logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Rogers Cup 2011 Toronto Aug 08-14, 2011
deadchip
#1 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 2:58:31 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)

Formerly known as the Canadian Open,  the event will be held this year at the Rexall Centre in Toronto. Last year, I attended the rain soaked event in Montreal and Masha opted out at the last minute after an injury suffered in the final against Kim in Cincinnati, the Sunday before the Roger's Cup started:(

The tournament will be held before Cinci this year, so Maria will be very, very likely to be there. Tier 1 Mandatory tournament, so the draw should include almost all top players.

The men's tournament willl be held in Montreal this year the same week, when usually they play in Canada on diffferent weeks. I'll be back in Montreal again for next year!!!

GO MARIA

Masha is my #1!!
1 user thanked deadchip for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 7/29/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#2 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2011 3:10:00 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

July 04, 2011

Tennis Canada

Exciting Matches Ahead at Rogers Cup

July 4, 2011

With Wimbledon now complete, the attention of the tennis world shifts to the North American summer hard court season. And the best place to see newly crowned Slam champion Petra Kvitova and all the ladies of the WTA is in Toronto at Rogers Cup presented by National Bank.

Classified a Premier 5 tournament, it is the biggest event of the summer before the US Open, and an impressive player turnout is expected. Serena and Venus Williams are already confirmed, as are Li Na, Maria Sharapova, and Ana Ivanovic.

A preliminary match schedule has been created, and here is when you can see the top players take to the court for their opening matches:

PLAYER
DATE

Serena Williams
Tuesday, August 9 (evening session)

Li Na
Wednesday, August 10 (matinee session)

Maria Sharapova
Wednesday, August 10 (evening session)

Player list: http://www.rogerscup.com...n/english/playerList.php 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
deadchip on 7/30/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:41:28 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Favorite picture from Rogers Cup:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2009

Rogers Cup

Elena Dementieva wins Rogers cup in Toronto. Fourth seed Dementieva beats Maria Sharapova in the finals as 6-4, 6-3 to win the title. Maria Sharapova who gave her come back after 10 month due to shoulder injury struggled hard to concede her form, but failed. It was Dementieva's third WTA title of the year.

This year, hope for the BIG trophy. lol

Brebis
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:19:46 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 364 time(s) in 217 post(s)

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Favorite picture from Rogers Cup:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2009

Rogers Cup

Elena Dementieva wins Rogers cup in Toronto. Fourth seed Dementieva beats Maria Sharapova in the finals as 6-4, 6-3 to win the title. Maria Sharapova who gave her come back after 10 month due to shoulder injury struggled hard to concede her form, but failed. It was Dementieva's third WTA title of the year.

This year, hope for the BIG trophy. lol

If she find Serena in her half of the draw , I'm afraid there will be no throphy !!

paul_pipkin
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:20:38 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Serena had perhaps first worry about Kirilenko--the only one to actually challenge her path to the Stanford final.  

Toronto is not exactly "enemy territory" for Serena, but will not provide her with automatic "preferred" status either. And you know how reliant she is on that validation.

Yes, the "draw" (in quotes because there is no longer any such thing in any real sense) is probably critical. It would be very dangerous to try to pull gross abuses (like at this CitiOpen at DC) on court in Canuckistan. Phony "technical" stalls when a favorite is in trouble, umpires who literally look the other way on bad calls, streams cut whenever the "preferred" are suffering extreme embarrassment anyway.

Even "Canadian" Stacey Alaster can't dare this crap too far off the protection of US soil, though she may feel less jeopardy in Toronto than she would in MontréalBut we shall see.

Brebis
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:36:49 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: deadchip Go to Quoted Post

Formerly known as the Canadian Open,  the event will be held this year at the Rexall Centre in Toronto. Last year, I attended the rain soaked event in Montreal and Masha opted out at the last minute after an injury suffered in the final against Kim in Cincinnati, the Sunday before the Roger's Cup started:(

The tournament will be held before Cinci this year, so Maria will be very, very likely to be there. Tier 1 Mandatory tournament, so the draw should include almost all top players.

