logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<7891011>»
WIMBLEDON 2011
saggittarian
#164 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 2:33:56 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 252

Thanks: 44 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Ha! Maria said she gets good vibes on court 2 in her interview so they arranged it for her! Hope she is right and will win easily.

Brebis
#165 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 3:25:52 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,010

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)
Her match was not very convincing today. She really needs to step it up now as the more difficult matches are on the way. Tomorrow playing on well known grave yard ( Court 2 ). Maria, let's show here who is the best of the 2 of you !! The weather is getting warmer, let's hope it will help her shoulder.
paul_pipkin
#166 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 4:12:19 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,623

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

Brebis;308564 wrote:
Her match was not very convincing today. She really needs to step it up now as the more difficult matches are on the way. Tomorrow playing on well known grave yard ( Court 2 ). Maria, let's show here who is the best of the 2 of you !! The weather is getting warmer, let's hope it will help her shoulder.


Clarification: new Court 2 is not the "graveyard". Old court 2, the "graveyard of champions" is NOW new Court 3. New Court 2 is the other new stadium court farther on down.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Brebis on 6/25/2011(UTC)
katmilr
#170 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 5:17:57 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 689

Thanks: 42 times
Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Maria was amazing.
Good luck tomorrow! We are getting closer to the Venus Rosewater Dish :)
liliu_wrj@yahoo.com.br
#171 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 5:44:49 PM(UTC)
liliu_wrj@yahoo.com.br

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 170

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Maria hadn't a good start today, but she showed her fight spirit and came back on the match, Robson played a great match too. I know that she can play better but in anyway I'm proud of Maria. Wish her the best tomorrow! Go Maria.

Victoria Azarenka vs. Daniela Hantuchova was a really good match to watch, both played solid but Victoria were more intense. I also liked Caroline's performance today. The surprise of the day was the Vera's defeat.
ShelbyK
#172 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 6:08:02 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 120

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Good luck to Maria tommorrow. I wish these matches weren't so early!!!!

Mister Sharapova
#173 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 7:15:28 PM(UTC)
Mister Sharapova

Rank: Newbie

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 4

Davaï Masha. We all believe in you (:
It's great to see her in such good shape.. she's a real champion!

clyde_aya@yahoo.com
#174 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2011 9:18:40 PM(UTC)
clyde_aya@yahoo.com

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 335

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I was hoping her serve will be more effective this time. SHe lose her confidence when she's not serving in high percentages. 


Not mentioning when she was double faulting in the 1st set, she just struck a 66 mph FIRST serve into the net. She lost a little bit of confidence. But at the second set, her serve was booming, and so as her game.


 


So the key in her next match is whether she'll serve good or not.

Brebis
#167 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:11:37 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,010

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

paul_pipkin;308567 wrote:


Brebis;308564 wrote:
Her match was not very convincing today. She really needs to step it up now as the more difficult matches are on the way. Tomorrow playing on well known grave yard ( Court 2 ). Maria, let's show here who is the best of the 2 of you !! The weather is getting warmer, let's hope it will help her shoulder.


Clarification: new Court 2 is not the "graveyard". Old court 2, the "graveyard of champions" is NOW new Court 3. New Court 2 is the other new stadium court farther on down.


Hi Paul, Didn't know that sorry . I tought court 2 = court 2 ! By the way; Who was sitting next to Hogstadt in the box yesterday ? Have never seen that face in Maria's team.

paul_pipkin
#168 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:00:17 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,623

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

Brebis;308576 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308567 wrote:


Brebis;308564 wrote:
Her match was not very convincing today. She really needs to step it up now as the more difficult matches are on the way. Tomorrow playing on well known grave yard ( Court 2 ). Maria, let's show here who is the best of the 2 of you !! The weather is getting warmer, let's hope it will help her shoulder.


Clarification: new Court 2 is not the "graveyard". Old court 2, the "graveyard of champions" is NOW new Court 3. New Court 2 is the other new stadium court farther on down.


Hi Paul, Didn't know that sorry . I tought court 2 = court 2 ! By the way; Who was sitting next to Hogstadt in the box yesterday ? Have never seen that face in Maria's team.



