logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:55:00 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1880 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

Masha to begin the Olympic Year in Brisbane 

http://www.youtube.com/w...;feature=player_embedded 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
3 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
PodgeMcQ on 7/12/2011(UTC), rahim57 on 11/5/2011(UTC), giane on 12/2/2011(UTC)
PodgeMcQ
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:07:25 AM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Masha to begin the Olympic Year in Brisbane 

http://www.youtube.com/w...;feature=player_embedded 

The Brisbane International has also been upgraded to a premier tournament for the 2012 season  And Maria is also headlined for the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo - http://ca.reuters.com/ar...ws/idCATRE76B1MT20110712

"Before the start of the tournament, Caroline Woznaicki and Maria Sharapova will reach the Tokyo to participate in charity events to support earthquake and tsunami victims. The huge earthquake and tsunami destroyed the Japan on March 11, 2011."

maryncy15
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:41:58 PM(UTC)
maryncy15

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

Do you know if Maria is going to play tournaments in France (except the french open).

Like if one of her sponsor is planing an event in France ? 'Cause I really would love to met her and I could only see her in France, Belgium or Luzembourg.

Thanks a lot for you help :)

paul_pipkin
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:47:43 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Welcome to the forum.  Not likely this year. 2012 only beginning to shape up.

Sharapova, Li to lead charge in Tokyo

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55am EDT

TOKYO, Jul (Reuters) - Wimbledon finalist Maria Sharapova, French Open champion Li Na and world number one Caroline Wozniacki will headline this year's Pan Pacific Open, Tokyo organizers said on Tuesday.

Russian Sharapova, stunned by Czech Petra Kvitova in the women's Wimbledon final earlier this month, has twice won the $2.05 million Tokyo event, which begins on September 25.

Sharapova and Danish rival Wozniacki, the defending champion, will fly to Japan early to take part in charity events in support of the victims of the deadly earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

Organizers told Reuters, children would be invited from disaster-hit Fukushima Prefecture, where a power plant suffered a nuclear meltdown after being crushed by the tsunami wave.

"I was deeply saddened by the terrible disaster," Chinese trailblazer Li said in the statement, the first Asian to win a grand slam adding: "I continue to think about you during these difficult times."

Looking further ahead, Sharapova, currently ranked number five in the world, will open next year's campaign with January's Brisbane International, which was upgraded by the WTA to premier status for 2012, to warm up for the Australian Open.

"I have never been to Brisbane before and coming into the Australian Open I felt like Brisbane would be a good place for me to start the year," the glamour girl of women's tennis was quoted as saying on the tournament website(www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/) on Tuesday.

"It is the first tournament of the year and it's kind of here you see where your game is and how good your off-season has been and so you try and get in as many matches as you can before the Australian Open."

paul_pipkin
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 10:55:37 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Maria answers your questions!!

Posted on August 4, 2011

Thank you to everyone that sent in their questions for Maria.  They were all great and Maria has answered some of them.

(See: http://www.mariasharapov...k-Maria---questions.aspx )

9. I'm Joanna from Hungary and I've been a big fan of you for 7 years now! I'd like to ask you what it would mean to you to win the Olympic Gold Medal? It must be a wonderful moment when they're playing the Russian anthem for you :) Joanna
I can't wait to play the Olympics!!! It is a dream of mine to be an Olympic athlete. I was crushed when I could not play in Beijing.

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
rahim57 on 11/5/2011(UTC)
Valkyre
#9 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 4:20:47 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)
^^ it really must have been way hard on her not to be able to participate when she was at the peak of her game! 2008 Maria was strong ... really strong and confident! And then her shoulder injury stopped her just when she was going full speed! But no worries 2012 is going to be yours!
Brebis
#6 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 2:54:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 218 post(s)

Posted on August 4, 2011

Thank you to everyone that sent in their questions for Maria.  They were all great and Maria has answered some of them.