The men's tournament willl be held in Montreal this year the same week, when usually they play in Canada on diffferent weeks. I'll be back in Montreal again for next year!!!

GO MARIA

I remember that Deadchip, as you were coming over from Vancouver Island !! Have you seen any whales lately ?

deadchip
#7 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 1:31:45 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Not recently, though Orcas do swim by my office sometimes, but it's been a few months since the last swim by!!
Masha is my #1!!
Brebis
#8 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 2:54:22 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: deadchip Go to Quoted Post
Not recently, though Orcas do swim by my office sometimes, but it's been a few months since the last swim by!!
Ok , they might be on holiday ? 

paul_pipkin
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:25:20 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

August 02, 2011

Tennis Canada

WILDCARDS ANNOUNCED FOR ROGERS CUP PRESENTED BY NATIONAL BANK

Fifteen Canadians to participate on home soil; Marino gains direct entry into Toronto main draw

August 2, 2011, Toronto - Tennis Canada announced Tuesday the men's and women's wildcard entries into the singles main draw of Rogers Cup presented by National Bank in Montreal and Toronto. Canadians Philip Bester (Vancouver), Erik Chvojka (Kirkland, Ontario) and Vasek Pospisil (Vernon, British Columbia) will see main draw action in Montreal while Eugenie Bouchard (Westmount, Quebec), Stephanie Dubois (Laval, Quebec) and Aleksandra Wozniak (Blainville, Quebec) will play in Toronto. The fourth main draw wildcard for Rogers Cup in Montreal will go to rising Australian star Bernard Tomic.

Canada's top-ranked female singles player Rebecca Marino (Vancouver) has also gained direct entry into the main draw. The world No. 41 player was moved up when Romania's Alexandra Dulgheru withdrew from the tournament. It will be Marino's first Rogers Cup main draw appearance. Additionally, qualifying wild cards have been determined bringing the total number of Canadians participating at the home events to 15.

"I'm so happy to have moved up into the main draw based on the merit of my own ranking," said Marino. "It also means that an extra spot can go to one of my fellow Canadian females which is amazing for the fans and Canadian tennis. I'm so excited to play in my first Rogers Cup main draw. To get that chance to play on this big stage in front of a supportive home crowd is something I truly can't wait for."

...On the women's side, 17-year-old Bouchard has had a phenomenal year capturing her first two professional Challenger titles, playing Fed Cup for the first time, capturing the Junior Wimbledon doubles crown and winning her first WTA main draw match last week at Washington. She is currently ranked No. 6 in the world on the ITF Junior Rankings.

Dubois, 24, has been on a hot streak since April, capturing two Challenger titles at Charlottesville and Granby, reaching the second round at Wimbledon after advancing through qualifying and making her first WTA quarter-final appearance in six years at Washington last week. She has moved up to No. 107 on the WTA singles rankings.

Former world No. 21, Wozniak, 23, is still working her way back from extended absences due to injury. She qualified for both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in 2011, reaching the second round in Paris before falling to top-seed Caroline Wozniacki. She also made a much-welcome return to Canada's Fed Cup team in February, winning one match in their loss versus Serbia.

The wildcards were also decided for the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank qualifying tournament that takes place August 6-7 at Rexall Centre and Stade Uniprix....

For the women in Toronto, Gabriela Dabrowski (Ottawa), Heidi El-Tabakh (Toronto), Sharon Fichman (Toronto) and Marie-Eve Pelletier (Repentigny, Quebec) will take their crack at making it to the big show. One additional wildcard will be determined via a pre-qualifying tournament involving Canadians Dominique Harmath, Kimberly-Ann Surin, Brittany Wowchuk and Carol Zhao, with the final female entrant to be confirmed at a later date.

The virtually combined official draw for Rogers Cup presented by National Bank will take place at Uniprix Stadium and Rexall Centre respectively on Friday, August 5 at 4:00 p.m (EDT).

