logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<15161718>
WIMBLEDON 2011
valengali
#324 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 11:03:13 AM(UTC)
valengali

Groups: BasicUsers

it was not to lose, she is the best but that's all I know she's going to win us open
I trust sharapova, nothing is impossible for her
sharapova am with you

deadchip
#325 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 11:32:42 AM(UTC)
deadchip

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)

OK Maria lost! Pretty big bummer, but hopefully this loss doesn't hurt all the good that has happened of late. Hold your head high Masha darling, you are in the top 5 again! Life is good. Take a little break with Sasha and then back to the grindstone for the USO section of the tour. Points to defend and another shot at a major coming your way soon enough! I think this draw was too easy and she never got pushed much and so never really honed her game up to it's top fighting form. Great match by Petra, she didn't waiver and got it done.
KEEP YOUR CHIN UP MASHA! WE ALL STILL BELIEVE!

Masha is my #1!!
paul_pipkin
#326 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 12:15:24 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

Congrats to Petra.  Now, you just watch how LITTLE traction she gets with the Western sportspress. Kvitova was born & lives in the Moravian region--well the other side of the invisible 15° E longitude line that separates the "real people" from those legions of boring "Eastern European" women the Brit press wails about (and who, to Yanks, are nothing but dubious tools in their demented vendetta against Russia.)

Maria needs to begin preparation for the Olympiad. Remember, Dementieva focused on the Gold for the full year preceding. If she takes RG or Wimbly or both, so much the better. But I gotta tell you: USTA has all but said outright thery're gonna totally stitch up the USO to guarantee a Williams victory. You can't overstate the importance of such foo-foo domestically in the era of failing Amerikaan power. Where they can't project it, they must secure homefolks' illusions that "everything is all about US."

So I'm doubting the chance of USO & you will neverf again see a clean AO long as the criminal Craig Tiley is in charge. Tainted though they've become, Wimbledon & Roland Garros are still possible. But focus on what is REALLY IMPORTANT in 2012--another Russian blonde wearing the Gold Medal! 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Alexandre
#327 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 12:50:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
First, congratulations my dear Masha for this wonderful tournament !! What a pity you didn't win today, you deserved it so much, u r the Best!! Unfortunately, it was Kvitova's moment today ... she had all the luck, succeeded in all her shots even the most desparate, you did your best (everybody can tell) but it was not enough. Kivotva had an appointment with her destiny today, and you can't do anything against that!! Don't be dispointed Masha, keep focused!! All my love and support from your greatest fan.
shyra asis
#328 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 2:46:28 PM(UTC)
shyra asis

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)

simply, Kvitova was just the better player... made every point count, i wouldn't even bother mentioning the deep heavy returns.

with the Wimbly finals... Maria gave us something to look forward in the coming tourneys and ofcourse the US open...

it was such a disappointment being so close to the title, but it seems that Maria needs more improvement.

quite happy for the result. it's a start of a new phase of Maria's tennis. 

“I think I learn a lot from losses and they make me a lot tougher,”-Maria Sharapova

Imnumber2
#329 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 3:50:47 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

sooo close!! :(

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Baris1989
#330 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 4:02:28 PM(UTC)
Baris1989

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)

I really felt like this was Maria's year at Wimby. Seemed like her normal killer instinct was missing and she got stung by Kvitova's forehand too often. Very disappointed :(

Brebis
#331 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 4:23:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)
At the birthday party I attended this evening, I felt horrible. To me this was her last / only chance to win an other GS and Maria knew that too. Too nervous obviously. The serve is not going to get any better , she has trained on that in the last 3 years. The power in the shoulder is not coming back anymore. Kim , Venus, Serena will be back too in NY. No , sorry all , this was the day and it's all over !!!!!!I need time to get over this.
paul_pipkin
#332 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 4:41:53 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Brebis;308847 wrote:
At the birthday party I attended this evening, I felt horrible. To me this was her last / only chance to win an other GS and Maria knew that too. Too nervous obviously. The serve is not going to get any better , she has trained on that in the last 3 years. The power in the shoulder is not coming back anymore. Kim , Venus, Serena will be back too in NY. No , sorry all , this was the day and it's all over !!!!!!I need time to get over this.

Yeah, get over it, 'cause you are drifting into paranoid delusion.

1) Masha is not quitting anytime soon & both she and Sasha testify to that. At the very least, you know she'll be at the London Olympiad for Russia. Plenty of majors ahead.

2) My boy just called me from the Left Coast, relaying a provocative body of rumor that Serena is finished. 

One will see.

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 7/3/2011(UTC)
Dartagnan
#334 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 6:58:59 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

paul_pipkin;308848 wrote:

Brebis;308847 wrote:

1) Masha is not quitting anytime soon & both she and Sasha testify to that. At the very least, you know she'll be at the London Olympiad for Russia. Plenty of majors ahead.

