logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Another Sharapova-Zvonareva Exo. (Chinese Taipei)
paul_pipkin
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:11:54 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova meets Taiwanese fans

Taiwan News, Staff Writer 
2011-09-21 04:10 PM

Next photo 

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova was all smiles as she greeted throngs of screaming Taiwanese fans upon her arrival at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 5:50 a.m. Wednesday.

Wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses, the world No. 2 signed autographs for Taiwanese fans who got up early to welcome her on her first-ever trip to Taiwan for an exhibition match.

Asked what she was bringing to Taiwan as a gift, Sharapova said she brought her tennis rackets and skills to thank local fans.

Sharapova will play an exhibition match against world No. 4 Vera Zvonareva at Taipei Arena on Thursday. Zvonareva arrived in Taipei Tuesday night.

Both are visiting Taiwan for the first time. They will meet the media Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.taiwannews.co...s_content.php?id=1713147 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
CROUCHING TIGER
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:56:17 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2867 time(s) in 1722 post(s)

All ready for the press:)

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
paul_pipkin
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:40:45 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Russian tennis stars looking forward to exhibition match in Taipei
2011/09/21 20:37:32

Taipei, Sept. 21 (CNA) Russian tennis stars Maria Sharapova and Vera Zvonareva said Wednesday they were looking forward to their exhibition match in Taipei the following day, and hoped it would help promote the sport and motivate more young people to play. 

Sharapova and Zvonareva, who are both visiting Taiwan for the first time, said they were excited and delighted to meet their Taiwan fans. 

The main goal of their trip is to encourage those who are interested in the sport to keep moving forward, they said at a press conference in Taipei. 

"Tennis is my passion. and that's what I love to do and what I've been doing since I was six years old," Zvonareva said. 

Meanwhile, Sharapova , 24, said it requires dedication to succeed in the sport. 

"You have to have the drive and determination in order to be at the top level," she said. "I don't think you can be in that position if you don't have a passion for it." 

"It's great for them (young people) to be able to see tennis action. That's the bottom line, and that's what we're here to do," said Sharapova , the world's No. 2 female tennis player. 

Two elementary school students, who will play with the Russian stars Thursday, said at the press conference that they were both very thrilled, but nervous, to have a chance to play with world-class tennis players. 

Vicky Pai, 12, told CNA she will give each of the Russian stars a gift, but she declined to say what it will be. Sharapova will play an exhibition match against Zvonareva, the world No. 4 female player, at Taipei Arena on Thursday.

http://focustaiwan.tw/Sh...aALL&ID=201109210043 

Maria's match against Zvonareva will be played on Thursday night at 20.00 Taiwan time. (12:00:00 noon GMT)

Click here for photos.

Tour is no grind for resurgent Sharapova

TAIPEI | Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51am EDT

(Reuters) - You will not find Maria Sharapova moaning about crowded schedules after a year in which the Russian has returned to within sight of the summit of women's tennis.

The world number two has some sympathy for the top male players who have made rumblings about possible strike action over what they see as a too punishing calendar but after having her career knocked sideways by injury she is clearly happy to be globe-trotting again and winning tournaments.

"I really missed doing what I've done since I was four years old and I really felt that there is so much more in me that I could bring to the court," the 24-year-old told Reuters in Taipei where she will play an exhibition match against fellow Russian and world No.4 Vera Zvonareva on Thursday.

"(The schedule) is so much better than it was years ago," she added, when asked about the demands on the serving shoulder that needed major surgery in 2008 and kept her out of the game for 10 months, in which time she dropped to 126 in the world.

"We finish two or three weeks before the men do. You can say that's nothing but it's huge in our sport, it gives us more time to take a breather whereas before after the season you could maybe take a week off. Now you can take two weeks off and not feel guilty about it."

Sharapova, who returned to the top 10 in March after reaching the final in Miami, was a semi-finalist at the French Open and runner-up at Wimbledon and recently won her 24th career title in Cincinnati.

While she did suffer bouts of illness early in the season she has crucially remained injury free this year -- a major factor in her rise up the rankings.

Now she is looking forward with renewed optimism.

"That's what drives me, that's the reason why today I find myself in that position and a position also to even do better," she said. "I'd love to win Wimbledon again, that's always a goal of mine, the French Open is one that I haven't won but I feel like with every year I compete I play better at the French Open.

"I have many goals and that's what's drives me to keep getting better."

With no dominant force in the women's game this year, the path does seem open for Sharapova to add to her three grand slam titles, although the depth of the field makes it tricky.

Three of the four grand slam titles went to first-timers this year and Sharapova dismissed any suggestion that it was evidence of a lack of top quality.

"A few years ago you would come into a tournament in the first few rounds and people were saying 'well women's tennis you're winning first rounds 6-0 6-1,' and now it's kind of like 'well why are the first few matches so tough'," she said.

While Sharapova probably does not want the year to end, Zvonareva was less enthused about the calendar.

She said the current WTA schedule was "quite tight" and said players would like to have more flexibility and choice over which tournaments they could play in.

"With this kind of schedule we have to play every single weekend and sometimes you feel good but sometimes you don't feel good but you still push yourself hard and at the end of the day you could get sick or get injured," she told Reuters.

She said players want more discussion on the issue, though there were different views with some players wanting to play more and some less.

