logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Big Congrats to Sam Stosur
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:46:31 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)
On winning her first WTA Tour singles title at the HP Open in Osaka. [H]
"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Simi84
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:54:16 PM(UTC)
Simi84

Yep, Sammy finally did it and got that monkey off her back now!!! [:D] Hopefully there´s a lot more singles titles to come. But also doubles titles are welcome [;)]

Good luck in Doha Stubsur!!! And in Bali Sammy!!! [:D]

fking_crazy
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:38:07 PM(UTC)
fking_crazy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's time to bump this thread. Not that I'm Sam's fan but this girl is gonna win her first Grand Slam after defeating Justine Queen-of-Clay Henin and Serena I-am-number-one-in-the-world Williams. Not fair that her thread is still in the depths of the archives. Sammy deserves a better place doesn't she? [:P]
paul_pipkin
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 1:47:38 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yes, she does. [H] I expressed my skepticism on today's match elsewhere. But against the tapestry of Sam's career & difficulties, she's unarguably accomplishing new heights--so I'll join you to that degree.

She also makes a case as to the importance of doubles to tennis and of doubles players. [:)]

M-Lover
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:37:38 PM(UTC)
M-Lover

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Sam Stosur is going to win the French crowd's heart, not because she can say a couple French words but because she plays amazingly on clay. Henin the crowd's favorite gone, Dementieva, the French speaking Russian gone, Sam will be Roland Garros's sweetheart if she wins the trophy. French people always love underdogs who manage to beat the top seeds.

I'd suggest Sam to learn more French words other than merci, bonjour, silvousplait. Because if she happens to say her after-match speech in French, the crowd would go frenzied!

paul_pipkin
#6 Posted : Friday, June 04, 2010 11:42:06 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

A couple of good phrases wouldn't hurt--emphasize "good". Bad French is worse than no French, so get someone to drill her today. I'd further caution: She must in no way be construed as a Yankee pet.

Congratulating Sam yesterday, ESPN commentator Darren Cahill told her she made "us" (Aussies) proud, "especially those of us in America." [*-)] In fairness, I don't know what he meant by that--could be taken several ways.

But I'd advise her to confine her acknowledgment of fan support to Oz--not muddy the water reaching for some more global Anglo identification.

mashadabest
#3 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 10:02:54 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

I can't believe she got to the French Open final, beating Justine, JJ etc and then lost to Shiavone (sorry if I spelt it wrong) I seriously can't believe that woman has a Grand Slam, it's craziness!  Imagine if someone put money on her to win, they will be damn rich now lol.  I really thought Sam was gonna win that final [:(] she's probably lost her only chance at being a Grand Slam champ [:(].  Anyways at least she's playing well on grass now as well, seems she's a late bloomer or whatever the saying is that I am thinking of lol.  Keep going Sam! [:)]
M-Lover
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:52:44 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Does Samantha not have a single fan in this forum?

It's not fair. The last time we talked about her is one year ago, BEFORE the French final. Her thread didn't last long, neither her time of fame.

Can we imagine there are ONLY 6 posts for Sammy? She's a sure value in the women tennis. She's a Grand Slam winner. She's beaten some of the best players. This girl is sweet and nice. She's never insulted anyone on court. Unlike certain players who always show up in the headlines, including the ones who don't even have her record of achievements, Sammy is not a pretentious player, not a whinning player, not a drama queen, not a fashion model, not a media star. She's just a good tennis player with an adorable Aussie accent.

Don't you guys think Sammy deserves another minute of fame?

CROUCHING TIGER
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:44:15 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)

I agree, M, this is more then fame:)...couldn't resist...

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
paul_pipkin
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:00:09 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

M-Lover;310777 wrote:

Does Samantha not have a single fan in this forum?

It's not fair. The last time we talked about her is one year ago, BEFORE the French final. Her thread didn't last long, neither her time of fame.

Can we imagine there are ONLY 6 posts for Sammy? She's a sure value in the women tennis. She's a Grand Slam winner. She's beaten some of the best players. This girl is sweet and nice. She's never insulted anyone on court. Unlike certain players who always show up in the headlines, including the ones who don't even have her record of achievements, Sammy is not a pretentious player, not a whinning player, not a drama queen, not a fashion model, not a media star. She's just a good tennis player with an adorable Aussie accent.

Don't you guys think Sammy deserves another minute of fame?

There has actually been lotsa commentary on Sam, both on the old forum & here. It just tends to be on other threads. These player threads generally thrive when one or two members have a burning interest in specific other players & exert themselves to maintain the threads--like I do for Russians.

Sammie, yeah.  

WEDNESDAY MORNING, 09:00 am EDT, after everyone is at work, Tennis Channel in the States FINALLY breaks down & STARTS to replay Sam def Serena Final. 

They did not cut/suppress any more than ESPN2. The rescheduling tells it all: only other showing this week will be at midnight EDT. This was all about showing Serena's embarrassment as little as possible & to as few viewers as they could manage.

IOW, Sam gets cheated of US credit & exposure per Yankee damage control. 

paul_pipkin
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:04:00 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Well, well, well... look-a here:  

09/12/2011  

The winner of the US Open will play in the tournament "Kremlin Cup" - 2011

The winner of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, which ended today, late at night, the world number seven Samantha Stosur (Australia) - declared (to play) at the XXII International tennis tournament "Kremlin Cup" - 2011, which will be held 15 - October 23, 2011 in sports complex "Olympic".

http://www.kremlincup.ru/db/news/1931