For all we know she could already be in Cincy practising along with the likes of Wozy, Vera etc.
Don't be so harsh on Maria. Do you not think she is also suffering from the loss? She is very hard on herself and will do her best to improve in the next match. Such is life. I don't believe for one minute that she is actually enjoying herself shopping or sight seeing. She wouldn't be mentioning her sponsor's name if she was just shopping around and having fun. She is under pressure from these big guns to keep plugging their products. Because her matches have been cut short by losing she has to advertise by other means.
She has not wasted anyone's hours. She doesn't hold a gun to anyone's head. We choose to watch her play. Some of us want to support her for one reason or another. I love her fighting spirit, her tenacity and her winning shots. No matter what anyone says, I think Maria tried very hard last night. Yes, she was hitting the ball in the middle of the court a lot. My excuse for her is that she did not want to take any risk because of the strong winds. You can take risks when you are up or ahead but not when you are behind most of the time. I have faith in Maria. She will be ready for USO.
Well, I gotta say she's running out of time. And taking a look at Cincy's draw it doesn't seem to me like this tournament is going to be a boost of confidence for her either. Kuznetsova in the 3rd round, then if she wins probably SERENA (so GAME OVER) and if she didn't have to play Serena then another tough opponent in the semis. Don't see Maria going far in that tournament either. I guess she's losing quite a few points this month. Anyway, that's not what bother me most, her form is not good AT ALL, and that serve, I don't know why she is making so little improvement on it. Seems like a chronic issue.
Anway, good luck Maria. For some reason I can not stop watching you. You've inspired me a lot with your fighting spirit and that has not gone away yet, even though you didn't act like that tough Sharapova when Voskoboeva gifted you that game where she was serving at 40-0 with three match points (ouch).
I agree with you guys, it sounded like what she wanted to say was..'Well now that I'm out, I have time to visit the Cole Hahn Store....for a while I thought I wasn't going to have time'. Like that was what was bothering her. I've said it before, this girl has too many more important (as she sees it) things to do 'off court'. She used a really bad choice of words to say it, or at least letting us know about it. Fact is though, she makes more money from them than hitting a ball around and sweating profusely and getting tired out. Time to get her priorities right.
Hush, hush my dear Philli & other "piranhas". Masha just has to to make those sponsors happy, so a quick visit
at a shoeshop won't hurt her, if she has picked the right size that is. It's what she did later what's matters and
that we don't know. I guess she's trainin' and workin' hard for her next match...THAT'S A MUST!!!
I'm certainly not Masha's biggest fan but all that negativism from YOU REAL FANS is simply "very silly".
So the girl has some problems...so what? That's no reason to bury her. I don't care, but you all should...
geezz, what a mentality!!! When u fall u get up and try again...even if u fall again...
I don't know what to say really but in a way I admire Serena for her high level of tennis after such a long lay off. Her will to win makes me jealous
I asked Maria that a couple of weeks ago and this is the answer...Q7
If the link doesnt work just copy and paste it on the URL bar ;)
Here they are:1. Maria, how is Dolce? People miss seeing him on tv with you. JoannaThanks for asking about Dolce, he is doing great. I miss him a lot when I am travelling. I just posted a very short video of him on my facebook page if you want to check it out.
2. Maria, First of all, I'm a huge fan! My question is what do you like to do in your free time? Besides tennis and working out. For example a hobby you have that most do not know about? DougI spend a lot of my free time with my family and friends because I am travelling so much. I also spend time working on my different business projects, like my Nike collection and my Cole Haan collection.
