logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

18 Pages123>»
WIMBLEDON 2011
Brebis
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 4:01:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

Yes, I know, I know, I'm early with this new topic but needed to write this question down; Will Venus and Serena attend Wimbledon this year ?  I say Venus yes, Serena no !! What do you think ??

1 user thanked Brebis for this useful post.
zrnovci on 6/28/2011(UTC)
shrapilova
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 5:40:37 AM(UTC)
shrapilova

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)

Think thew will not play.

They have no tournamets played before.

Why does Maria not play Birmingham ?

No tournament before Wimbledon on grass ?

That's not good.

Brebis
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:37:10 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: shrapilova Go to Quoted Post

Think thew will not play.

They have no tournamets played before.

Why does Maria not play Birmingham ?

No tournament before Wimbledon on grass ?

That's not good.

According to websites Maria will not play Birmingham due to illness ! Maybe she will play 's Hertogenbosch ??

paul_pipkin
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:42:29 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1868 time(s) in 1238 post(s)

I expect Maria will have something to say about her preparations over the next week or so.

As to the sisters, I can offer only one observation: In this sort of situation, which they've reapeated often, the Yank commentatiat is typically full of brave talk.

In this case, I hear none such. The talking heads are not exerting themselves to raise expectations. 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
saggittarian
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 10:32:32 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Brebis.......Tom is going to be upset you started this thread instead of him!! Hehe.

I am looking forward to Wimledon. I can watch in HD and also record it on my pc. Hope Maria has a good rest and feel refreshed for Wimledon. I think it is a good idea to rest for 2 weeks as the clay court matches were very tough for her.

I am just going to enjoy watching her play each match at a time.

tgj92
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:26:33 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Originally Posted by: saggittarian Go to Quoted Post

Brebis.......Tom is going to be upset you started this thread instead of him!! Hehe.

you snooze you lose, i guess

giane
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:41:13 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
haven't heard about the sisters.. but i guess, Serena still won't play Wimbly.. she's still on her recovery period..
Too bad and sad Maria will not be @ Birmingham.. she is ill.. hope she'll get over it. but Wimbly is my sure thing! :D
shrapilova
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 05, 2011 11:40:50 PM(UTC)
shrapilova

Venus to play Eastbourne; Serena as well?
Ticker - Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tennis.com

Former world No. 1 Venus Williams will return to action at the Wimbledon warm-up tournament in Eastbourne, one of her representatives told TENNIS.com. The five-time Wimbledon champion has not played since injuring her hip at the Australian Open.

Venus' sister Serena may also return to play at Eastbourne. In an article in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Serena's trainer, Mackie Shilstone, said the plan is for her to play in one tune-up tournament before attempting to defend her 2010 Wimbledon title. Eastbourne is said to be holding a wild card for Serena.

"I think it is a progression over the 21 days (they've been training together)," Shilstone said. "Is she there now? No. Would you expect her to be there now? No. But I can tell you, slowly but surely she is coming around."

Serena has not competed since last year's Wimbledon due a foot injury she suffered just after the tournament, and a pulmonary embolism that she suffered in February.

"That would be enough to put any athlete over the deep end," Shilstone said. "But she is so mentally strong. I haven't run into a male athlete as mentally strong, maybe (light heavyweight boxing's) Bernard Hopkins is the closest. That's one of the reasons why she is such a great champion."

About Maria: What kind of illness should she have ?
I think she is very disappointed about her loss at RG and also afraid
that she will never win this tournament.
But it makes no sense to enter Wimbledon without a grass - tournament
experience before Wimby.
Think she had clear private life plans after a RG win and now she has to
reflecte how to go on.
paul_pipkin
#9 Posted : Monday, June 06, 2011 11:20:39 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: shrapilova Go to Quoted Post
Venus to play Eastbourne; Serena as well? Ticker - Sunday, June 5, 2011 Tennis.com Former world No. 1 Venus Williams will return to action at the Wimbledon warm-up tournament in Eastbourne, one of her representatives told TENNIS.com. The five-time Wimbledon champion has not played since injuring her hip at the Australian Open. Venus' sister Serena may also return to play at Eastbourne. In an article in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Serena's trainer, Mackie Shilstone, said the plan is for her to play in one tune-up tournament before attempting to defend her 2010 Wimbledon title. Eastbourne is said to be holding a wild card for Serena. "I think it is a progression over the 21 days (they've been training together)," Shilstone said. "Is she there now? No. Would you expect her to be there now? No. But I can tell you, slowly but surely she is coming around." Serena has not competed since last year's Wimbledon due a foot injury she suffered just after the tournament, and a pulmonary embolism that she suffered in February. "That would be enough to put any athlete over the deep end," Shilstone said. "But she is so mentally strong. I haven't run into a male athlete as mentally strong, maybe (light heavyweight boxing's) Bernard Hopkins is the closest. That's one of the reasons why she is such a great champion." __________________________________________________________________________ About Maria: What kind of illness should she have ? I think she is very disappointed about her loss at RG and also afraid that she will never win this tournament. But it makes no sense to enter Wimbledon without a grass - tournament experience before Wimby. Think she had clear private life plans after a RG win and now she has to reflecte how to go on.

Times-Picayune has served as an outlet for "official leaks" from the Williams camp. Dunno why--possibly old family ties. Of course, all that tells us is that is the line the Williamses want us to believe at this moment. Williams BS has gotten so deep I believe NOTHING until I see it.

One thing you KNOW: they are outta form, if not fitness. IF they turn up anywhere, I say the same thing as always to ANY player--WHACK THEM EARLY when they're most vulnerable.  Either of them can be sent out in the first or second round if a contender--even a qualifier--can get her head on straight. Hey, that Caroline Garcia could have chewed Serena up.

