logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Stanford: Bank of the West Classic JULY 25 - 31
Brebis
#84 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:55:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)
Well, what to say ! An other big hitter , an other loss. 7 years in a row not winning from Serena says a lot. I said it after Wimbledon's lost, her serve is not getting much better anymore and that was shown during this match. In 7 years the ladies only met 9 times and Maria should be gratefull for that. It surprises me tough that it was such a quick match. Serena is still recovering from illness, right ? Maria will loose points on the ranking !!! This will hit her hard in the face. Maria, come on , keep your head up and improve your skills.
Philli
#85 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:02:58 AM(UTC)
Philli

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

Eurosport.
Williams destroys Sharapova
Sat, 30 Jul 06:34:00 2011

Serena Williams stormed into the semi-finals of the WTA event in Stanford with a straight-set dismantling of second seed Maria Sharapova.

The meeting of the two former world number ones - both recovering from injury and illness - proved to be a one-sided affair, with the American announcing her intentions early on by breaking in the first game.

Williams went on to take the first set with the loss of just a single game.

Sharapova fared little better in the second as Williams closed out a 6-1 6-3 victory in just over an hour to book a date with Sabine Lisicki for a place in the final.

What is this crap about 'Both' recovering from injury.  Maria is totally fit now.  She can't beat Serena  because she's scared of her. 

And I bet they are still the best of friends...... My Ass.   If Joyce were still her trainer he would have told her to kill the black bitch.  Richard told Serena to kick her Russian ass back to Moscow.

Brebis
#86 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:29:10 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Philli Go to Quoted Post

Eurosport.
Williams destroys Sharapova
Sat, 30 Jul 06:34:00 2011

Serena Williams stormed into the semi-finals of the WTA event in Stanford with a straight-set dismantling of second seed Maria Sharapova.

The meeting of the two former world number ones - both recovering from injury and illness - proved to be a one-sided affair, with the American announcing her intentions early on by breaking in the first game.

Williams went on to take the first set with the loss of just a single game.

Sharapova fared little better in the second as Williams closed out a 6-1 6-3 victory in just over an hour to book a date with Sabine Lisicki for a place in the final.

What is this crap about 'Both' recovering from injury.  Maria is totally fit now.  She can't beat Serena  because she's scared of her. 

And I bet they are still the best of friends...... My Ass.   If Joyce were still her trainer he would have told her to kill the black bitch.  Richard told Serena to kick her Russian ass back to Moscow.

'Respect' Philli, that's what your are missing in life !

Philli
#87 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:42:44 AM(UTC)
Philli

Rubbish, you'd be surprised how much I have been respected all my life through my various achievements. Kvitova showed how easy is was to beat Maria at Wimbledon...and she is relatively new on the scene. Serena has been around a lot longer...not an old fox..an old tired bear...but she knows as well as anybody how to take Maria's fragile game apart. She has never forgiven her for Wimbledon 2004...and she never will for as long as she keeps playing. To her, every match is a grudge match.

There's only one player who can stand up to Serena and show no fear....Kim Clijsters.
Valkyre
#88 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:01:39 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Υou guys talk as if Maria actually doesnt care or doesnt want to beat Serenna... What the hell? If there is one person in this world that wants to do that it IS Maria. Yes she has a bad run and I can understand fans frustration to some degree, but really you guys should try and realize what an athlete is sacrificing to get where he is. As a semi pro bball athlete (playing minor league) I can tell you it is hard on you when you are having a poor run versus a particular someone. It affects you it is true and it plays tricks in your head. Some people can get past that fairly quickly, others cannot so easily.

17 wins out of 20 last matches -i'll say it again- is not "bad" in my book...you make it sound like Maria is nonexistent, when the reality is that -overall- she is playing the best tennis after lots of years post injury. That is a fact. It just wasnt "there" yesterday", it didnt work, out she was off. She certainly didnt forget how to play tennis in just a day...

Also people seem to forget that this draw was a joke from the beggining and was clearly DESIGNED and intended... that says quite a lot. And all the "pep talk" and clear favoritism of the press over Serena is really disgusting.

I am not trying to say that losing yesterday was "not a big deal" it was a big deal, mostly for her, not you and me. Trust me. Bashing her wont make her work harder. She has proven that she is very tough on herself and I am sure she knows how to use this loss in a way that is going to improve her game and build her confidence, not the other way around.

