logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Rogers Cup 2011 Toronto Aug 08-14, 2011
deadchip
#61 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:25:53 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Caro was not sharp and got into one of her moods. The wind was bothering her along with pretty much every thing else! She may be rusty after not playing for a while. Not used to being off maybe.
Masha is my #1!!
Imnumber2
#62 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:10:29 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Looks like it's very windy .... not a great condition for tennis but hey it goes for both players so we'll who's going to take chances.

Davai!!!

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
goran.k@gmail.com
#63 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:57:33 PM(UTC)
goran.k@gmail.com

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yes!!!!!!!!!! Maria wins 6-1, 7-5.

Played great tennis, but had some issues mid way through with Double Faults. After talking to Hogstead, however, the double faults seemed to have disappeared :).

First set was a straight up "tennis lesson" as the commentators put it. Second set, Jovanovski def. showed some spirit...but it just wasn't enough against Maria Sharapova <33
Imnumber2
#64 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:05:15 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Those DFs!!! ....but happy to see her pull in 2 sets!

paul_pipkin
#65 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:26:19 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1866 time(s) in 1236 post(s)

THURSDAY: Sharapova vs Voskoboeva NB 15:00 EDT Eurosport http://www.rogerscup.com...n/pdf/draws/OP_aug11.pdf 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
amidadi
#66 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:27:47 PM(UTC)
amidadi

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 15 post(s)

Sorry I misses the match and will look for the video on TennisTV.  Maria certainly knows better than I what it will take to beat Serena and take it all, and she will do it.

paul_pipkin
#67 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:53:44 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: amidadi Go to Quoted Post

Sorry I misses the match and will look for the video on TennisTV.  Maria certainly knows better than I what it will take to beat Serena and take it all, and she will do it.

Welcome to the forum, amidadi

Valkyre
#68 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:25:32 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Great tennis both by Maria and Jovanovski in the second set.

Maria Played beautiful tennis, apart from those first games in the second set where she dropped her first 3 service games. She made a total of 5 DFs during those 3 games and 4 in just one game. Clearly it got to her a bit. But even then she played good tennis because she was breaking the serve of Jovanovski. Some amazing points from both players during that time. Maria played the big points amazing. When she was down 2-4 and Jova was about to send the game to a 2-5 in her favor, Maria played beautifuly, she had some amazing defensive play even though Jova was playing excellent tennis. Yet Maria defended the points and turned around a 0-40 into her favor.

After that her serve returned and she broke Jova one more time, hold her serve and won the game. By far the best match in Toronto thus far.

Maria produced some amazing winners with great angles and her serve was better apart from those 3 2nd set serve games. A total of 72% first serve is not a bad number in my book. She still needs to work on it, mainly the mental part because when it gets to her she loses it a bit. Another aspect of her game that showed improvement was her footwork. Maria simply defended points she normally never would (for those who have watched her play they know what I mean). Her coach has improved that area A LOT. Overall I was satisfied, even if I had to sleep at 4am in the morning and wake up 3 hours later for work haha. Now next up is qualifier Voskoboeva

For those that missed the match here are some videos:

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGnWzwBQWis

Post match interview (Maria = so cute :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_enCTCO20

Enjoy! Will update with new videos once they come up :)

Go Maria!

PS: WTA official site is becoming a really bad joke... it looks more like a Serena Williams blog rather than a tennis website. All I see is Serena Serena Serena on the front page... Masha played arguably the most exciting match in the series so far and it is mentioned in a Serena article somewhere in the middle in a single paragraph...pathetic...but no matter...go Maria!!

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/11/2011(UTC)
goran.k@gmail.com
#69 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:42:52 AM(UTC)
goran.k@gmail.com

Originally Posted by: Valkyre Go to Quoted Post

Great tennis both by Maria and Jovanovski in the second set.

Maria Played beautiful tennis, apart from those first games in the second set where she dropped her first 3 service games. She made a total of 5 DFs during those 3 games and 4 in just one game. Clearly it got to her a bit. But even then she played good tennis because she was breaking the serve of Jovanovski. Some amazing points from both players during that time. Maria played the big points amazing. When she was down 2-4 and Jova was about to sent the game to a 2-5 in her favor, Maria played beautifuly, she had some amazing defensive play even though Jova was playing amazing tennis. Yet Maria defended the points and turned around a 0-40 into her favor.

After that her serve returned and she broke Jova one more time, hold her serve and won the game. By far the best match in Toronto thus far.

Maria produced some amazing winners with great angles and her serve was better apart from those 3 2nd set serve games. A total of 72% first serve is not a bad number in my book. She still needs to work on it, mainly the mental part because when it gets to her she loses it a bit. Another aspect of her game that showed improvement was her footwork. Maria simply defended points she normally never would (for those who have watch her play they know what I mean). Her coach has improved that area A LOT. Overall I was satisfied, even if I had to sleep at 4am in the morning and wake up 3 hours later for work haha. Now next up is qualifier Voskoboeva

For those that missed the match here are some videos:

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGnWzwBQWis

Post match interview (Maria = so cute :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_enCTCO20

Enjoy! Will update with new videos once they come up :)

Go Maria!

