logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Hingis
shrapi
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:37:38 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hingis considering comeback 

Published: 2:49PM Wednesday September 08, 2010

Reuters

Hingis considering comeback (Source: Photosport)

Martina Hingis at Wimbledon - Source: Photosport

Former world number one Martina Hingis said may make a second return to the women's tour, this time on the doubles circuit.

The 29-year-old Swiss, who won Wimbledon at the age of 16 and picked up four other grand slam singles titles, quit the sport for a second time in 2007 but said she could be tempted into returning if she can find a partner.

"I've been asked here and there, with Lindsay (Davenport)," Hingis told a select group of reporters at the US Open.

"But she wanted to come back too soon and I wasn't ready for that. Then she won (the title) in Stanford."

Hingis said playing recently at the Team Tennis competition in the United States gave her the taste for the game again but she would only return if her heart was completely in it.

"I don't know, I couldn't say right now, it's always maybes," said Hingis.

"I need to find a partner first and commit to really wanting to do it. I really enjoyed playing Team Tennis, playing singles and doubles, and the doubles felt really good, so ..."

Hingis quit the sport for the first time in 2003 at the age of 22, suffering from ankle injuries. She returned in late 2006 and finished the following year ranked seventh.

But she quit for a second time in 2007 under a cloud after she tested positive for cocaine at that year's Wimbledon.

Hingis served a two-year ban but maintained her innocence and was welcomed back to Wimbledon this year when she played with Russian Anna Kournikova in the invitational doubles event.

fking_crazy
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:07:50 AM(UTC)
fking_crazy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)

OK if she brings Kournikova back.

CROUCHING TIGER
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:02:07 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
They made a great dwawing of Freud that suits u "perfectly"[:P]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
dinara :D
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:04:57 AM(UTC)
dinara :D

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
[quote user="fking_crazy"]

OK if she brings Kournikova back.

[/quote]

Agree with this. [Y]

[img]http://dailychuckle.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ee7a8438833013485183001970c-450wi[/img] 

Hamoudi
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 11:03:26 AM(UTC)
Hamoudi

That would be great if she come back, love her statements  so cheeky.
paul_pipkin
#10 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 9:18:45 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)
I see no reason she can't return. But, yeah, ease in thrua lotta exos, doubles etc to build up. True that Martina is a smart player (some might say snakey) as opposed to a power player. But with the clear, high-def image last night, I noticed that she hasn't kept a lot more muscle tone than Anna. Oh, they both looked fine, sure, [8-|] but you could really notice the difference in muscle mass from the women we're accustomed to watching. Lotta practice & hours in the gym are indicated.
"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
katmilr
#7 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 10:18:17 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)

If Kim and Justine can do it. Why not Martina?

Plus would be nice to have more Swiss players too [H]

mashadabest
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:07:45 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="shrapi"]

But she quit for a second time in 2007 under a cloud after she tested positive for cocaine at that year's Wimbledon.

[/quote]

This. [:|] I don't like her and I hope she doesn't come back.

paul_pipkin
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:23:06 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)
[quote user="mashadabest"][quote user="shrapi"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's my thing: She was never my favorite person--called herself "mean as a snake" & I think that's probably true. BUT:

The very fact of her unpopularity made her quite easy to frame. With the sh!t I've seen WTA & the rest of the establishment pull, I don't find it at all farfetched her drink might get "dusted" at a player party. Hell, we know from the Wickmayer affair that the drug authority has no credibility--WADA is engaged in secret agendas. Also, players admire her for being smart--maybe too smart for the alleged offense.

I'm just not convinced. Those that accuse her are too dirty themselves to be readily believed.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
mashadabest
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:34:51 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="mashadabest"][quote user="shrapi"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's my thing: She was never my favorite person--called herself "mean as a snake" & I think that's probably true. BUT:

The very fact of her unpopularity made her quite easy to frame. With the sh!t I've seen WTA & the rest of the establishment pull, I don't find it at all farfetched her drink might get "dusted" at a player party. Hell, we know from the Wickmayer affair that the drug authority has no credibility--WADA is engaged in secret agendas. Also, players admire her for being smart--maybe too smart for the alleged offense.

I'm just not convinced. Those that accuse her are too dirty themselves to be readily believed.

[/quote]

I'm not convinced about this conspiracy theory.  I mean she served a two year ban but maintains that she didn't take any drugs?!?! [8-)] If someone accuses me of something I didn't do, I fight it and try and prove my innocence, she did nothing of the sort.  I believe she did take drugs, otherwise she would have fought against the ban.  The fact that she still doesn't admit it doesn't sit well with me.  The tour doesn't need druggies in it. [:|]

Hamoudi
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:46:48 PM(UTC)
Hamoudi

[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="mashadabest"][quote user="shrapi"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Couldn’t agree with you more  I say they are the players " Cesar must die, Cesar must die "  jk but she deserve to come back, they did it to Muhammad Ali and he returned even stronger, and Hingis will do the same  for the record I’m not comparing.

PodgeMcQ
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:18:54 PM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Roger Federer has asked Martina Hingis about playing mixed doubles together for Switzerland at next year’s Olympics.

Federer says he has not personally spoken to Hingis about coming out of retirement, but one of his representatives has contacted the 30-year-old star. Hingis, a former No. 1 player, has won five Grand Slam tournaments and retired in 2007.

Mixed doubles has been added to the London Games. Federer said if he played with anyone he wanted it to be Hingis because she’s an “amazing player. He has practiced with her and played with her at the Hopman Cup.
M-Lover
#13 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 2:34:06 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

I'm no her fan. I think her time's over. I would like her back doing some exos with Anna Kournikova. They're the cutest duet on court. If she comes back to reanimate the boring women tennis, e.g. like in this photo, why not?

1 user thanked M-Lover for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/19/2011(UTC)