logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages«<23456>»
WIMBLEDON 2011
paul_pipkin
#63 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:49:06 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

Originally Posted by: PodgeMcQ Go to Quoted Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/maria-sharapova-a-double-life-of-sales-and-serves-2297889.html

This seems to be the only interview with maria at wimbledon so far anyways

I like the last part:

She recalled her first visit to the All England Club. "That was the first time I really fell in love with it. I was 15. It was two years before I won. I was runner-up to Vera Dushevina in the junior final. It was a Sunday final. We finished after the men's final so everyone had already left the courts and it was just deserted.

"I was probably one of the last ones to leave and I remember just looking back. There was that big clock and the ivy around the gate and I just felt: 'There's just something so amazing about this place. I want to come back.' Two years later I won it, so it's just crazy how things work out."

Sharapova admitted that 2004, when she won as a 17-year-old, felt a long time ago, but added: "I love the fact that I'm 24, that I have a lot of experience behind my back. I wouldn't change my age for anything." Besides, Wimbledon can have a rejuvenating effect. "Every time I come there I still feel that amazing energy I felt when I was 17.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#64 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:21:33 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Masha can take this thing.  

Look at what we're seeing:

Serena looks like hell warmed over. Venus not much better. Upcomers who get off their butts can take out the sisters in the first week.

Kim is out. Sam only "won" because Vera went weird. Kuzi is also weirding out down in Holland.

The hot new Germans: on grass, not so much. Ditto the Italians & Spaniards.

The old stand-bys, Maria knows well. Marat was right--Li Na shows nothing special. Masha just blew it in the RG semi & she knows it. Watch out for the Czechs, for Dani, who is playing great, for Marion with Walter's ju-ju. But these are known quantities.

I say again: Maria has enemies she has not heard from yet. The real threats are the hot upcomers with whom she is unfamiliarWhen we get the draw tomorrow, we should pay close attention to each possible contender along the way. Ref back to the quotation in the previous message.

I say to MashaThe girl hardest to defeat is the one who is you all those years ago.

Remember when Serena strode on court full of herself & contemptuous of an unknown teen? Yeah.

Brebis
#46 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:25:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 218 post(s)

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: katmilr Go to Quoted Post

Seeds announced this WED 

and Draw is on Friday...

Any guesses as to what her seeding may be? Or same as her ranking? 

GO MARIA!!! 

...and the number 5 it is !!  Let's hope the Williams sisters are not in Maria halve of the draw. Out of frustration ,I will not sleep for at least a week if Serana or Venus wins there match against Maria. Ps; It's very quiet in the Sharapova camp. Is she still around or did she go for a holiday ? 

There was some sort of event on court. fabiosky posted this:

Thanks for the pic but it's a fake one ! No way Maria is allowed to play on the grass courts right now. Her face is also made too big !

Brebis
#65 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:28:43 PM(UTC)

Serena looks like hell warmed over. Venus not much better. Upcomers who get off their butts can take out the sisters in the first week.

Kim is out. Sam only "won" because Vera went weird. Kuzi is also weirding out down in Holland.

The old stand-bys, Maria knows well. Marat was right--Li Na shows nothing special. Masha just blew it in the RG semi & she knows it. Watch out for the Czechs, for Dani, who is playing great, for Marion with Walter's ju-ju. But these are known quantities.

I say again: Maria has enemies she has not heard from yet. The real threats are the hot upcomers with whom she is unfamiliarWhen we get the draw tomorrow, we should pay close attention to each possible contender along the way. Ref back to the quotation in the previous message.

I say to MashaThe girl hardest to defeat is the one who is you all those years ago.

Remember when Serena strode on court full of herself & contemptuous of an unknown teen? Yeah.

Well said Paul , I fully agree with you !  "The girl hardest to defeat is the one who is YOU all those years ago !! "   Ps; If you look at the players party pics, it seems that Maria coloured her hair darker  ? Makes her look older. Prefer the blond hair

paul_pipkin
#67 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:41:32 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Well said Paul , I fully agree with you !  "The girl hardest to defeat is the one who is YOU all those years ago !! "

Thanx, Brebis. The feeling has been growing & now congealing into certainty.  

And I left out, Vika is hurt again.  Retired to Bartoli with a "right groin injury".

Philli
#69 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 4:01:00 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

Sorry to have to disagree with you Paul, but I dont think Masha can 'Take this thing'. Not this year or any other year. But I will stick my neck out, here and now, and say...This year there will be a new name on the Wimbledon Trophy.

And now to the rest of the news. Take a look at some of the Tasteless dresses the girls were wearing at the Party. Maria as usual...up to the neck in material...nothing to flash off anyway. Ana embarrassed about her choice of dress...too revealing..always put up the arm to avoid showing the cleavage when you are embarrassed about your own femininity. Mattek-Sands...thought it was a Haloween Party. Judge for yourselves:

http://www.wtatennis.com...fCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2377713,00.html

PodgeMcQ
#70 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 4:32:43 AM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)

The seeds are now being put in the ladies' draw Serena is down the bottom in Zvonareva's half, as is Na Li. Wozniacki in the top half has Schiavone, Azarenka, Sharapova and Stosur, as well as Petkovic, Goerges and Pavlyuchenkova.

Maria is up against Anna Chakvetadze............ a russian didnt see that coming 

paul_pipkin
#71 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 6:18:30 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

The seeds are now being put in the ladies' draw Serena is down the bottom in Zvonareva's half, as is Na Li. Wozniacki in the top half has Schiavone, Azarenka, Sharapova and Stosur, as well as Petkovic, Goerges and Pavlyuchenkova.

