logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Maria Sharapova a US citizen?
M-Lover
#1 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 8:52:35 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Nike's 'Make Yourself Girl Power' Campaign is on the front page of her Website. Curiously, Maria and Li Na feature on the same pics. It's funny. I think it's a premiere. The pics were shot before Roland Garros, before their semifinals faceoff. Looks like Nike wanted so much to have them fight against each other. Way to do their ad.

Anyway, the campaign also shows an unusual athletic Sharapova. Do they want to tell us that Maria is no more that beautiful but anorexic fashion model, but a real athlete? Maybe they read Philli's posts on this forum and want to assure fans that Maria is very fit, that she has strength and stamina to fight against anyone else? Alright, I saw her muscles and I'm assured.

You guys can see her hard abs in the following pic along with an article by Jessica Satherley from dailymail.co.uk. One thing bothers me. Jessica talks about Maria as "also an American citizen".. WTF? Is there something new we don't know about yet?

Muscles to rival Nadal! Maria Sharapova shows off her washboard abs in tiny sports bra

By JESSICA SATHERLEY

She’s a former world No. 1 in her sport but Maria Sharapova proved in her new Nike campaign that she’s not bad at modelling either.

The Russian tennis player showed off her rock hard abs and bulging biceps while she was being photographed by Annie Leibovitz.

The stunning 24-year-old, who is also an American citizen, posed in tiny blue hot pants and a white sports bra while holding an abdominal crunch position.

Abs of steel: Maria Sharapova models in the new Nike 'Make Yourself' campaign, which was shot by photographer Annie Leibobitz

Abs of steel: Maria Sharapova is modelling in Nike Pro gear for the brand's new 'Make Yourself' campaign, which was shot by world famous photographer Annie Leibovitz

And by the look of her washboard stomach, she is no stranger to intense core workouts that focus on the abdominals.

In the other photograph for the Nike ‘Make Yourself’ campaign, Sharapova poses alongside a bevvy of fellow female sports stars - each one stunning in the photoshoot.

Fellow tennis player Li Na of China joins Sharapova in the campaign, alongside runners Allyson Felix of the US and British Perri Shakes-Drayton, American footballer Hope Solo, Algerian dancer Sofia Boutella and Australian surfer Laura Enever.

Li Na joins Sharapova, alongside runners Allyson Felix and Perri Shakes-Drayton, football player Hope Solo, dancer Sofia Boutella and surfer Laura Enever in the group portrait.

In the group photograph the star models Nike jogging bottoms and a loose grey T-shirt.

The advertisements will appear in upcoming issues of Seventeen, InStyle and Glamour magazines.

But Nike have kept tight-lipped over how much they paid for the campaign.

Meanwhile, Sharapova is going to play her next tournament at Wimbledon 2011.

The world No. 6 ranked player lost the Grand Slam title at the French Open, where she was beaten in the semi finals by Na Li of China last week.

But she’s ready to bring her A-game back to London, where she won the Wimbledon title in 2004 at a tender 17-years-old.

She will be joined by tennis super star Serena Williams at this year’s Wimbledon, giving Sharapova some tough competition in the women’s category.

Off the court, Sharapova has had a successful private life too and is engaged to Slovenian NBA basketball player Sasha Vujacic.

Sharapova is also no stranger to the world of modelling on the side of her sporting career and has appeared in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue in the past, among other magazine shoots.

paul_pipkin
#2 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 9:28:07 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

Nah, man. That's the sort of intentional disinformation they used to spread all the time back in 2006-2007, and which is apparently back, calculated to try & alienate as many of Masha's Russian fans as possible.

Maria AND her father have always been totally clear on this issue--prompting Fox (at that time) sportspimp Ted Robinson to rant on the air that he didn't care what they said, HE would never accept her Russian identity. (He had to back off of that, BTW)

Over-the-hill sportsmouth Bryant Gumbel said Yuri's statement that Maria would never change her nationality was "harsh". 