3. Hey Maria! I'm planning on having a movie marathon at some point, any movies you recommend? By the way, I'm hoping to see you at the Brisbane International next year :) AlisaraA Movie marathon sounds like a lot of fun, I watch a lot of movies when I am on the road. I would maybe start with some 007 and then get into some movies like the Hangover and Old School.4. Hi Maria, I'm 12 from Australia and my question is when you play a tough opponent, what goes through your mind and how do you deal with it and win? AleksandraThis is a great question. I love playing the tough opponents, this is what I live for. I try to be really focused in my preparation and when I step onto the court, I just want to fight fight fight for every point!!5. Hey Maria! My question is this : which would you say was better, your basketball skills or Sasha's tennis skills? LauraI think we should both stick with our own sports!!! Ha Ha
6. How important do you feel it is to connect with your fans? SehreneI have some of the best fans in the entire world, I think social networking has been a great way for me to connect with my fans. I also think my fans have enjoyed my new website, so I am trying to do as many things as possible to keep my fans updated on my life on and off the court.
7. Will you ever play doubles again in your career such as the 2012 Olympics? PadraicI think my doubles should stayed retired!!!
8. Hi Maria! I've always wondered what's inside your tennis bag during the tennis match? EvgenijaI like to keep my racket bag very simple inside. I carry about 6-8 rackets on the court. I have some string, grips, my music and that's about it. Nothing too exciting.
9. I'm Joanna from Hungary and I've been a big fan of you for 7 years now! I'd like to ask you what it would mean to you to win the Olympic Gold Medal? It must be a wonderful moment when they're playing the Russian anthem for you :) JoannaI can't wait to play the Olympics!!! It is a dream of mine to be an Olympic athlete. I was crushed when I could not play in Beijing.
10. If you had a wish now, what will it be? NellaMy wish is to stay healthy and I know good things will happen on the court.
I already said and I want to say it again. The women tennis is a f.....g mess. With her new win in Toronto after Stanford, all the credit must go to Serena. And not to forget two months ago, she didn't know if she could make her return for the US tour. Like we say in our homeland, a true champion never dies.
What does piss me off is no one in the WTA top20, or top10, NO ONE is able to resist the hurricane Serena? She returned after being sidelined 49 weeks because of injury and sickness and won two major tournaments. Unbelievable!
As of this week, Maria is now ranked #7 in the world, due to her loss in the 3rd round. Cincinatti and Roger's Cup were switched and she wasn't able to defend her final points. Very dissapointing. Like this website has said, she does not have any points to defend next week in Cincinatti because she did not compete in the Rogers Cup last year.
C'mon Maria! Kick into high gear and get back into the top of the world! You CAN do it.
Valkyre, Maria has no points to defend next week, so the points she gets during Cincinatti will add to her overall ranking points. It should help her. Take Serena for example. She has no points to defend since she was absent from the tour for almost a year, so all the points she gets will just pile up. (She has gone from 80th to 31st because of her Toronto win).
This is why I am even more excited for 2012, Maria missed alot of the first part of the season after the Australian Open becuase she was sick (pulled out of Qatar, Dubai, and Paris). If she does well there, she could move alot more up the rankings. Hopefully in the top 3!
Lets be honest.....when Williams wants to be, she IS the number 1. Over the years her only stutters have come with a couple of defeats against Maria and Venus. As for MARIA.....more of the same ...inconsistent, lack of a plan b, poor serve (why is the throw so flaming high??), the sponsors, shopping.......blah blah.....
The way i see it, it´s up to Maria. The only one who can come up with a really qualified answer to her style of playing is Vera Zvonareva. And we all know she has played some incredible tennis, from time to time ,during the last 12 months. I remember her dismantling Wozniacki through the greatest performance of tennis last year. I don´t thing Zvonareve actually knew she could put up such a performance, but she did. Some of the best tennis i´ve ever seen.
I hope for the love of tennis that thest two amazing contenders will meet again, Zvonareva against Maria could be, if they decide to give it all, be one of the best matches the tennis world has ever seen.
For tonights match, Well.... the name of the opponent says it all. No need to try to push Maria in any direction, there´s no love los there. I think Maria will win this, by all counts, she is the better player.
So go for it Maria.