Venus and Serena in the same half on the bottom half maria on top half 

Maria is up against Anna Chakvetadze............ a russian didnt see that coming 

Gotta tell you--that Chaki business smells like Craig Tiley, Melbourne draw-type crap. Might be anyway. 

Gotta see the whole thing to judge whether Li Na may be a stalking horse for Serena again....

Draw is up, 

http://www.wimbledon.com...ores/draws/ws/index.html 

http://www.wimbledon.com...ores/draws/ws/wsdraw.pdf 

PodgeMcQ
#72 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 6:47:55 AM(UTC)
PodgeMcQ

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Most russian players have been pitted in the bottom half of the draw about 4 in the 3rd quarter and 5 in the 4th and could rise depending on the qualifier's results
paul_pipkin
#73 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:05:43 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Most russian players have been pitted in the bottom half of the draw about 4 in the 3rd quarter and 5 in the 4th and could rise depending on the qualifier's results

Right. Not a Russian quarter, but there IS something going on. Take a careful look through the first-round matchups. Right off, I spot several that reek of socio-poiltical considerations.

Philli
#74 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:06:01 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Think you'll find Serena is in the upper half of the draw...not the lower half. Venus is 'downstairs, but I cant see it coming to another Sisters Act in the final. Top two blocks contain Wozi, Na Li, Maria and Serena...like I said.
paul_pipkin
#75 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 7:17:31 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Philli Go to Quoted Post
Think you'll find Serena is in the upper half of the draw...not the lower half. Venus is 'downstairs, but I cant see it coming to another Sisters Act in the final. Top two blocks contain Wozi, Na Li, Maria and Serena...like I said.

It's set up to superficially resemble a Sisters Act draw. That defuses gripes from the Yanks. (Am I seeing an awful lot of Russian-American meets?) But like you suggest, the designers can hardly ignore the fact that the sisters may not be up for that scenario.

BUT--most unclean: ONE MORE TIME, Li Na sent to meet Serena in the quarters. IF Serena can get there, I almost guarantee Li will tank, like she always does for Serena in these conditions.

Imnumber2
#76 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 9:40:35 AM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

I wanna see a revenge Masha-Li!!!

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
paul_pipkin
#77 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 9:57:11 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Then hope for Serena to fall early. lol

ShelbyK
#78 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 10:11:56 AM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Obviously she has to get to the quarters, hopefully that won't be an issue but, i want to see her hit princess off the court

pras1904
#79 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 11:25:55 AM(UTC)

hi pova,

how r u. how r your family members. hope all u are fine.i have seen your previous matches. u were amazing. lots of improvement. now i can say u are one among the greatest player.but this is one part ; the next thing i am impressed to see your confidience, focus on ur match. it as been long time since i saw ur match.but you managed ur tennis life on ur own.hope u do well ahead.

ur continous contribution through ur foundation is nice to see but i didn't hard till now what ur foundation has done. do ur foundation help orphans. hope it does.after all i wish u all the luck and best wishes.

do ur best

shreeprasad shetty

Brebis
#80 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 2:09:18 PM(UTC)

Yet again Maria is in the toughest half of the draw; Caroline, Sam, Serena, Na. Apart from that, Maria doesn't like to play Russians and who she plays in round 1,.... Anna Chakidatzieeeee ?? Also Maria is playing on Tuesday , like in Paris. One day less rest in the 2nd week. No...., doesn't look good at all but still think she can WIN !!

paul_pipkin
#81 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 2:36:26 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yet again Maria is in the thoughest half of the draw; Caroline, Sam, Serena, Na. Apart from that, Maria doesn't like to play Russians and who she plays in round 1,.... Anna Chakidatzieeeee ?? Also Maria is playing on Tuesday , like in Paris. One day less rest in the 2nd week. No...., doesn't look good at all but still think she can WIN !!

Conversely, contrast Serena's draw. Shape Rezai is in right now, first round is designed to be a walkover. They THINK she'll easily dispose of either Jovanovski or Halep--but the upcomer might be the best bet for getting rid of the BULK early. If they have a Russian qualifier or fellow kontraktnik Voskoboeva to pit against Shvedova, you can bet they'll do it, but Serena is more likely tasked to get rid of Kirilenko in the third round.

I think that's about the end of her road because I doubt Serena today can beat Bartoli today. If she can, of course, we will see whether Madame Li is still inclined to tank for her.

Wimbly site: "Williams headlines exciting ladies' draw" LOL! They're so totally invested in this crap, there is no escape for them. They gotta ride that horse into the ditch.

"Isner - Mahut to meet again in first round" singing ...it just happened that way Not.

saggittarian
#66 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 3:52:12 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Well said Paul , I fully agree with you !  "The girl hardest to defeat is the one who is YOU all those years ago !! "   Ps; If you look at the players party pics, it seems that Maria coloured her hair darker  ? Makes her look older. Prefer the blond hair

Brebis....Maria's hair is still very blonde.  Check out these videos. They include interviews with Maria. http://www.thesun.co.uk/...-ace-at-tennis-bash.html

http://news.sky.com/skyn..._Fashion_At_Annual_Event

ShelbyK
#82 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 5:30:07 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

All of you guys' conspiracy theories about the draws are getting old. If you don't like them fine, but you can't change them by complaining about it non stop.