1 user thanked Valkyre for this useful post.
sunstreet on 7/31/2011(UTC)
saggittarian
#89 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:17:29 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Maria did not play her best. This is what Serena would have said about herself if she had lost. I woke up very early to watch Maria play. It was so painful to watch those UEs and DFs against Serena who serves aces like nobody's business. Rather than stressing myself out, I decided to go back to bed at 0-2 in the second set. It is frustrating when she plays like that. If she was playing her best, getting first serves in, serving aces, hitting winners etc, and still lost, then I am happy to accept that Serena was a better player. Maria hardly made her run like the other players did. She lacked the fighting spirit and looked like she gave up too easily. There were not many deuces or close games.  I hope Lisicki gives Serena a run for her money.

Worst match ever since clay court season. Lots of work to be done still. Mainly consistency. Maria, you know you did not play your best. You can beat anyone when you do.

Valkyre - Most of us here are Maria's true fans. We support her through thick and thin. She has done incredibly well to be ranked no.5 within a few months. Only frustrated that she was not playing her best. Of course, we know she is hard on herself. She also knows where she needs improvement. She will never give up no matter what people say.

Valkyre
#90 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:04:29 AM(UTC)
Valkyre

Originally Posted by: saggittarian Go to Quoted Post

Valkyre - Most of us here are Maria's true fans. We support her through thick and thin. She has done incredibly well to be ranked no.5 within a few months. Only frustrated that she was not playing her best. Of course, we know she is hard on herself. She also knows where she needs improvement. She will never give up no matter what people say.

I know my friend and as I said I can understand the frustration. But I am getting a negative vibe all over this. And that doesnt mean that we should "pep talk" Maria or claim that yesterday's performance was ok. It wasnt and she knows that. But I think imho some people are overeacting with some comments. Maria is not no5 in the world by "chance". Winning Rome, going to the semis in RG and runner up in Wimbledon was not chance. It was hard work. And it paid off.

Dont forget that the injury came to a point when she was playing her best tennis. (total dominance in AO 2008 is enough proof of that) Thats hard for an athlete (and a very young one at that only 21 yrs old) and it wasnt "just another injury" it was a serious one.

But you are exactly right, she will not give up no matter what we, the press or anyone says. and thats what I totally respect about her!

Philli
#92 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:01:13 AM(UTC)
Philli

From the SE WTA Website. Excerpt of Transcript:

Playing just her third tournament back from a year out of the game due to injury and illness, she looked like the Williams of old, slamming her serves into the corners, pounding her huge groundstrokes and tracking down almost everything Sharapova hit her way. She had won their last five meetings; she made it six.

"I've just been trying my hardest and practicing and trying to get back in the Top 100," Williams, who is currently at No.169 due to the inactivity, said in her on-court interview. "I'm No.162 right now [sic]. It's a little crazy, but hopefully..."

"It's sport. You win some, you lose some. You move on," Sharapova said in her press conference. "It certainly wasn't my day today. She was serving and returning quite powerfully, and I felt I was extremely late. I didn't have my timing today at all. Even when I had chances to change things around, I didn't do it.

"Serena has come back before. She's experienced enough to come back ready to play. She waited for the right time. When she comes back, she's ready."

Williams was asked about beating a player ranked so high so early in her comeback. "Playing someone in the Top 10 or Top 5, you have to be serious. This tells me I can compete with them," she said. "I'm still climbing though. It's just one match. It's not the US Open, it's not Wimbledon, it's not a Grand Slam - but it's still a great win for the hardcourt season and it's a big event."
Imnumber2
#93 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:42:07 AM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

This is what happen when Maria does not serve well so expected result. However, I didn't expect to be this bad but a lost is a lost and hope she will learn from how to play against the best player like the Williams.

The question is can Maria and her team do anything about helping her serve? Her game is all about based on that. This is another reality check I must say.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Nazar
#91 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:16:51 AM(UTC)
Nazar

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Originally Posted by: saggittarian Go to Quoted Post

Maria did not play her best. This is what Serena would have said about herself if she had lost. I woke up very early to watch Maria play. It was so painful to watch those UEs and DFs against Serena who serves aces like nobody's business. Rather than stressing myself out, I decided to go back to bed at 0-2 in the second set. It is frustrating when she plays like that. If she was playing her best, getting first serves in, serving aces, hitting winners etc, and still lost, then I am happy to accept that Serena was a better player. Maria hardly made her run like the other players did. She lacked the fighting spirit and looked like she gave up too easily. There were not many deuces or close games.  I hope Lisicki gives Serena a run for her money.