Masha assures us that she and Sasha figure they have a long time together & are focused on their careers. I'll accept that until I see otherwise. No worries whether she can win RG. In fact, she's gotta be doubly pissed at Schiavone's play in the final. No question whatsoever Maria would've whacked her.

She should be able to isolate the very precise reasons she fumbled the ball against Madame Li. The wind and dust conditioned the entire match. That is a huge issue, but not the entire story. Exactly how and why Li adapted better is the most important question for Maria to resolve. It's possible she needed to modify her serve but she should NOT listen to the pundits on that. They want her to lose so they always hope to undermine her major weapon.

I'm pretty sure Thomas has an answer. I've got the impression he is a game scientist--none of this psychobabble bull.

shrapilova
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:40:52 AM(UTC)
shrapilova

Williams set for Eastbourne return
IN ASSOCIATION WITH Page last updated at 07:30 GMT, Tuesday, 7 June 2011 08:30 UK

Venue: Devonshire Park, Eastbourne Date: 11-18 June Coverage: Reports on BBC Sport website

Serena will be hoping to win a fifth Wimbledon title next month Serena Williams has confirmed she will return to action at next week's Aegon International event in Eastbourne.

The American, 29, has not played since beating Vera Zvonareva in last year's Wimbledon final.

Shortly after winning that event, she cut her foot on broken glass then needed treatment for a blood clot in her lung.

Also among the field for the Wimbledon warm-up are Serena's sister Venus and French Open champion Li Na.

Venus has not played since retiring in her third-round match at January's Australian Open with an abdominal injury.

Serena's problems started when she cut her foot in Germany shortly after claiming her fourth Wimbledon title.

Serena WilliamsContinue reading the main story Winner of 13 Grand Slam singles titles Currently ranked 25th in the world but is a former world number one She played in an exhibition match in Belgium against Kim Clijsters days later but had the first of two operations on the injury when she returned to the United States.

The second surgery was in October, followed by 10 weeks in a cast and 10 weeks in a walking boot.

In February, she was diagnosed with the blood clot and also needed treatment for a gathering of blood under the skin on her stomach

"I am so excited to be healthy enough to compete again," she said. "These past 12 months have been extremely tough and character building."

Serena outpowers Zvonareva in 2010 Wimbledon final (UK only)
saggittarian
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:52:02 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Will be interesting to see what sort of form the Williams sisters are in. Hope they will fare better than Kim did on her return at Roland Garros.

robb
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:36:56 AM(UTC)
robb

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Will be interesting to see what sort of form the Williams sisters are in. Hope they will fare better than Kim did on her return at Roland Garros.

I DON'T hope they 'fare better' at all...........in fact it is annoying the way they both come out of hibernation each year, just in time for Wimbledon. It is getting boring them taking it in turns to win it.

That said I can't believe the bookies have got MARIA down as current favourite to win it.....WHAT??? Oh and Serena is already second favourite.........

paul_pipkin
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:09:21 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: robb Go to Quoted Post

I DON'T hope they 'fare better' at all...........in fact it is annoying the way they both come out of hibernation each year, just in time for Wimbledon. It is getting boring them taking it in turns to win it.

That said I can't believe the bookies have got MARIA down as current favourite to win it.....WHAT??? Oh and Serena is already second favourite.........

I s'pose it's no stranger than the books hanging with Vika until she went outta RG.  But that sums up one reason I'm not a gambling man. 

Yeah--they got no clue re Serena's form & fitness, yet... no sense at all.

Knecken
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:14:01 PM(UTC)

Do you guys think there is any possibility thas Maria has got a little bun in the oven, maybe? This is of course just speculations, but it's not impossible?

paul_pipkin
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:42:33 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Knecken Go to Quoted Post

Do you guys think there is any possibility thas Maria has got a little bun in the oven, maybe? This is of course just speculations, but it's not impossible?

The accent would have to be on "little"--like maybe last night. 8-) Not really. Like I said to shrapi,  "Masha assures us that she and Sasha figure they have a long time together & are focused on their careers. I'll accept that until I see otherwise."

Brebis
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 1:56:46 PM(UTC)

Well, well, well ! The courts have grass and all of a sudden the Williams sisters can play tennis !? May they both loose in the 1st round. What if one of them takes the title. Getting nervous about that already !! By the way; Were is Maria hiding these days ?

tgj92
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:00:31 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

Well, well, well ! The courts have grass and all of a sudden the Williams sisters can play tennis !? May they both loose in the 1st round. What if one of them takes the title. Getting nervous about that already !! By the way; Were is Maria hiding these days ?

On the indoor courts at Wimbledon ofc... and keeping a low profile after withdrawing from Birmingham i guess :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJYWkpdmtU

1 user thanked tgj92 for this useful post.
Brebis on 6/9/2011(UTC)
shrapilova
#24 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:09:12 AM(UTC)
shrapilova

Thanks for the video.
Very interesting to see how they work and
Sasha waiting aside unpatiently.
But the video shows us that she probably has no illness.
I'm also in doubt that it is the right decision not to play a tournament
before Wimbledon.
Think she wants no risk to get out early.
The exit in the semis of RG disappointed her enough, I suppose.
<3Maria Sharapova
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:47:28 AM(UTC)
<3Maria Sharapova

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Thanks for the video! It's great!
Can't wait to see maria holds the Wimbledon trophy
1 user thanked <3Maria Sharapova for this useful post.
rahim57 on 6/19/2011(UTC)
saggittarian
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:07:32 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

The weather in London has been and still is very unsettled. You get rain, blustery winds, sun, the lot all in one day!

Just keep practising those serves in windy weather, Maria. Prepare yourself!!! I know you can do it. On a good day you can beat ANYONE!

1 user thanked saggittarian for this useful post.
rahim57 on 6/19/2011(UTC)