logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Serve
caroley
#1 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 1:02:23 PM(UTC)
caroley

Groups: Registered

If Maria can perfect her serve, she can be anyone, and I'm sure she is aware of it.

Go Maria!

BluSthil
#2 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 3:17:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: BasicUsers

If Maria hopes to return to her former greatness, in my opinion, she needs to reduce her ball toss to the height of her racket at full extension, and use a whip like action on her contact. Her extremely high ball toss is hurting her in her first serve and double fault percentage. I think her coach is overlooking this very important part of her game. I hope Maria reads some of these comments.
Freedom23
#3 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 8:48:26 PM(UTC)
Freedom23

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)

I agree. She's 6'2, serving should be very natural for her if not super easy. Her second serve is basically another first serve, but she says it's her being aggressive. A simple throwing the ball toss up at a good height and smacking it down is all Maria needs due to her height. It's funny how Hogstedt has helped Maria with practically every part of her game, except her serve. Masha served b-e-a-utifully in Rome (and won it), so she can serve great, well all know that (I am definitely not saying Maria has a horrific serve). BOTTOM LINE: Girl needs a serve intervention, PRONTO!!

It's kind of cool that Maria can hit 13 double faults in a match and still win in 2 sets, (Wimbledon, against Sabine).

Hope she plays A LOT better in Toronto! She can win it!

Integrity is the best policy.

bilal 10
#4 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 10:18:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yes<iam agree
the serve is bad from maria
if the serve like serve in stanford<maria lost in the first round in toronto
Valkyre
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:00:25 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Maria served extremely well in a lot of matches this year. Rome and RG and in others. Its true that her consistency needs a lot of work. When she is serving good it ups her confidence considerably no matter who is on the other side of the court. When she is not doing well, then things become difficult for her, even if the opposition is not of her caliber.

I dont know if it is the ball toss or whatever, the ball toss didnt seem to hurt her before her injury, when her serve was much more consistent. And I really dont think Hogstedt has no clue about what Maria's game needs, or that we know better than him, or else we wouldn't be talking in this forum but we would be coaching/training tennis athletes instead...

yahia
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:01:49 PM(UTC)

She can't get back on track till she believe again in herself, she looks shaky all of the time with the Fragile Performance and inconsistency all through her game... she should realize that she is better than the others, when she do that she will win...the injury is the main cause for this!
BluSthil
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:52:43 PM(UTC)

Maria's serve is good at best. I am watching Kevin Andersen, from South Africa, play Andy Murray. At the moment, Andersen is dictating the match to Murray. If Maria wasn't too proud, she would ask Andersen for some time to work with her on her serve. Kevin is tall like Maria and his ball toss is superb ! He gets tremendous speed on the ball with his ball toss height and follow through.

I am not picking on Maria. I like her tennis very much. However, it's like looking at the world from inside a barrel, as opposed to looking at it unhindered. Non tennis pros do have some insight, and there have been plenty of constructive criticism on her serve.

I know that Maria will continue to serve as she does, but I think it's to her detriment...
Valkyre
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:14:42 PM(UTC)
Valkyre

On the subject Maria is practicing her serve with her coach in Rogers Cup 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtsQsyBGLHw
1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
Brebis on 8/9/2011(UTC)
BluSthil
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:50:43 PM(UTC)

Valkyre,

I watched the youtube video. Her ball toss hasn't changed as far as I can tell. If you have a chance, watch Kevin Andersen's (South Africa) ball toss. I think you will agree that Maria could benefit from his style.

I want Maria to be at the top of the sport again, but changes must take place, in my opinion.
Valkyre
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2011 4:28:39 PM(UTC)
Valkyre

BluSthil;309661 wrote:
Valkyre,

I watched the youtube video. Her ball toss hasn't changed as far as I can tell. If you have a chance, watch Kevin Andersen's (South Africa) ball toss. I think you will agree that Maria could benefit from his style.

I want Maria to be at the top of the sport again, but changes must take place, in my opinion.

I agree ofcourse that her serve needs work. But I honestly dont believe that her ball toss is the problem. Maria was an 75-80% first serve player. She was if not the best one of the best in that area. And her ball toss was that high. Therefore I dont belive its the ball toss that is the problem. Its a combination of 2 things.

a) her shoulder injury and

b) the lack of confidence in her serve due to that injury.

Right now I think its more of a confidence issue rather than technique or skill. Maria hasnt forgotten how to serve. Look at Rome. When she is confident her serve is amazing. When she starts the match sloppy it pretty much ruins her confidence over that. But she will get it done. Her coach is not anyone. He knows what she has to do and she knows too. :)

BluSthil
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:28:28 PM(UTC)

Valkyre,

Maria can not serve the way she used to because of her injury. If she does, the injury may reoccur and end her career. She therefore had to modify her serve. Because of her height and long arms, she could generate the power needed to compete with anyone with a lower ball toss and a whipping action like motion. It would also prepare her better for the return. How many tall men tennis players throw the ball into the 'stratosphere' like Maria ? Although power alone will not insure success, it insures free points and puts the receiver on defense from the get go.

Time will tell if mine, your's, or someone elses observation is right. Maria has a warrior spirit. I want her to return to the top. If that means a serving style change, then so be it.

I'll be watching her next match with Bojana Jovanovski very closely.
Valkyre
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:23:36 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

To be honest I dont really care if I am right or wrong. :)

All I care is that one way or another Maria gets back up where she deserves to be! If she has to change the ball toss fine no problem with me. She can change completely the entire service motion if it suits her better and she can get accustomed with.