Worst match ever since clay court season. Lots of work to be done still. Mainly consistency. Maria, you know you did not play your best. You can beat anyone when you do.

^ I am totally agree with all this, hope Masha will have revenge soon

"Optimists find good things"-Robert De Niro
<3Maria Sharapova
#94 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:37:24 AM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Really am disappointed about Maria's lost, just hope she can do better next time...

bilal 10
#95 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:41:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
OHHH
THAT IS THE BAD MATCH IN MASHA
deadchip
#96 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:34:21 AM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)

Well not much to say about this one. Maria was not even close to being at her best, but Serena did not give her anything to get it going. Serena was really on her game and Masha couldn't hit her shots at all. And her serve...... Well, off to the next tourney and hope that she doesn't draw Serena again early on. The loss to Kvitova may have affected Masha's confidence, as she didn't look all that great against Dani either. Well we know that this will just make Maria work harder. Who knows what was going on in Masha's world, but Serena did not give any quarter at all. Credit to her for getting her foot on Maria's throat early on and never taking it off for a second. This was worse that the AO 07 final loss, but a lot less people were watching this one!!!! Maria will bounce back. Serena never forgives her for beating her at Wimbly 04 or for making more advertising $ than her, due to her much more pleasant appearance. Well this certainly wrecked my weekend!!! But I'll bounce back too!!!

Back to the drawing board Maria. I still believe in you and I know you still believe in yourself too! GO MASHA!!!!

Masha is my #1!!
Brebis
#97 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:36:45 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: deadchip Go to Quoted Post

Well not much to say about this one. Maria was not even close to being at her best, but Serena did not give her anything to get it going. Serena was really on her game and Masha couldn't hit her shots at all. And her serve...... Well, off to the next tourney and hope that she doesn't draw Serena again early on. The loss to Kvitova may have affected Masha's confidence, as she didn't look all that great against Dani either. Well we know that this will just make Maria work harder. Who knows what was going on in Masha's world, but Serena did not give any quarter at all. Credit to her for getting her foot on Maria's throat early on and never taking it off for a second. This was worse that the AO 07 final loss, but a lot less people were watching this one!!!! Maria will bounce back. Serena never forgives her for beating her at Wimbly 04 or for making more advertising $ than her, due to her much more pleasant appearance. Well this certainly wrecked my weekend!!! But I'll bounce back too!!!

Back to the drawing board Maria. I still believe in you and I know you still believe in yourself too! GO MASHA!!!!

It aint get easier for Maria . Sasha gone for months to come. Playing in Istanbul with 10 hours time difference. Why on earth is he going to Turkey ?? I'm afraid he will not get used to the life style there. Brrrr. Just saw the match on Eurosport. To keep it simple : Too slow in all part of the game against so much power ? You would think Volkov is hitting hard too ??? 

Imnumber2
#98 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:01:05 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

It aint get easier for Maria . Sasha gone for months to come. Playing in Istanbul with 10 hours time difference. Why on earth is he going to Turkey ?? I'm afraid he will not get used to the life style there. Brrrr. Just saw the match on Eurosport. To keep it simple : Too slow in all part of the game against so much power ? You would think Volkov is hitting hard too ??? 

It`s all about how WELL you serve since you know how well your opponent can be! I'm certain that her confidence has dropped quite a bit after the first few games and as a result there is no surprise there!! it's just a shame for folks that are there with HIGH expectation!!!!

Valkyre
#99 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:10:05 PM(UTC)
Valkyre

^^ Why should her confidence drop? I dont understand it. Maria has won 17 out of the last 20 matches she played. She was a winner in Rome, a semi finalist in RG (her best result ever) a finalist in Wimbledon. She climbed to the no5 spot in the rankings and suddenly she loses against Serena and everything falls apart? I do not agree with that logic and I sure hope Maria isnt looking the tree (Serena) among the entire forrest (WTA Tour- or USO if you want it more specific).

