logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
Stanford: Bank of the West Classic JULY 25 - 31
tgj92
#104 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:10:02 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

sunstreet;309344 wrote:
Ahem, why does it smell like funeral in here? This is the world of tennis, you win some you loose some. Last night i had the oppotunity to watch a recap of the match, and it wasn´t at all that bad as you guys seems to think.
The fact is, when you´re up against a heavy server like Serena, you have to be at your best, from time to time even better than that. Remember last years match between Maria and Serena, Masha was the only one in the tournament to come close to changing the outcome of that match. This was just a lousy day at the office, so why are you all of a sudden acting like she´s no right to be in the spot where she is?
Come on guys you can do better than this. We all know where Maria comes from, what makes her tick. If im not wrong Maria is pissed like hell over this loss, and she´s hungry for revenge in a way that she can taste it.
So stop this load of negativity, be positive. After all she´s scheduled to top at the us open, this is the warm up for the big one, and if i´m not wrong some people in here will be up for a surprice.
So show some trust, i´ve never doubted Marias ability to win a tournament, i´ve never underestimated the amount of hard work and stamina she puts into her career. And i´ve never underestimated her craving for a lot of big wins in the future.
So come on guys, show some support, she deserves it.
Maybe some of you think that if you lose one match you´re a looser, which is total bullshit.
I for one will still set the alarm clock and get up at 5 o´clock in the morning to see Maria play a match.
And this is because she has inspired me more than most people, let alone women, has ever done.

So get a grip, and get over yourself, come 10 days there´s another tournament, another draw, a new match to play.

So go Maria. ,-)

Unbridled positivity and optimism. I love it!

But don't generalize too much. A lot of people were here at 3,4,5am the last few days :-)

deadchip
#106 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:59:14 AM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I'm not trying to be negative and I watched a replay of the match yesterday in HD and it wasn't as bad a drubbing as I thought from the poor quality cams we watched from live, at least in the second set. I'm just expressing some fears. I have to say Serena played very well, as she did against Lisicki. She left very few openings and closed the door on her opponents, as soon as it was opened. Serena appears to be on a mission. Sorry I don't like losing to her one little bit and I bet Masha doesn't either. The hand shake after the match was pretty normal too btw, not quite Lisiscki's butt kissing though!!!! We will all put this behind us and still be following and missing sleep to watch Masha and I'm still behind her 100%. I'm just concerned about the state of her head right now.
Masha is my #1!!
Valkyre
#105 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:25:00 PM(UTC)
Valkyre

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

sunstreet;309344 wrote:
Ahem, why does it smell like funeral in here? This is the world of tennis, you win some you loose some. Last night i had the oppotunity to watch a recap of the match, and it wasn´t at all that bad as you guys seems to think.
The fact is, when you´re up against a heavy server like Serena, you have to be at your best, from time to time even better than that. Remember last years match between Maria and Serena, Masha was the only one in the tournament to come close to changing the outcome of that match. This was just a lousy day at the office, so why are you all of a sudden acting like she´s no right to be in the spot where she is?
Come on guys you can do better than this. We all know where Maria comes from, what makes her tick. If im not wrong Maria is pissed like hell over this loss, and she´s hungry for revenge in a way that she can taste it.
So stop this load of negativity, be positive. After all she´s scheduled to top at the us open, this is the warm up for the big one, and if i´m not wrong some people in here will be up for a surprice.
So show some trust, i´ve never doubted Marias ability to win a tournament, i´ve never underestimated the amount of hard work and stamina she puts into her career. And i´ve never underestimated her craving for a lot of big wins in the future.
So come on guys, show some support, she deserves it.
Maybe some of you think that if you lose one match you´re a looser, which is total bullshit.
I for one will still set the alarm clock and get up at 5 o´clock in the morning to see Maria play a match.
And this is because she has inspired me more than most people, let alone women, has ever done.

So get a grip, and get over yourself, come 10 days there´s another tournament, another draw, a new match to play.