PS: WTA official site is becoming a really bad joke... it looks more like a Serena Williams blog rather than a tennis website. All I see is Serena Serena Serena... Masha played arguably the most exciting match in the series so far and it is mentioned in a Serena article somewhere in the middle in a single paragraph...pathetic...but no matter...go Maria!

I totally agree! It made me so happy to see Maria going for those points that she would usually just stop trying for. She has it in her to be both an offensive and defensive player and it just makes me beam with joy. Super excited for tomorrows match! It will be difficult but I have so much faith in Maria.

saggittarian
#70 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:54:40 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Let's hope the wind has died down by today. I have faith that Maria can win this round.

Watching Li Na vs Sam Stosur now. What's all that shout for Li Na?? All that money pouring in just cos she won 1 GS? Her play today does not impress me. No more than when Maria lost to her in RG.

Shame Rafa is out.

paul_pipkin
#71 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:14:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Current Eurosport on CastAmp: http://www.lshunter.tv/i...out=popup&Itemid=327

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Freedom23 on 8/11/2011(UTC)
Brebis
#72 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:25:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)
No solid game , many mistakes, slow !! It's not fun watching her match at the moment. No control of the match, with her mind on the shoulder. In my opinion stretching it too often. For a # 135 in the world , this kid is plying some good tennis. The wind is no longer a excuse. She had enough situations like this. Confidence is slipping away after some good months.
saggittarian
#73 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:08:18 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Maria  hasn't really played her best since Rome. That tournament was her best since the shoulder injury. Shame she lost today. She did fight very hard but everything was against her including some smart play by her opponent. I'd like to see Serena handle this kid.

Keep up the fight for the next tournament, Maria. Very frustrating match but there is always the next one.

Brebis
#74 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:11:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

Disappointing match ! I think there is much more going on with the shoulder than we all know ! I must say that the other girl ( whatever her name is ) played lucky, and some great tennis. That Maria can not control a match like this is to worry about. She was pissed off and is losing all of her confidence. For one unknown reason, the game is not there when playing a match. By the way; I would get very frustrated about all those planes flying over your head and not to mention the speaker / music during change over. Have players any rights to comment on this ? It will distract me, for sure !!! Ps; Noticed that Goerges is not wearing Maria's clothing line anymore ?? Is this because she thinks she is famous now ?? Haha.

goran.k@gmail.com
#75 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:13:06 PM(UTC)
goran.k@gmail.com

That was a horrible match. It was hard to watch. It looked like Maria didn't even want to be there. She let so many balls go by without even trying to go for them- stopping her attempt to get to them halfway through (per usual Maria). She was not being aggressive enough either- she is way more powerful than she displayed today. She also did not push that girl around- She hit so many balls to the middle, that the girl barely had to move.

Omg I still can't even believe what just happened. The girl was up 40-0 with Match Points, and she totally flopped and Maria won the game. I thought Maria's fighting spirit would come out and she would take the set and easily win the third...but that clearly didnt happen.

I'm super disappointed in what just happened. I need more from Maria, and I KNOW that she can deliver.
1 user thanked goran.k@gmail.com for this useful post.
saggittarian on 8/11/2011(UTC)
Imnumber2
#76 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:35:48 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

A disappointing day indeed! it has been a horrible tournament so far. And not just from the players ......If I'm not mistaken, it has been like this for the past 2-3 tournaments especially in Toronto. SO not fair for the fans!!

As to Maria, she is simply not able to step up her game in this circumstances, why? I have no idea but I'm very disappointed for sure!.

Ruyman_Mashalover
#77 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:36:01 PM(UTC)
Ruyman_Mashalover

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
SO disappointing!!! Especially after "coming" (Voskoboeva gifted her the game) back from 40-0 on Voskoboeva's serve.

Maria's serve is just ****. She hit so many balls right into Voskoboeva's hitting zone. This is even more ashaming than the hammering Serena gave her a week or so ago.

Man, how much I'd love to be a fan of Serena (although I love her game, I'm not what you would call a fan, mainly because of all the hammerings she has given Maria lol)!!! She's 1000% better than any other player right now.

And what about WTA'S number one? No comments...
shrapilova
#78 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 12:39:18 AM(UTC)
shrapilova

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Very disappointing what happened.
How will she continue ?
I try to imagine what will happen next,
think we should not expect much from her.
CROUCHING TIGER
#79 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 12:41:52 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
Damn, was i pissed off yesterday!!! I finally had i all for me and i couldn't get in that chatroom!!!

Tried several times during the Petko-match...no way. Nice dance btw:) Kvitova was nowhere just as Masha

during that "Russian match"(make no mistake,Voskobajeva IS Russian and then u just do't give an inch).

Dunno if it's the shoulder, the music, the whatever excuse Masha has, fact is she just couldn't answer

the clever game by her opponent(superb dropshots). I keep hammering on Hogstedt. The good man certainly

does everything to make her play more polyvalent or eclectic and for a while that worked...now it seems

to me she thinks she's already "there" (NOT). She just had to pick a SO VERY FRUSTRATED Vosko in that

second set...what happened there? Still can figure it out, anyway CONGRATZ to the rightful winner. U went

for it, fought for it and in the end got it!!! And once again ranking means nothing in matches like this...

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
CROUCHING TIGER
#80 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 1:28:04 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)