2) My boy just called me from the Left Coast, relaying a provocative body of rumor that Serena is finished. 

One will see.

1) Brebis, you should know that the serve is not the more important thing in tennis, you have also to play good tennis with good balls in corners. I think Masha's opponent showed it today. 

2)If Nadal were Masha's boyfriend, she would win this grand slam today. because Nadal is an excellent example. 

3) Masha will have many chances in other tournaments to win a grand slam. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

<3Maria Sharapova
#335 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:17:14 PM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Can't believe that Maria lost and Petra Kvitova won! Arhhh!!!
<3Maria Sharapova
#336 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 8:08:54 PM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
And you guys should visit the section called 'Photo' on Maria's official site, go and look at those photos, in the category 'Wimbledon 2011', the last photo, Maria was holding the second place trophy with some kind of sadness. She was about to cry!
Brebis
#333 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2011 2:18:45 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 216 post(s)

paul_pipkin;308848 wrote:

Brebis;308847 wrote:

One will see.

Paranoid ???  No Paul, you call this realistic !  Serena finished , that is definately a rumor. Remember, the Olympics are next year. Her father will make her to be there.

Philli
#337 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2011 2:33:51 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Make no mistake, Maria is devastated by this loss. Didn't she say earlier this week that winning this one meant more to her than all the others? How's that for a kick in the ass.

But let me say this, Petra did not play great to beat Maria....she played intelligently and, like Na Li, tuned her game to meet the requirements. She shut out Maria, systematically exposing all her weaknesses and dismantling her game. Not once did Maria ever look like she had a chance to win this....no set point, no match point... she just struggled all the way through to get the points that she made.

See, this is what happens when a slogger meets someone who can play tennis. Maria's run to the Final was the easiest of all, she never had to take on any tough players. Petra worked hard to make it, and she deserved the win. I said it 3 weeks ago that there would be a new name on the trophy this year, and I was right.

Maria may only be 24, but she is old for today's tennis. The game has changed over the years and, although she is now fitter thanks to Thomas, her game is still the same, but the players have changed...they are smarter now.

Paul seems to think that the US Open is already stitched up. I tend to agree with him in that I dont think Kim will win it again this year. She seems to have 'lost her way' a little...and to be honest, she really has nothing to prove anymore. She made her point in 2009 when she made her fabulous comeback, putting Maria firmly in the shade, and again in 2010. She doesn't need to prove a thing now.
1 user thanked Philli for this useful post.
CROUCHING TIGER on 7/13/2011(UTC)
Dartagnan
#338 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2011 9:36:44 AM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Philli;308857 wrote:
Make no mistake, Maria is devastated by this loss. Didn't she say earlier this week that winning this one meant more to her than all the others? How's that for a kick in the ass.

This loss is nothing in Maria Sharapova tennis career, we just noticed that she played better than the last year, it is the important point. 

But let me say this, Petra did not play great to beat Maria....she played intelligently and, like Na Li, tuned her game to meet the requirements. She shut out Maria, systematically exposing all her weaknesses and dismantling her game. Not once did Maria ever look like she had a chance to win this....no set point, no match point... she just struggled all the way through to get the points that she made.

Maria Sharapova needs diversity in her tennis, she needs to use different strategies in a tennis match. 

See, this is what happens when a slogger meets someone who can play tennis. Maria's run to the Final was the easiest of all, she never had to take on any tough players. Petra worked hard to make it, and she deserved the win. I said it 3 weeks ago that there would be a new name on the trophy this year, and I was right.

I have noticed in other tournaments such as the Roma Open, Maria Sharapova had played a better tennis against her opponents. 

Maria may only be 24, but she is old for today's tennis. The game has changed over the years and, although she is now fitter thanks to Thomas, her game is still the same, but the players have changed...they are smarter now.

Maria Sharapova is not old at all, she has the golden age, at this age tennis players can have great results because they have a good tennis experience, but they have to be ready physically and use different strategies in a match to beat their opponents. 

Paul seems to think that the US Open is already stitched up. I tend to agree with him in that I dont think Kim will win it again this year. She seems to have 'lost her way' a little...and to be honest, she really has nothing to prove anymore. She made her point in 2009 when she made her fabulous comeback, putting Maria firmly in the shade, and again in 2010. She doesn't need to prove a thing now.

Maria Sharapova has a chance to win the US open if she plays a good tennis and use the right strategies, her game also needs diversity. 

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

paul_pipkin
#339 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2011 10:06:40 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Dartagnan;308864 wrote:

Philli;308857 wrote:

This loss is nothing in Maria Sharapova tennis career, we just noticed that she played better than the last year, it is the important point. 

Maria Sharapova needs diversity in her tennis, she needs to use different strategies in a tennis match. 

I have noticed in other tournaments such as the Roma Open, Maria Sharapova had played a better tennis against her opponents. 

Maria Sharapova is not old at all, she has the golden age, at this age tennis players can have great results because they have a good tennis experience, but they have to be ready physically and use different strategies in a match to beat their opponents. 

Maria Sharapova has a chance to win the US open if she plays a good tennis and use the right strategies, her game also needs diversity. 

On a couple of points: Women's tennis SHOULD at this time be a teenager's game. BUT, because the bulk of rising youth are EASTERN, the rules and their application are mechaniced to suppress them. Also to keep a couple of old American broads "on top". lol

USO: There is a chance for anything to happen. The English provided the sisters with a cake-walk draw but they still couldn't cut it. However, the mood in USTA is such that I don't think they'll stop with a designed draw. You are gonna see corruption in the chair, sabotaged equipment, phantom "calls" from the crowd, "spontaneous" cheerleaders screaming bloody murder during non-"preferred" players' serves, officials saying nothing & press ignoring & denying every infraction. In short, ALL the dirty tricks we've observed over the last year.

That said, I'm not necessarily predicting corruption throughout the USO Series. Some, yeah, but Stanford & maybe another tournament MAY hold themselves above the sewer. Not everyone, not even all Americans, are so stupid as to not recognize this rot will have a reckoning.

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Dartagnan on 7/3/2011(UTC)
pras1904
#344 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2011 11:02:25 AM(UTC)

hi pova,

You didn't played as you play. your serves were excellent but luck didn't favoured you.you should have make your opponent move on the court but you were lack of it. the biggest thing is you reached final which proves that your presence in the tennis is still on. you are not too old you have still more tournaments ahead to win.

Though you lost still celebrate as this will keep you happy and inspire you ahead to compete. As in your 1st wimbledon win i don't know about others but your father has become a fan of yours. So no need to be upset you have a biggest fan at your home itself. You have done a lot for yourself, your family and still doing your best.

I hope you will keep the same spirit to win in the coming tournaments. keep smiling as lose or win doesn't matter to those who fight back the odds in life. However how were the children;s interview with you tough questions made your mind blank or stunned.

Best wishes for your coming matches,

Shreeprasad Shetty
ARMANDOGABRIELBV
#345 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2011 5:40:17 PM(UTC)
ARMANDOGABRIELBV

Of course It's not a defeat...

It's just her new beginning...

her injure didnt let her to show her talent, and now she is 100%  and ready to conquer new tournaments and surely she will get some grand slam again...

Good luck, MAria !!!

You're number one

echozera
#346 Posted : Monday, July 04, 2011 3:08:28 AM(UTC)
echozera

i still believe in you masha....

Mind your own business.Save your own soul
M-Lover
#340 Posted : Monday, July 04, 2011 4:15:52 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Nobody has mentioned the similarity between RG and Wimbledon. In both cases, Maria was the favorite, not to say the super favorite. Li Na and Kvit were pretty unknown in Grand Slams. Li had played the AO final earlier this year and Kvit the semis at Wimbledon last year but who could have predicted them to outplay Maria? Every journalist wrote Maria would play the final in Paris and could win over Schiavone. For Wimbly, everyone already saw Maria lift the trophy. Actually Maria was dominated by both Li and Kvit and lost in straight sets.

None of these two players are superior to Maria. They don't have Maria's experience. But they played very smart. Not a great tennis, but a clever tennis to exploit the opponent's weaknesses.

For me this is a very big disapointment. For any random player, playing the semis at RG and the final at Wimbledon would be a big achievement. Even Wozniacki would have loved to get to that. But Maria is NOT a random player. Now I am wondering about her chances to win a GS in a future. She improved a lot since her coming back from injury. Is it enought to win another GS?

One of her problems (there are many) is her serve. Actually she doesn't have the same powerful and accurate serve she had before the shrould injury. Someone in this forum said earlier that serves are not that important. I disagree. Big serve is not the only thing a champion needs. Every champion has a big serve. Maria won three GS thanks partly to her serve. In modern tennis, a big serve is necessary to win the games, especially for female players because they are supposed not to serve well. Look at the men; they all have big serves. Kvitova serves great too, even her second serve is good to distabilize Maria.

Many mention again and again the shoulder injury to justify the defeat. Well the injury is 3 years ago. She didn't come back yesterday either. So we have to look at other reasons.

I always think the future of female tennis is not only in hard hitting. Big hitters like Azarenka or Wozniacki can go far, but it's not enough to win a GS. Playing clever is quite essential to become a true champion. Kvit's coach, Kotyza, said during a post-match interview "Her [Kvit] brain is a big advantage for this game.". He's not wrong.

Now what can we advise Maria's staff? Improve more and more her serve as she already did a lot, work on her fitness (Philli would say her stamina), adapt her game to the new generation of players, and of course play more with her head as well as her arms.

1 user thanked M-Lover for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 7/4/2011(UTC)