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
deadchip on 8/3/2011(UTC)
giane
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:05:06 AM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
ooh paul! posting that pic made me miss luke's golden girl.. :(

btw, will maria play at Roger's? she's at Taiwan atm right? oh my, been busy the past few days that i am not updated with the sched. crap on me.
PodgeMcQ
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:24:04 AM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Originally Posted by: giane Go to Quoted Post
ooh paul! posting that pic made me miss luke's golden girl.. :(

btw, will maria play at Roger's? she's at Taiwan atm right? oh my, been busy the past few days that i am not updated with the sched. crap on me.

Nah she isnt playing in Taiwan until September 22nd

https://secure.auctionde...tion=main&OrgID=8358

1 user thanked PodgeMcQ for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 8/4/2011(UTC)
Wead
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:23:19 AM(UTC)

Rogers cup 2011 schedule, dates, results, men's and women's singles & doubles details here

Rogers Cup 2011 Schedule
Rogers Cup 2011 Venues
Philli
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:37:25 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I was just checking out the Official Rogers Cup Website and the players list and noticed that Serena is still ranked 25 ....as she was BEFORE... Wimbledon. There are only 8 Seeds for this tournament, but if they keep her at '25' it will have an effect on her placing. Remember she is actually 79 NOW.
paul_pipkin
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 9:38:55 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Philli Go to Quoted Post
I was just checking out the Official Rogers Cup Website and the players list and noticed that Serena is still ranked 25 ....as she was BEFORE... Wimbledon. There are only 8 Seeds for this tournament, but if they keep her at '25' it will have an effect on her placing. Remember she is actually 79 NOW.

Hey, Philli. Yeah, I don't imagine Tennis Canada can totally resist the illicit demands from the Yankee power-brokers. The Toronto draw may leave a lot to be desired.

But they and CBC don't acede to pressure to play most of the tournament in the dark like the rest of the USO Series events. That alone limits the degree of on-court hanky-panky that can be attempted.

But that "79" throws into high relief WHY the USO must be stitched up. Yankee mouthpieces have sung the same song, dissing the ranking system whenever a Williams number drops, that it's worn thin even for ESPN's stupid jock audience. They gotta get her nominal ranking up by any means necessary. 

le maitre couturier
#15 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 11:20:10 AM(UTC)
le maitre couturier

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I'm alive

I don't know anything of what has happened in tennis world since Wimbledon. I've just followed le Tour de France & nothing more during these weeks. if I'm not wrong it was at the time of the tournament in Montecarlo that I last wrote here ... well, I've been really busy at first & now I'm putting all my energies into painting. hope you're going well, I've heard that Maria lost to Serena recently, well I didn't watch the match, but, honestly, I don't think it is such a tragedy ... afterwards, she was always against Serena Williams, even if not at the top of her form. Anyway, there will be other opportunities soon, maybe right here in Toronto.

I've to leave you now, hope to be back soon.

hello everybody

ShelbyK
#16 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 1:43:44 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

I'm ready too see Maria play. I always enjoy the shout box during her matches.

bilal 10
#26 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 3:24:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i want see the draw
paul_pipkin
#27 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 3:39:50 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: bilal 10 Go to Quoted Post
i want see the draw

Toronto draw is underway as we speak. It should be posted soon.

2 users thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
PodgeMcQ on 8/5/2011(UTC), rahim57 on 8/5/2011(UTC)
Brebis
#28 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 3:48:23 PM(UTC)

i want see the draw

Really, it only 08.45 am in Toronto ?!?!

Brebis
#29 Posted : Friday, August 05, 2011 4:23:43 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

i want see the draw

Really, it only 08.45 am in Toronto ?!?!

Don't know why I wrote this time. It's 05.20 pm at the moment is Toronto . About time for some draw information;

Round 1 not playing

Round two against Venus

Round three against Serena

Round 4 against against Na

Round 5 against Caroline

Round 6 against Justine