Da, most interesting.  ESPN2 ref "hitting partner", "former player", "Volchov". Now, I'm not 100% sure, but he may be Alexander Volkov--friend & former coach of Marat, associated with Moscow Spartak, Shamil, etc. First time to note a distinct Moscow presence in the entourage.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
saggittarian
#175 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:12:39 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 252

Thanks: 44 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Maria played better today in terms of DFs and UEs but she really needs to step up next week.


Well done, Maria on your win.


On a different note, they just showed Bartoli sending her dad off the stands. She started winning after that.

paul_pipkin
#176 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:27:04 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,623

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

To Walter's credit, he packed up & left. Knows when he needs to get outta there. These two got a good thing going on. I believe Marion can break Serena on Monday. 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
saggittarian
#177 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:44:01 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 252

Thanks: 44 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

paul_pipkin;308579 wrote:


To Walter's credit, he packed up & left. Knows when he needs to get outta there. These two got a good thing going on. I believe Marion can break Serena on Monday. 



Me too, Paul. Serena hasn't had any real challenge yet and I believe Bartoli will give her a heart attack. She always looks so unfit huffing and puffing. So many top seeds have gone out this year!! Serena and Venus don't count as their seeding is unreal. How come players like Schiavone, Vera, Na Li, are out and the Williams sisters who haven't played for nearly a year are still in? Is it the luck of the draw or what??? I hope Venus gets rid of that outfit next week. Jeez....no account for taste.


Maria has a day to practise those serves. Tomorrow is a good day for practise, plenty of sunshine.

M-Lover
#178 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:05:38 PM(UTC)
M-Lover

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 142

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

saggittarian;308580 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308579 wrote:


To Walter's credit, he packed up & left. Knows when he needs to get outta there. These two got a good thing going on. I believe Marion can break Serena on Monday. 



Me too, Paul. Serena hasn't had any real challenge yet and I believe Bartoli will give her a heart attack. She always looks so unfit huffing and puffing. So many top seeds have gone out this year!! Serena and Venus don't count as their seeding is unreal. How come players like Schiavone, Vera, Na Li, are out and the Williams sisters who haven't played for nearly a year are still in? Is it the luck of the draw or what??? I hope Venus gets rid of that outfit next week. Jeez....no account for taste.


Maria has a day to practise those serves. Tomorrow is a good day for practise, plenty of sunshine.



Nope. It's no luck. It's many-year experience, it's what a real champion possesses. That makes the difference between the sisters and players like Na Li, Schiavone or Zvonareva, Stosur and the rest of the players. Not that I'm the sisters' fan but I have to give them credit on this. No matter how fit they are, they still find the way to defeat their opponents. I'm not saying the sisters will win Wimbledon - I think they won't- but I guess they will go far, like in the semi, at least one of them.


I know Bartoli is a rising star since Roland Garros and grass is her favorite surface, but I won't bet my 2 cents on her. She has a chance to stop Serena and Serena has a chance to get past Bartoli. Let's wait and see.

paul_pipkin
#179 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:29:16 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,623

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

M-Lover;308581 wrote:


saggittarian;308580 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308579 wrote:


To Walter's credit, he packed up & left. Knows when he needs to get outta there. These two got a good thing going on. I believe Marion can break Serena on Monday. 



Me too, Paul. Serena hasn't had any real challenge yet and I believe Bartoli will give her a heart attack. She always looks so unfit huffing and puffing. So many top seeds have gone out this year!! Serena and Venus don't count as their seeding is unreal. How come players like Schiavone, Vera, Na Li, are out and the Williams sisters who haven't played for nearly a year are still in? Is it the luck of the draw or what??? I hope Venus gets rid of that outfit next week. Jeez....no account for taste.


Maria has a day to practise those serves. Tomorrow is a good day for practise, plenty of sunshine.



Nope. It's no luck. It's many-year experience, it's what a real champion possesses. That makes the difference between the sisters and players like Na Li, Schiavone or Zvonareva, Stosur and the rest of the players. Not that I'm the sisters' fan but I have to give them credit on this. No matter how fit they are, they still find the way to defeat their opponents. I'm not saying the sisters will win Wimbledon - I think they won't- but I guess they will go far, like in the semi.