Now, this bit is not from some Yankee yahoo. Oddly, the sort of Brits who suck Yankee butt often come off as worse Russia-haters than the Yanks. Dunno what their problem is--only thing Russia ever did to them was the Crimea and that was less a Russian victory than British imperial incompetence. lol

Bottom line: Maria will play for Team Russia at the Olympiad, proudly displays that red passport wherever she travels, and said recently on this very site about the Chernobyl disaster, "how 25 years later it still haunts my people." End of story.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
boneyM
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:02:38 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Taken from Wikipedia... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_nationality_law)

A person who was not born a U.S. citizen may acquire U.S. citizenship through a process known as naturalization.
[edit] Eligibility for naturalization

To become a naturalized United States citizen, one must be at least eighteen years of age at the time of filing, a legal permanent resident of the United States, and have had a status of a legal permanent resident in the United States for five years before they apply (this requirement is reduced to three years if they (a) acquired legal permanent resident status, (b) have been married to and living with a citizen for the past three years and (c) the spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least three years prior to the applicant applying for naturalization.) They must have been physically present for at least 30 months of 60 months prior to the date of filing their application. Also during those 60 months if the legal permanent resident was outside of the U.S. for a continuous period of 6 months or more they are disqualified from naturalizing (certain exceptions apply for those continuous periods of six months to 1 year). They must be a "person of good moral character", and must pass a test on United States history and government[9][10] Most applicants must also have a working knowledge of the English language.[9] There are exceptions, introduced in 1990, for long-resident older applicants and those with mental or physical disabilities.[11][12]
boneyM
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:04:25 PM(UTC)

Dual citizenship

Based on the U.S. Department of State regulation on dual citizenship (7 FAM 1162), the Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual citizenship is a "status long recognized in the law" and that "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other," (Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717) (1952). In Schneider v. Rusk 377 U.S. 163 (1964), the US Supreme Court ruled that a naturalized U.S. citizen has the right to return to his native country and to resume his former citizenship, and also to remain a U.S. citizen even if he never returns to the United States.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) neither defines dual citizenship nor takes a position for it or against it. There has been no prohibition against dual citizenship, but some provisions of the INA and earlier U.S. nationality laws were designed to reduce situations in which dual citizenship exists. Although naturalizing citizens are required to undertake an oath renouncing previous allegiances, the oath has never been enforced to require the actual termination of original citizenship.[24]

Although the U.S. Government does not endorse dual citizenship as a matter of policy, it recognizes the existence of dual citizenship and completely tolerates the maintenance of multiple citizenship by U.S. citizens. In the past, claims of other countries on dual-national U.S. citizens sometimes placed them in situations where their obligations to one country were in conflict with the laws of the other. However, as fewer countries require military service and most base other obligations, such as the payment of taxes, on residence and not citizenship, these conflicts have become less frequent. As a result, there has been a dramatic increase in recent years in the number of people who maintain U.S. citizenship in other countries.

One circumstance where dual citizenship may run counter to expectations of government agencies is in matters of security clearance. Any person granted a Yankee White vetting must be absolutely free of foreign influence, and for other security clearances one of the grounds that may result in a rejected application is an actual or potential conflict of national allegiances.
boneyM
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:09:53 PM(UTC)

(http://www.antaoandchuang.com/en/u-s-citizenship/naturalization-requirements)

Naturalization Requirements
Related topics:

Naturalization

Naturalization is the process by which foreign nationals become U.S. citizens. There are a variety of requirements for naturalization which vary by different circumstances. This page covers the general requirements, and provides a chart comparing the requirements for the main categories.

The general requirements (subject to exceptions) for naturalization include:

a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States;
residence in a particular USCIS District prior to filing;
an ability to read, write, and speak English;
a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;
good moral character;
attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and,
favorable disposition toward the United States.

Note that all naturalization applicants must demonstrate good moral character, attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and favorable disposition toward the United States. However, the other naturalization requirements may be modified or waived for certain applicants, such as spouses of U.S. citizens. Please see the chart below which summarizes the modifications/exceptions for MOST types of applicants (but does NOT cover Children and Citizenship, or certain other special circumstances).

boneyM
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:10:48 PM(UTC)

I would bet alot of money that the Sharapova's are now naturalized US citizens.

I await your comments ladies and gentlemen...

<3Maria Sharapova
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:15:37 PM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Wow, so much informion for becoming an US citizen!
Maria is like a president, she said that 'how 25 years later it still haunts MY people.'Wow!
But actually what is the nationality of Maria, US or Russia?
ShelbyK
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:51:10 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

She is russian. We all know that. If she is a U.S. citizen it doesn't take away from her nationality.