"We have to find some solution where we can find the right balance, because right now it's a little bit too busy for us. We travel too much, but on the other hand we get a lot of opportunities to play, so we have to think about it and we're working on it and we're trying to find the right balance."

Next stop on the Tour for Sharapova and Zvonareva is the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo starting on Sept 25.

http://www.reuters.com/a...va-idUSTRE78K2AK20110921 

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 9/21/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:18:09 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Korean NTV1 television streams live thru http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b6325.htm Showing a three-minute piece on Masha & Vera about 5 mins into their top-of-hour newscast. 

paul_pipkin
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:21:39 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Korean NTV1 television streams live thru http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b6325.htm Yesterday showed a three-minute piece on Masha & Vera about 5 mins into their top-of-hour newscast. Expect more. Also check:

Focus Taiwan news channel has a video page: http://focustaiwan.tw/video/Index.aspx 

Sharapova beats Zvonareva in exhibition match in Taipei
2011/09/22 22:50:38

Taipei, Sept. 22 (CNA) Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova beat her compatriot Vera Zvonareva 6-3, 6-4 Thursday in an exhibition match in Taipei. 

The top two Russian tennis players, who are both visiting Taiwan for the first time, showcased their skills and played a great match at Taipei Arena. Their visit is aimed at promoting the sport and motivating more young people to play. 

During a warm up match in which the two world-class players were each paired with a local young talent, world No. 2 Sharapova, 24, even danced to the music to ease the tension

The main goal of their trip is to encourage those who are interested in the sport to keep moving forward, they said at a press conference in Taipei on Wednesday. 

During their short stay in the capital, the two also held a tennis clinic and interacted closely with young talents at a local junior high school. The two are scheduled to leave for Japan Friday. 

Their visit will be followed by the arrival of the world's No. 2 male tennis star Rafael Nadal of Spain and his compatriot David Ferrer, also for an exhibition match that will be played at National Taiwan Sport University on Oct. 1. 

The two matches are part of efforts to produce Taiwan's own world-class tennis players. Earlier this year, former stars Andre Agassi and Marat Safin played exhibition matches against Taiwan players in Taipei and Kaohsiung

http://focustaiwan.tw/Sh...aALL&ID=201109220044 

CROUCHING TIGER
#26 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:01:04 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

As long as "Formosa" refuses to merge with the MOTHERLAND i have nothing to say about..."Taipei".

paul_pipkin
#27 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:39:27 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: CROUCHING TIGER Go to Quoted Post
As long as "Formosa" refuses to merge with the MOTHERLAND i have nothing to say about..."Taipei".

Just watch out that it doesn't happen & you miss it.  Like the ninnies in WTA's Beijing office who think they've "taken charge" of tennis in China. By now, they've probably already been assimilated & don't know it, lol. Seriously, Taiwan is no more the Formosa of the Koumintang. The actual business of numerous large Taipei firms is altogether mainland. So who do they "belong" to, really?

Welcome to Taiwan, Maria Sharapova!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3ScpH1uRM 

Not great quality but gives the feel of her arrival. 

And check this out.  

Marat says he can bring Sharapova, Kournikova, Safina @K-Arena, Taiwan, 2011 Uploaded by carooney1985 on Jan 16, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyWr0t9qw0

CROUCHING TIGER
#28 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 12:30:40 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

ASSIMILATED, i'm good with that Paul and why would u write "CHINESE Taipei"...yep, i like that just

as i liked HK in '97:))

Valkyre
#29 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 3:26:04 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Trying to find some videos of Maria vs Zvonareva Exhibition, but so far no luck... :(
paul_pipkin
#30 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 3:59:31 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Hi, Val I expect some will appear, as that NTV1 television showed court clips from practice on Wed. Didn't catch anything yesterday but I'm sure they were back there for the exo.

Tiger: Sure, Chinese Taipei as per IOC & all sporting bodies. (UN may still hang with Taiwan.) The name game addresses national sensibilities. Within a decade, the economic reality of The Special Administrative District of Hong Kong, Chinese Taipei, Macao & the former Port of San Diego may be essentially the same. :hahaha:

For future of the Pacific Rim, ref Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash & Diamond Age.

paul_pipkin
#31 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 2:26:59 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Maria defeats Zvonareva in Taiwan

Posted on September 22, 2011

Maria defeated Vera Zvonareva 6-3 6-4 in a charity exhibition match at the Taipei Arena in Taiwan.

Maria will now head east to play the Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo, Japan.  Main draw action starts on Sunday and Maria will seeded No.2.  The main draw will be released on Friday.

Its bright and early here in Taipei and before I leave to the airport, I wanted to share this photo with all of you...this was my welcome gift at the hotel. Me as a red head? Not for a while, or ever!

saggittarian
#32 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:52:19 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

A short clip of Maria's interview in Taiwan is on Yahoo homepage.

Valkyre
#33 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:59:16 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 9/26/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#34 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 1:37:52 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Valkyre Go to Quoted Post

Thanx.  BIG Taipei poster .jpg from Championat.ru:

Выставочный матч Веры и Марии не стал прибыльным

CROUCHING TIGER
#35 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:28:58 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

WOW...I JUST LOVE THAT POSTER; HAS "SOMETHING SPECIAL"....BBRRRRRRR:)