I know Bartoli is a rising star since Roland Garros and grass is her favorite surface, but I won't bet my 2 cents on her. She has a chance to stop Serena and Serena has a chance to get past Bartoli. Let's wait and see.



Okay, but bring it up to date. "What a champion possesses", if applied to the sisters today, also includes:


Suspension of all play rules for them alone; allow then to play only majors with NO consequence; give them only Centre Court--which USTA has apparently already agreed to re the USO!


Design cake-walk draws to allow them to "play their way in", ie, show up hung-over & outta form. In the process, design the draw to self-eliminate their most serious competition.


Seat a "pet" umpire in the chair as often as possible to provide favorable calls in tight situations. Allow for corrupt tournament officials to intervene directly in their matches if they get in real trouble, like with "creative" heat-rule applications.


Go figure, y'all: Your sport has already been turned into an ugly joke to accommodate these women--to maintain the illusion of Yankee prowess at a sport where the Americans generally are no longer worth a hot damn!


How long will we ignore all this & pretend we're seeing great achievement from these clowns?

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Imnumber2
#180 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:31:42 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 6,240

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

It'd be terrible if the Williams win this year!! Terrible, really. The reality is they have won many GSs because they were very strong physically and mentally. But I'm not their fan at all, au contraire. I mean Serena is HUGE..!! 


Not a whole lot of players can beat them consistently. 


Back to Maria, She needs to play her best to beat Peng. Peng is a another smart chinese player who does not hit big but can trouble her opponent tactically.


But I still believe in Maria!!

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
shyra asis
#182 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:17:38 PM(UTC)
shyra asis

Rank: Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 5/16/2011(UTC)
Posts: 24

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
the 21 errors... the lack of foot work... is very much disturbing! but the last 2 or 3 games was very impressive, with the big 1st serve and heavy ground strokes...

with Peng, it's definitely not an easy 4th round.

I'm feeling quite confident... Maria will be back in the quarters.
“I think I learn a lot from losses and they make me a lot tougher,”-Maria Sharapova

ShelbyK
#181 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:35:48 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 120

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Imnumber2;308583 wrote:


It'd be terrible if the Williams win this year!! Terrible, really. The reality is they have won many GSs because they were very strong physically and mentally. But I'm not their fan at all, au contraire. I mean Serena is HUGE..!! 


Not a whole lot of players can beat them consistently. 


Back to Maria, She needs to play her best to beat Peng. Peng is a another smart chinese player who does not hit big but can trouble her opponent tactically.


But I still believe in Maria!!



haahahaha! i agree, Serena is huge. in fact she scares me a bit. If she wins this year i might lay in the road.  

paul_pipkin
#183 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:11:21 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,623

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

WERE the sisters great? Sure they were--and remember, they had NOTHING to do with what we laughingly call the American "player development system". lol But ARE they great? Why then does the tennis establishment have to constantly cheat & prop them up to help keep them "on top"?  


Peng Shuai: Absolutely she's a threat. Most Chinese players are. They're a different mentality not easily read or victimized by psychobabble. Least of all by idiot commentators.


Round of 16


C.WOZNIACKI [1] v D.CIBULKOVA [24]


PENG S. [20] v M.SHARAPOVA [5]


 


S.LISICKI v P.CETKOVSKA


M.BARTOLI [9] v S.WILLIAMS [7]


 


 


T.PASZEK v K.PERVAK


N.PETROVA v V.AZARENKA [4] (This quarter wraps up All England's "Final Solution of the Rus Problem".)


 


P.KVITOVA [8] v Y.WICKMAYER [19]


V.WILLIAMS [23] v T.PIRONKOVA [32]

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
saggittarian
#185 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:53:09 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 252

Thanks: 44 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Hey! It's rude to call someone huge! . Anyway, huge or not, she won't get pass the semis. Who beat her at Eastbourne? Is she still around??


To beat Peng, Maria must get her first serves in. The reason she lost to Na Li at RG was her sevice game let her down big time. She should have learnt from that and not repeat the same mistakes with her second serves.

Users browsing this topic
Guest
18 Pages«<7891011>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.