M-Lover
#9 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 5:29:02 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

I agree with Paul that all the Sharapova-US citizen thing is no more than an ad by the American media, always Russian hater. It's the vestige of the Cold War. As Maria is their icon, she has to be American. Period. But it's still disturbing that a journalist, a British journalist, wrote that Sharapova, the RUSSIAN player, is ALSO American citizen. So a new strategy to make fans believe the idea Maria could keep a double nationality?
boneyM
#10 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 6:11:17 AM(UTC)

M-Lover think about it. All the other Russian players have to go and pick up their visas all the time from Embassies / Consulate offices before travelling around Europe (try following them on Twitter and you will see what I mean). As far as the Sharapovas are concerned they have probably taken US citizenship as a matter of convenience especially when travelling around the the world and needing entry visas to most countries. Clearly a US passport has more weight than a Russian one and involves a lot less paperwork. (Those that say she is always brandishing her Russian passport in public, please post all the pics, there must be hundreds of them around)

That said, if you read the notes above, the US allows people to have joint nationality which basically means that whilst being residents of the United States, the Sharapovas are entitled to maintain their Russian nationality / passports too.

Martina Navratilova has US and Czech passports. She reapplied for her Czech citizenship during the Bush Administration because she was so ashamed of being American.

I have a friend in LA who is Polish but has both Polish and US citizenship. When she travels she uses the US passport as it's easier to move around with. She only uses the Polish passport when she goes to Europe (as Poland is part of the European Union).

The argument that the press is trying to keep the bitterness of the Cold War in play is quite frankly laughable and very petty. The British press has nothing against Russia contrary to what some paranoid Americans on this forum (who have never been the UK) seem to think.

The point with Maria is that she resides in the US and not in Russia and anyone with an ounce of knowledge in immigration, residency rights etc will know that she probably by now has dual citizenship but chooses to represent her country of birth. So what's the big deal?

Tommy Haas is another example. He has taken US citizenship but has said he will continue to represent Germany because he maintains both passports.

paul_pipkin
#11 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 6:13:36 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Not new, man. This old crock of crap used to be trotted out as a distraction before every big tournament. Just-we ain't heard it so much for the last year or so and may wonder why it's back now. 

I can offer speculation and may after a while.

boneyM
#12 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 6:16:40 AM(UTC)

See what I mean.

paul_pipkin
#13 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 6:44:35 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Boney, your problem is--none of it is real.

You think the Sharapovs got naturalized in "secret" without massive media attention here in the States?

Gimme a break.

Again I note: This rumor is typically propagated just like this--right at draw day at a major, so we will focus on this crap rather than talk about what's really going on.

boneyM
#14 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 6:51:42 AM(UTC)

Your paranoia Paul...just keep it to yourself. I certainly don't care for it and it's clearly ruining your day.
The Sharapovas can be as secretive as they want.

You're a fool to think otherwise. Then again your paranoia is evident in literally every single comment you write.

The World According To Paul.

Give me a break.
paul_pipkin
#15 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:40:27 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

The upside of these distrative agendas is they invariably expose themselves immediately, dripping with the personal venom we've heard a hundred times before.

Y'all out there in the civilized world can go on about the convention of "dual citizenship" as you please, but the USA ain't the EU. Here is the fact:

Oath of American Citizenship:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(United_States) 

Clear enough?

boneyM
#16 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:52:38 AM(UTC)

Paul you are so blinkered in your view of the world. I actually don't care what you think. I have posted enough on this subject. I have posted articles from Wikipedia, from an attorney's website, I have told you about Czechs, Poles and Germans who have dual US citizenship...and you still don't want to hear it.

What is clear is that you hate the idea that the Sharapovas might have the same passport that you have (assuming you have one). That in itself is enough reason to start a post here, "Why does Paul hate the Sharapova / US association so much?" Please discuss.

I said it before and I'll keep on saying it. It's laughable. There are countless articles that are available on the internet about US dual citizenship and The World According To Paul negates this. Oh well.
paul_pipkin
#17 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 8:31:51 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

No problem, because she doesn't have the same passport. Mine has a blue cover, Maria's is red.

If you were talking globalism, that's a fact of life. Masha is a very cosmopolitan person.

But that's not what you're selling, is it?

M-Lover
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:54:09 PM(UTC)
M-Lover

Nice pic. Tell me I'm wrong but what I see on Maria's jacket??? Something like "U SS A" ? 

paul_pipkin
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:34:15 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I'll oblige. 8-) "Russia", just like on Elena's.

Me, I'd prefer they styled it РОССЙЯ but whatever. Russians got hot for Western stuff in Peter the Great's time too and it didn't hurt 'em any.

Brebis
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:05:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)
Russian or not , I do not see Maria living is Russia after her tennis career. Will be Europe or LA/New York.