So go Maria. ,-)

Finally someone else in tune with what I am saying. I believe there is way too much drama in all this. Much more than there needs to be. I am not saying that Maria or us should be happy, I am just saying, like sunstreet above, that this is a sport and you win some you lose some. And when your run reads 17/20 wins it is not worthy of such a reaction, nor desperation.

As for Maria not perfoming in big games and being lucky to reach RG Semis, Wimbledon final and win Rome without any major competition etc etc I dissagree completely. She beat wozniacki in Rome she beat Lisicki (2ce) she defeated Sostur, Petkovic, Cibulkova, Radwanska, Hantuchova, Peng etc if you consider this a poor roster of lineup opponents to defeat then I have nothing more to say.

I know we all want to see her win, but sometimes its just not gonna happen. No matter how good you are sometimes you are off. Best thing to do when that happens is improve and keep fighting.

Brebis
#107 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:42:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)
It all looks so easy / simple if you see Serena play ! Hits the lines so beautiful and her serve is a piece of cake. Are the others making tennis so difficult for themselves ? By the way; Were is our friend Caroline ? Is she not playing a tournament each week ?
saggittarian
#108 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:20:10 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Brebis;309350 wrote:
It all looks so easy / simple if you see Serena play ! Hits the lines so beautiful and her serve is a piece of cake. Are the others making tennis so difficult for themselves ? By the way; Were is our friend Caroline ? Is she not playing a tournament each week ?

If I remember rightly, Caroline was injured last time she played. Her shoulder???

Yeah the second set against Bartoli tonight was a piece of cake.

yahia
#112 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:45:52 PM(UTC)

Double Fault Double Fault Double Fault Double Fault Double Fault !
robb
#109 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 12:06:25 PM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Brebis;309350 wrote:

Hate to say this, but I saw this result coming. 'Sheman' Williams is on a mission to get up the seeding rankings, and will be determined to sweep all before her. This was a match between a big hitter with an unreliable serve and an even bigger hitter who also throws in the odd shot of finesse, plus a serve which is second to non and ACCURATE.

I know Maria HAS made strides forward this season......it was great to see her win in Rome, for example. But its time for a reality check. The two defeats against Kvitova and Williams were against players who had far better overall games, and played them with, as I said above , far more accuracy. It is to this standard that Maria must aspire to if she is ever going to win another Grand Slam. Top ten she  maybe, but still there are half a dozen players who are more reliable/stronger on the day.

deadchip
#113 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 1:28:53 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I like Maria's comment on her facebook post, that, sometimes as an athlete it is important to have a selective memory and didn't want to mention last week!! This is very true, though it is likely easier to say than to do!
Masha is my #1!!
paul_pipkin
#110 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 1:58:53 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1876 time(s) in 1246 post(s)

robb;309361 wrote:

Brebis;309350 wrote:

Hate to say this, but I saw this result coming. 'Sheman' Williams is on a mission to get up the seeding rankings, and will be determined to sweep all before her. This was a match between a big hitter with an unreliable serve and an even bigger hitter who also throws in the odd shot of finesse, plus a serve which is second to non and ACCURATE.

I know Maria HAS made strides forward this season......it was great to see her win in Rome, for example. But its time for a reality check. The two defeats against Kvitova and Williams were against players who had far better overall games, and played them with, as I said above , far more accuracy. It is to this standard that Maria must aspire to if she is ever going to win another Grand Slam. Top ten she  maybe, but still there are half a dozen players who are more reliable/stronger on the day.

Hi robb. I agree with much of what you say, and will go further: If Masha were now 2011 Roland Garros and Wimbledon champion--as she should be--we'd regard this loss as incidental. But perhaps we'd then miss an important additional point.

