlana Kuznetsova 

Any nicknames?
I like Sveta and I hate all the rest like Kuzy, Kuzny. ( Okay, I stand corrected.)

If you weren’t a tennis player, what would you be?
Some kind of sport, maybe a team sport, like football or basketball. Or snowboarding.

Which website do you check the most?
Facebook or Twitter.

What do you regard as your biggest achievement in tennis?
Winning two Grand Slams.

If a movie was made about your life, which actress would you want to play you?
In Gossip Girl, the girl who plays Serena (Blake Lively).

What do you do when you’re not playing tennis?
I like to stay home doing my own thing, drive my car, go to the movies.

Where is your favourite holiday destination?
I have not been on too many, but somewhere I would like to go? Maybe Cuba.

What is the best Fed Cup atmosphere you’ve played in?
Moscow, for sure. Every time I play in Moscow it’s great.

Who is the most famous person in your phone book?
Probably Serena Williams.

If you were singing karaoke, what song would you pick?
I do sing a lot of it. A lot of Russian songs but also rap, like 50 Cent.

Do you have any pre-match rituals?
Not really, just music and putting grips on my rackets and the warm-up.

What was the last music you downloaded on iTunes?
Some Russian rap, probably.

If you could pick three people from history to have dinner with, who would they be?
Roger Federer, my boyfriend and Vladimir Putin. (See how we should not assume? )

What has been your best Fed Cup moment?
Probably the time we won the title in Russia, but also it was special to win the first round this year against France when we were 2-0 down.

And your worst Fed Cup moment?
I was feeling pretty horrible when I couldn’t support my team when we won 3-2 in our first Fed Cup trophy. I played good overall, but I played s**t in the finals and lost all my matches. :hahaha:

Tell us something about yourself that we don’t know…
I like to sing karaoke.

http://www.fedcup.com/en...svetlana-kuznetsova.aspx 

"Familiar ground for Russia" article on Olympic Stadium:   http://www.fedcup.com/en...r-ground-for-russia.aspx

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 10/5/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#36 Posted : Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:14:12 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Ad expected, Shamil announces Masha will play against Spain in Feb 2012: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/485461 

Image Sharapova will play for Russia next year

October 8, 2011, № 167 (18 533) 

Maria Sharapova will play for Team Russia in the quarterfinals of the Fed Cup 2011 against Spain. This at a press conference on the upcoming Cup of the Kremlin, told the Russian Tennis Federation president and captain of our national team, Shamil Tarpischev. 
"Maria will not participate in the Moscow tournament and the Federation Cup final this year against the Czech Republic" said Tarpischev. "But we have an arrangement with Sharapova's about meeting with Spain, so she comes to the national team in February."

2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 10/8/2011(UTC), Dartagnan on 10/19/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#37 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:37:53 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

The Czech team for Nov 5-6 Moscow Final 

FedCup.com: What players have you nominated for the team?

Petr Pala: Petra Kvitova, Lucie Safarova, Lucie Hradecka and Kveta Peschke.

http://www.fedcup.com/en...view-with-petr-pala.aspx

Dartagnan
#38 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:29:11 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Dominika Cibulkova in Moscow for the Kremlin Cup tournament

RESULTS: http://www.wincomparator...bulkova-dominika-537211/

masha

Dartagnan
#39 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:48:30 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Russia’s Dmitry Tursunov has eased his way into the Kremlin Cup quarterfinals defeating Julien Benneteau  of France 6-4, 7-6.

Next he’ll play against the winner of the game between Russia’s Igor Kunitsyn of Serbia’s Janko Tipsarevic.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/10/20/59073600.html

masha

paul_pipkin
#40 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:02:55 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Dart: Look a little down the "Tennis Chat" page. There IS a Kremlin Cup thread. ;)