9. I'm Joanna from Hungary and I've been a big fan of you for 7 years now! I'd like to ask you what it would mean to you to win the Olympic Gold Medal? It must be a wonderful moment when they're playing the Russian anthem for you :) Joanna
I can't wait to play the Olympics!!! It is a dream of mine to be an Olympic athlete. I was crushed when I could not play in Beijing.

I'm still in shock !!!  Unexpected , Maria answered my question. I did send the question 3 times and in all cases I did get a reply saying "undelivered " !?!?!  Great,great, great !!!!!!

paul_pipkin
#8 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 3:01:54 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

Posted on August 4, 2011

I'm still in shock !!!  Unexpected , Maria answered my question. I did send the question 3 times and in all cases I did get a reply saying "undelivered " !?!?!  Great,great, great !!!!!!

I saw. Congrats, Nella.  Others had that same sending curiosity but apparently all questions sent DID go through.

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Brebis on 8/6/2011(UTC)
giane
#10 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 8:51:33 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
yeah.. congrats Nella! saw yours being the 10th question i guess.. :))
1 user thanked giane for this useful post.
Brebis on 8/6/2011(UTC)
dinara :D
#7 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 8:56:40 PM(UTC)
dinara :D

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)

So happy for you! :D 

1 user thanked dinara :D for this useful post.
Brebis on 8/6/2011(UTC)
giane
#11 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 9:19:50 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
just a thought.. 2012 is the year of the dragon! and i can now say, at times when i will watch Maria, no more unlucky times. haha for sure, everytime i will watch her by the year 2012, curse that unluckiness. THAT IS MY YEAR!
Philli
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:45:33 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Not a bad draw, I suppose. Bartoli is a toughy.. may cause Maria a few problems if she is on form. I see a big question mark at the bottom. Kim vs Serena. Kim always seems to start sloppy in Tournaments and Serena goes off like a rocket when she is 'fresh'. I Hope Kim will be sharper than usual for this match up. Elsewhere, there a few match ups that could have been 'delayed' until a further round, which gives me the impression that this has been a 'little bit fixed'. Still, all in all, it is a good pointer towards the USO, although we still have Cincinatti before then. I'm just wondering if Maria or Serena will duck out of that one and 'save' themselves for Flushing Meadows. Time will tell.
1 user thanked Philli for this useful post.
rahim57 on 11/5/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 8:48:37 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Philli Go to Quoted Post
Not a bad draw, I suppose. Bartoli is a toughy.. may cause Maria a few problems if she is on form. I see a big question mark at the bottom. Kim vs Serena. Kim always seems to start sloppy in Tournaments and Serena goes off like a rocket when she is 'fresh'. I Hope Kim will be sharper than usual for this match up. Elsewhere, there a few match ups that could have been 'delayed' until a further round, which gives me the impression that this has been a 'little bit fixed'. Still, all in all, it is a good pointer towards the USO, although we still have Cincinatti before then. I'm just wondering if Maria or Serena will duck out of that one and 'save' themselves for Flushing Meadows. Time will tell.

Yeah, there are tell-tale signs around that it didn't all "just happen". But I'm not making out a clear scenario overall. Like you say, as in Kim-Serena, there are too many variables. Perhaps some "insiders" think they have a pretty good bead on where everyone is at right now, but I doubt they really do. 

Nazar
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:25:20 AM(UTC)
Nazar

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Let them think  in their way / I mean "insiders"/ It doesnt matter really,cos they are wrong and live in their own world!!!

As to you,Paul, you are lucky that senator Joseph McCarthey is not in this world,the way you think is so RED!!!

p.s. to tell the truth: I like the way you think

"Optimists find good things"-Robert De Niro
paul_pipkin
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:43:36 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Nazar Go to Quoted Post

Let them think  in their way / I mean "insiders"/ It doesnt matter really,cos they are wrong and live in their own world!!!