She played sloppy, bad, whatever, I agree. It is frustrating I agree again. But she didnt forget how to play tennis in just a few days. If she lets this get into her and loses her confidence because of this, then that would indeed be a disaster, so no she shouldnt and mustnt let this affect her negatively. She should learn from it move on and work hard to improve. And she will.

Lots of people said Maria will never be a top player after her surgery...yet she already proved them wrong cause she is still the No5 in the world. And the tour aint finished yet.
deadchip
#100 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:08:44 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
She loses confidence because of not getting it done in the big matches of late, other than Rome. I can't seem to forget the complete collapse that was last fall, after a big loss to Wozniacki at the USO. She had been looking better all summer up until that match and that loss appeared to really hurt her. Her serve deserts her now in the big matches and in some tight spots. I still think she will eventually get over this hump, but right now I bet she is disappointed and hurting from that thrashing. I still believe in her and I'm sure she does too, but you can't help but be perturbed by yesterday's loss. I know she's had a great summer so far and I`m sure she is thankful about that, I know I am, but the loss in the Wimbly final is likely to leave a mark in her psyche, especially as a win buries all the demons and questions about winning another slam.
Masha is my #1!!
1 user thanked deadchip for this useful post.
Brebis on 7/31/2011(UTC)
Imnumber2
#102 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:41:35 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

^^ 1. Because she knows she is not serving well and hasn`t been well enough to create serious threats. Serena returns very well so it gives more pressure to any server in this case Maria. At this point, the only thing she needs to concentrate on is her moves and surely her serve. I mean she is a 6'2 and should give her an advantage but au contraire it`s so UP and DOWN. She made 18 DFs in only 2 matches.

Don`t get me wrong as I'm happy to see changes from her team and few improvements from her so far but at this point in time I have to express tough opinion towards her because I know she can do better than last night!! she can do much better as a champion ususaly should do and will do!!

Brebis
#101 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:22:50 AM(UTC)

She loses confidence because of not getting it done in the big matches of late, other than Rome. I can't seem to forget the complete collapse that was last fall, after a big loss to Wozniacki at the USO. She had been looking better all summer up until that match and that loss appeared to really hurt her. Her serve deserts her now in the big matches and in some tight spots. I still think she will eventually get over this hump, but right now I bet she is disappointed and hurting from that thrashing. I still believe in her and I'm sure she does too, but you can't help but be perturbed by yesterday's loss. I know she's had a great summer so far and I`m sure she is thankful about that, I know I am, but the loss in the Wimbly final is likely to leave a mark in her psyche, especially as a win buries all the demons and questions about winning another slam.
We have to be realistic. During RG and Wimbledon, Maria was lucky not to play many top 20 players untill she lost to them. That's a fact and therefore it is really a shame she did not win one of the two Grand Slam tournaments.

sunstreet
#103 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:40:17 AM(UTC)
sunstreet

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Ahem, why does it smell like funeral in here? This is the world of tennis, you win some you loose some. Last night i had the oppotunity to watch a recap of the match, and it wasn´t at all that bad as you guys seems to think.
The fact is, when you´re up against a heavy server like Serena, you have to be at your best, from time to time even better than that. Remember last years match between Maria and Serena, Masha was the only one in the tournament to come close to changing the outcome of that match. This was just a lousy day at the office, so why are you all of a sudden acting like she´s no right to be in the spot where she is?
Come on guys you can do better than this. We all know where Maria comes from, what makes her tick. If im not wrong Maria is pissed like hell over this loss, and she´s hungry for revenge in a way that she can taste it.
So stop this load of negativity, be positive. After all she´s scheduled to top at the us open, this is the warm up for the big one, and if i´m not wrong some people in here will be up for a surprice.
So show some trust, i´ve never doubted Marias ability to win a tournament, i´ve never underestimated the amount of hard work and stamina she puts into her career. And i´ve never underestimated her craving for a lot of big wins in the future.
So come on guys, show some support, she deserves it.
Maybe some of you think that if you lose one match you´re a looser, which is total bullshit.
I for one will still set the alarm clock and get up at 5 o´clock in the morning to see Maria play a match.
And this is because she has inspired me more than most people, let alone women, has ever done.

So get a grip, and get over yourself, come 10 days there´s another tournament, another draw, a new match to play.

So go Maria. ,-)
2 users thanked sunstreet for this useful post.
Freedom23 on 7/31/2011(UTC), Valkyre on 7/31/2011(UTC)