Sweathawg's mission is broader than her ambition alone. American tennis overall is in a state such that the sport community's collective mind would regard another Serena disaster as tantamount to losing World War Three! I'a'tellin' you, USTA & its WTA tools will lie, cheat & steal to whatever degree necessary to prop her up thru the Series. If they can no longer sell the illusion of Yankee supremacy globally, they at least must persuade their domestic constituency that it's still somehow "all about US". 

There is no question the Stanford "draw" was designed to walk Serena through. The only serious challenge she faced was from Kirilenko--that surprised them. They'd thought Masha would be the one contender where Serena would have to work. And we could see how Kiri caught her off-guard.

We could see because Stanford this year refused to abet the media blackout & left the in-house vidcams streaming.  Without that, they might've been tempted to on-court corruption bad as that clumsy crap we saw going on in DC. (Where Petrova won in spite of it all.)  

None of this questions the work Masha & her team know she must accomplish. But we cannot ignore the fact that after Toronto through the USO, she has to play in a poisoned atmosphere on a tilted playing-field

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Brebis
#111 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 2:53:14 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

paul_pipkin;309365 wrote:

robb;309361 wrote:

Brebis;309350 wrote:

Hi robb. I agree with much of what you say, and will go further: If Masha were now 2011 Roland Garros and Wimbledon champion--as she should be--we'd regard this loss as incidental. But perhaps we'd then miss an important additional point.

Sweathawg's mission is broader than her ambition alone. American tennis overall is in a state such that the sport community's collective mind would regard another Serena disaster as tantamount to losing World War Three! I'a'tellin' you, USTA & its WTA tools will lie, cheat & steal to whatever degree necessary to prop her up thru the Series. If they can no longer sell the illusion of Yankee supremacy globally, they at least must persuade their domestic constituency that it's still somehow "all about US". 

There is no question the Stanford "draw" was designed to walk Serena through. The only serious challenge she faced was from Kirilenko--that surprised them. They'd thought Masha would be the one contender where Serena would have to work. And we could see how Kiri caught her off-guard.

We could see because Stanford this year refused to abet the media blackout & left the in-house vidcams streaming.  Without that, they might've been tempted to on-court corruption bad as that clumsy crap we saw going on in DC. (Where Petrova won in spite of it all.)  

None of this questions the work Masha & her team know she must accomplish. But we cannot ignore the fact that after Toronto through the USO, she has to play in a poisoned atmosphere on a tilted playing-field

Do not agree with you Paul, "designed to walk Serena through " ?? and that with Maria, Maria and Liseki + Bartoli in the same half of the draw. No , I do not agree with you cause you can call this the strongest part !! I must admit that Serena was just the best of them all.

paul_pipkin
#114 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 4:14:48 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Serena is of no use to them unless she defeats Russians. Of course, she's gonna meet Masha (and others) every time. But Masha's first opponent - Dani. Serena's - Rodionova, and that's a joke.

I'm not so sure Lisicki didn't tank. She would not have rolled over for Maria, you know that.

Marion's deal was simply an injury, far as I can tell.

I cannot believe you can watch Serena play and not see how unstable she is.

CROUCHING TIGER
#115 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:36:44 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
OFF TOPIC...No, Paul, i just can't agree(already told u that in the ED-forum)that Masha should have
won those two slams. That "wind"-theory is bull and if Na Li could control those "tornados" better
then that's an even greater surplus for her. No shit about Wimbly...Masha was beaten fair & square...THE END.

Prepare for a page about that USO-draw. Think u see the shit will hit it HARD.
1)The usual "Russian" corner.
2)Shrek's wife is in my eyes the best "killer".
3)BEPA will litterary walk over "snipers".
4)Since this MUST be a Serena-win still wonder how they will place her.
5)In case of a re-match, i don't think "the wife" will bow for her...PROBLEM???