As to you,Paul, you are lucky that senator Joseph McCarthey is not in this world,the way you think is so RED!!!

p.s. to tell the truth: I like the way you think

Hey, it took seven decades to prove Marx was wrong--but it only took one or two more to prove he was right after all. lol

Nazar
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:59:22 AM(UTC)
Nazar

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Yeah,Marx was right,and what is going on with American debt and recent EU problems proves that!!!

"Optimists find good things"-Robert De Niro
paul_pipkin
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:34:16 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

It has always been an option to play Masha in the first 2012 Fed Cup tie--in February after AO--and it now appears that may be the agenda. Given her chronic bad luck in Moscow, that makes sense. The site of the first 2012 tie (against Spain) is also Olympic Stadium:

http://www.tennis-russia.ru/news/ftr/item_3549 

paul_pipkin
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:42:15 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Maria Sharapova: I want to win a medal in London 

October 28, 2011, № 167 (18 550)

Statement of Maria Sharapova that she be removed from the (YEC) tournament, few were surprised at the press center. Not many people believed that the second racket of the world, almost bereft of chances to get into the playoffs, would continue to fight for the title - with an injured leg. So the press conference after the defeat of the Russians at Li on Wednesday night became the latest to her this season.

"I am pleased the previous year"

- Alas, but must admit that my expectations were not met - began Sharapova. - I thought that after the first match my leg would be better, but in fact only increased inflammation, and swelling has increased. I could not move normally on the court, could not fully concentrate on the fight. Continue to act in such a situation simply does not make sense. Why risk one's health when the season is almost finished? 

- Maybe the decision to fly to Istanbul was a mistake? 
- Maybe I'm really back in the Tour ahead of time. This was my first time with this injury  and I do not fully understand how and what I need to do. But I do not regret that I still made ​​Istanbul - and Maria gives a charming smile, clearly aimed at the organizers. - Moreover, the two matches I had a good idea, and could win, but somewhere I was not strong enough, somewhere - not good luck. I knew that I might have to withdraw, but also understood and more - even without uploading at full strength, I could fight for the victory. And it did. 

- Fight for the first place in ranking did not happen. But overall you're happy with the season? 
- Of course! Year-end a bit disappointing, but I started it in the second top ten and finish - the second racket of the world! I played great on the ground, reached the finals of Wimbledon, although in recent years I've played poorly in London. And most importantly - feel that the new season may get even better.

"The main objective - OLYMPICS!"

- This is an Olympic season. - That's it! And it is very difficult. Summer will be a busy schedule - two "Grand Slams" in a row, then the Olympics and almost immediately - US Open. We'll have to sweat heavily. 

- But the main purpose for you ... 
- Olympics! I very much want to win a medal in London. So now it is so important to fully recover and better prepare for the beginning of the year. 
- Where are planning to open the season? 
- most likely in Brisbane. 
- If you go to a match with Li. The defeat of the tiebreak strongly prevented properly tuned for the second set? 
- partly. Actually, I tried not to think about it, but hard to lead 4-0 and then lose seven points in a row. After this it takes time to re-enter into its rhythm, begin to fight. Therefore, my opponent so quickly led to a second party. Although in general I am more dissatisfied in the first set - I have had many opportunities to leave her behind, but at key points Li played great. 
- What did the coach say after the game? 
- to sense anything. Hogstedt barely went into the locker room, when I immediately said that I would not play the third match. Said the match with Li just does not make sense. 

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/489251

2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 11/2/2011(UTC), rahim57 on 11/5/2011(UTC)
Brebis
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:55:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 218 post(s)
I just have that feeling that when the year 2012 starts , Maria is a married woman !
Dartagnan
#21 Posted : Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:12:26 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

I just have that feeling that when the year 2012 starts , Maria is a married woman !

Quick Marriage is like a mousetrap. Those on the outside are trying to get in. Those on the inside are trying to get out. 

MASHA

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.