logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages«<1213141516>
Roland Garros
tgj92
#249 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:33:07 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 13,447

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

paul_pipkin;308103 wrote:


tgj92;308077 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308076 wrote:


Thanx, M-Lover. All good, arguable propositions.


Just one additional tid-bit: In the American ESPN2 replay of the quarterfinal, the Paris crowd reactions sound (perhaps oddly) not nearly as adverse to Maria as the Eurosport original. 


One or the other broadcaster mechaniced the audio. Just saying... 



Meh. The crowd were great with her today, the best they've been the whole tournament, even heard a few "Allez Maria's"


I think they're starting to realize she's not so bad after all. Even so i imagine she'll still get rough treatment later in the tournament, if she progresses that is :-) Not to worry, she thrives on it. Keep booing i say!



The ESPN2 broadcast of the semifinal: We could discern no crowd involvement at all--either way. Which makes sense when players in whom they are not invested contend professionally & relatively dispassionately.  But that makes almost too much sense for the Parisians.


When I got Masha on my big HD plasma screen, I'm not looking at Eurosport, so I dunno how the match sounded there. 



I know what i heard, distinctly because i was so shocked by it. The crowd were pretty jovial and 'into it' from what i could hear. I assume the pictures were from Eurosport but i was watching on the BBC with John Lloyd, Andew Castle and some woman, i think Sam commentating.

1 user thanked tgj92 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 6/2/2011(UTC)
Brebis
#272 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 10:37:35 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,010

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)
The nerves got to her today ! At 5-4 and 6-5, Maria needs to serve to stay in the match and not for the first time, she cracks under pressure !! I had high expectations but it was not meant to be ! Still disappointed, as Li is also not a great clay court player. The lucky thing for Li today are the shorter legs. This was a great opportunity to win her career Slam this year. Confidence is good so more luck at Wimbledon.
Imnumber2
#273 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:16:12 AM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 6,240

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

A BIG disappointing lost for Maria for sure!! :( 10 DFs? she has been serving so well!!! :(


Sooo close!!! :(


I don't think it's nerve but simply a really bad day..............

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
goran.k@gmail.com
#274 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:27:25 AM(UTC)
goran.k@gmail.com

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 5/31/2011(UTC)
Posts: 41

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I felt like I was on the verge of a heart-attack/sobfest during that match. It made me super sad to see her lose. After a while of grieving (yes, I'm super dramatic), I realized how great she did this tournament and at Rome so it gave me some comfort. I can't wait to see her on grass again! I feel like its been so long! :)
paul_pipkin
#250 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:34:01 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,621

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

tgj92;308105 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308103 wrote:


tgj92;308077 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308076 wrote:


Thanx, M-Lover. All good, arguable propositions.


Just one additional tid-bit: In the American ESPN2 replay of the quarterfinal, the Paris crowd reactions sound (perhaps oddly) not nearly as adverse to Maria as the Eurosport original. 


One or the other broadcaster mechaniced the audio. Just saying... 



Meh. The crowd were great with her today, the best they've been the whole tournament, even heard a few "Allez Maria's"


I think they're starting to realize she's not so bad after all. Even so i imagine she'll still get rough treatment later in the tournament, if she progresses that is :-) Not to worry, she thrives on it. Keep booing i say!



The ESPN2 broadcast of the semifinal: We could discern no crowd involvement at all--either way. Which makes sense when players in whom they are not invested contend professionally & relatively dispassionately.  But that makes almost too much sense for the Parisians.


When I got Masha on my big HD plasma screen, I'm not looking at Eurosport, so I dunno how the match sounded there. 



I know what i heard, distinctly because i was so shocked by it. The crowd were pretty jovial and 'into it' from what i could hear. I assume the pictures were from Eurosport but i was watching on the BBC with John Lloyd, Andew Castle and some woman, i think Sam commentating.



I believe you. Discovery that ESPN2 suppressed positive crowd response for Masha does NOT surprise me a bit. 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
robb
#275 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:39:34 AM(UTC)
robb

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 111

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Can't pretend I'm not dissapointed, but always thought that Li would be a tough cookie to get past. A really good spell of tournament results for Maria, but this was a chance and she fell a bit short in the end.....
Philli
#276 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:40:21 AM(UTC)
Philli

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 450

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Maria's nerves never got to her....at least not until she realised she was up against a player that was better than her. Na Li outplayed her tactically by using her head. Maria is a slogger who simply tries to grind down her opponents with power. She has no brain to think about tactics. Fortunately, for Maria, it doesn't look like Na Li will be playing Birmingham this year so Maria can avoid another embarrassment.

Anyway Next week the positions should look like this: Na Li will move up to 4th in the rankings....win or lose. