logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Grunting
alexaii
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:55:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Please stop with the grunting, Maria. Can't imagine why anyone does that in the first place...It's disturbing and ridiculous! And also... do yourself this favor..if you're grunting in the bedroom, STOP! That's one sure way to get on a person's nerves and end a relationship. Thank you

irvino
#2 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 1:02:02 AM(UTC)
irvino

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)

If Maria was grunting in MY bedroom, I don't think it would end the relationship!

edpearcy
#3 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 9:58:25 AM(UTC)

Get over it man.  You aren't a true fan if you don't love the passion she puts into her game.  Including her grunting.  Hope she wins tomorrow!

robb
#4 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 10:03:46 AM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: alexaii Go to Quoted Post

Please stop with the grunting, Maria. Can't imagine why anyone does that in the first place...It's disturbing and ridiculous! And also... do yourself this favor..if you're grunting in the bedroom, STOP! That's one sure way to get on a person's nerves and end a relationship. Thank you

Seriously......I don't like the screaming either, it is unnecessary and distracting. Not that Maria is alone in doing this....Azarenka even adds a 'ball in flight' scream to her noise! Not to mention Venus's banshee wailing.  It started way back in the 70's with Jimmy Connors (Nastase used to immitate him!), and then on to players like Tracey Austin and Monica Seles. That is no excuse for the current excesses, however. Once this Wimbledon is over, I think the LTA should take a lead and clamp down on it. There are ways and means to do just that......to be  discussed at a later date, maybe!

I think Maria's screams actually alienate a lot of people who would otherwise support her. And the red top press are totally negative towards her.....in fact if the final had been between Maria and Azarenka, The Mirror and The Sun would have issued everyone on Centre Court with free ear protectors!!

Baris1989
#5 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2011 4:32:27 PM(UTC)
Baris1989

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)

It doesn't bother me At least her and Vika do it all the time unlike the Williams who do it when they are struggling. If people find it so horrendous then they'll either not watch or i suggest they go buy some ear plugs.

marie1377
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 3:51:56 AM(UTC)
marie1377

it doesnt matters to me,and it wont end a relationship!

PodgeMcQ
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 4:54:18 AM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Baris1989 Go to Quoted Post

It doesn't bother me At least her and Vika do it all the time unlike the Williams who do it when they are struggling. If people find it so horrendous then they'll either not watch or i suggest they go buy some ear plugs.

I hate when articles talk about wearing ear-plugs to Maria's matches they exaggerate it way too much. I find Maria's grunting quite soothing (if thats possible) tbh 

<3Maria Sharapova
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:04:25 AM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
If you really idolize or love someone, you gotta endure him or her for everything!
Moreover, grunting is not supposed to be some kind of big deal! I do that a lot when I play basketball though I'm a boy!
Just hope something old will happen tmr. Maria gotta be the champion!
SuzieM19
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 3:33:09 PM(UTC)

this is a discussion that comes up in the media at every grand slam and it gets more irritating every time. if people dont want to hear players grunting then they can choose not to watch when that player is playing, and the people who find it distracting in my opinion have a very short attention span, when the tennis is of good quality, the player grunting should be the last thing you notice.
Baris1989
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 02, 2011 3:52:26 PM(UTC)
Baris1989

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)

@Podge, same here. The media always come out with some grunt-o-meter rubbish, saying she's louder than some sort of helicopter  So tedious.

I also agree with Suzie's post, so true

robb
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:25:42 AM(UTC)
robb

Originally Posted by: SuzieM19 Go to Quoted Post
this is a discussion that comes up in the media at every grand slam and it gets more irritating every time. if people dont want to hear players grunting then they can choose not to watch when that player is playing, and the people who find it distracting in my opinion have a very short attention span, when the tennis is of good quality, the player grunting should be the last thing you notice.

Fact is that the screaming and grunting issue is growing bigger each year. It is the one thing I am NOT keen on about Maria. There, I've said it.  However yesteday I actually stuck up for her in an email exchange with Mike Walters from the Daily Mirror. He virtually accused her (and azarenka) of cheating by putting the opponent off. I said to him that he had conveniently ignored the other players (including the Williams sisters, Connors and McEnroe) who have screamed and grunted their way to the top over the years.

He came back to me by saying he did not excuse these players either......just chose not to have a go at THEM!! He then said that Maria didn't scream when she won the Wimbledon crown in 2004....IS THIS TRUE?? I can't remember.......

ANYWAYS, AND YOU WON'T LIKE THIS.....The solution would appear to be to deduct points/games/sets from players who go over an agreed normal 'decibel count'. And TBH, I'd have no problem with that. And does this screaming really help MARIA? I notice she doesn't do it in practice.......

paul_pipkin
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:19:39 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)

Originally Posted by: robb Go to Quoted Post

Fact is that the screaming and grunting issue is growing bigger each year. It is the one thing I am NOT keen on about Maria. There, I've said it.  However yesteday I actually stuck up for her in an email exchange with Mike Walters from the Daily Mirror. He virtually accused her (and azarenka) of cheating by putting the opponent off. I said to him that he had conveniently ignored the other players (including the Williams sisters, Connors and McEnroe) who have screamed and grunted their way to the top over the years.

He came back to me by saying he did not excuse these players either......just chose not to have a go at THEM!! He then said that Maria didn't scream when she won the Wimbledon crown in 2004....IS THIS TRUE?? I can't remember.......

ANYWAYS, AND YOU WON'T LIKE THIS.....The solution would appear to be to deduct points/games/sets from players who go over an agreed normal 'decibel count'. And TBH, I'd have no problem with that. And does this screaming really help MARIA? I notice she doesn't do it in practice.......

Hi robb. The problem is that the question CANNOT be discussed on any inherent merits. Sounds like Walters is at least honest enough to state openly at whom he directs his AGENDA.

The fact is: Noise only becomes an "is-sue" when Anglo-American-Aussie mouthpieces attack Russian & other Eastern players. Apparently the voices of girls who from the other side of 15° E are particularly offensive--as I'm sure they are for the panderers to Whitehall & State:ninja: 

Well, I say these worthies should show the courage of their convictions. Go ahead and throw down. Drive the Eastern stars from the sport.  As there is no longer any such thing as a level playing field in the West anyway, it's high damned time for a Eurasian Slam, an East Asian Slam and a SEPARATE TOUR.

Russia & Eastern Europe have the champions & China has the media resources to take it to the globe without Western "mediation".

This is probably not the proverbial "final straw", but the girls should basically just flip 'em off. Tell 'em hey, you want some shit, you got it!

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Freedom23
#14 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:46:11 AM(UTC)
Freedom23

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)

I don't understand about the fuss with Maria's grunting. Tennis players play matches with only 90 second breaks in their matches and are constantly running around and putting their most effort into every shot they play. Therefore, we should leave the grunters alone. Also, to totally isolate Maria and act as if she is some villain who is the only one that grunts is unfair. The Williams' do it, Vika does it, and MEN do it. I'm sure if the men had high voices and grunted, they would grunt as high and loud as Masha. (Have you heard Nadal grunt?) Last thing, you would think they would enforce a rule about grunting when Monica was playing, and not wait a few decades until Masha came into the picture to whine and complain about grunting. And I hate when people are like, "Well, Fed doesn't grunt!" Yeah, so? He doesn't represent all of the tennis players.

Even though I am fine with grunting ( I don't want to sound hypocritcal ) Vika's grunt is so unnatural. At least Maria's sounds natural and it varies, it doesn't sound the same way constantly, like an owl.

ANYWAYS..... (sorry about that novel) I hope Maria continues to improve and wins some titles during the US Open Series!

Integrity is the best policy.

robb
#12 Posted : Friday, July 08, 2011 10:47:23 AM(UTC)
robb

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: robb Go to Quoted Post

Hi robb. The problem is that the question CANNOT be discussed on any inherent merits. Sounds like Walters is at least honest enough to state openly at whom he directs his AGENDA.

The fact is: Noise only becomes an "is-sue" when Anglo-American-Aussie mouthpieces attack Russian & other Eastern players. Apparently the voices of girls who from the other side of 15° E are particularly offensive--as I'm sure they are for the panderers to Whitehall & State:ninja: 

Well, I say these worthies should show the courage of their convictions. Go ahead and throw down. Drive the Eastern stars from the sport.  As there is no longer any such thing as a level playing field in the West anyway, it's high damned time for a Eurasian Slam, an East Asian Slam and a SEPARATE TOUR.

Russia & Eastern Europe have the champions & China has the media resources to take it to the globe without Western "mediation".

This is probably not the proverbial "final straw", but the girls should basically just flip 'em off. Tell 'em hey, you want some shit, you got it!

Hi Paul. True, there does seem a media bias agaianst the Eastern Europeans. The Mirror described MARIA KIRILENKO as an 'identikit Russian' after her defeat by Serena. And Walters suggested to me that Maria's screaming had lost her support. I did mention to him the fact that she has 5 million facebook fans, but he didn't come back to me on that!

However, this does not address the screaming 'issue', whoever may be do the screaming. I feel that it needs sorting. Just my opinion.

1 user thanked robb for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 7/8/2011(UTC)