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
Valkyre
#116 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:48:13 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

^^ Is it just me that cant make any sense out what you are trying to say Crouching Tiger? Dont misunderstand me, im not being ironic, I really dont understand your point.

paul_pipkin
#117 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:29:58 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I think Tiger misunderstood me, actually. I wasn't suggesting the majors losses were invalid. Maria just flat blew it against Li Na, when she could easily have taken Schiavone the next day. At Wimbly, Kvitova was at the top of her game and Maria wasn't. For a final, the reverse was more expected. Those are Maria's issues too.

But yeah, the USO will be a flat-out joke. I won't have to convince anyone of anything there. From seeding to "draw" to scheduling, court assignments, umpires, etc, etc, etc, that's gonna be stitched up 'til hell won't have it. Hey, stuff I can't even guess at yet--when standards of decency are suspended from the top, underlings tend to go crazy with "bright ideas" (and sometimes push the fixing TOO far. Let a New York crowd believe it's rotten & they gotta REAL problem.)

Expect Masha to be targeted right alongside Vera. Tiger is correct there ARE ways to counter this. That's the responsibility not of the player but of her business agents, lawyers & backers. We will see whether those worthies get off their butts.

Yes. Clijsters is the true "wild card" in this--as much for Serena as for Masha. See what the politics dictate.

Speaking of which BTW, I'm getting the drift that it's as much Yankee as German factions engaged in pushing feeble-minded Lisicki as the "top German" & counterposing Sabine to her compatriots. Which is to say, that's purely political. I'm now finding Germans like Russians set up to self-eliminate & leave Lisicki as the last German standing. Philli & shrapi would have to speculate on what's up with that.

paul_pipkin
#118 Posted : Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:47:32 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

paul_pipkin;309378 wrote:

I think Tiger misunderstood me, actually. I wasn't suggesting the majors losses were invalid. Maria just flat blew it against Li Na, when she could easily have taken Schiavone the next day. At Wimbly, Kvitova was at the top of her game and Maria wasn't. For a final, the reverse was more expected. Those are Maria's issues too.

But yeah, the USO will be a flat-out joke. I won't have to convince anyone of anything there. From seeding to "draw" to scheduling, court assignments, umpires, etc, etc, etc, that's gonna be stitched up 'til hell won't have it. Hey, stuff I can't even guess at yet--when standards of decency are suspended from the top, underlings tend to go crazy with "bright ideas" (and sometimes push the fixing TOO far. Let a New York crowd believe it's rotten & they gotta REAL problem.)

Expect Masha to be targeted right alongside Vera. Tiger is correct there ARE ways to counter this. That's the responsibility not of the player but of her business agents, lawyers & backers. We will see whether those worthies get off their butts.

Yes. Clijsters is the true "wild card" in this--as much for Serena as for Masha. See what the politics dictate.

Speaking of which BTW, I'm getting the drift that it's as much Yankee as German factions engaged in pushing feeble-minded Lisicki as the "top German" & counterposing Sabine to her compatriots. Which is to say, that's purely political. I'm now finding Germans like Russians set up to self-eliminate & leave Lisicki as the last German standing. Philli & shrapi would have to speculate on what's up with that.

Note: See Lisicki set up to meet Vera in San Diego quarters--while other Russians AND Germans eliminate each other in another quarter... http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2011/408/MDS.pdf 

I don't wish to be discouraging, but it is what it is--the Americans must try to salvage the reputations of Serena & the clown Roddick. That is priority. The grudge against the Russians and other political pandering are a close second.

Even the interests of the actual top American players are incidentalYou notice they don't much talk about even Venus anymore? She's out there merchandising. Hell, everyone can see she wants out. Venus is only still there to prop up Serena.

CROUCHING TIGER
#119 Posted : Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:52:48 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
Sorry for that, Paul, got that phrase wrong.
Yep, i forgot about Venus. She can be VERY usefull and cover the back.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
giane
#120 Posted : Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:02:24 AM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
wasn't able to watch the game with serena. i was just zipped staring at the poorly non-progressing scores that time. how did she play? very bad?! oh.. hopefully she will make a difference at the USO.. i want what everybody wants---to see her win another GS title!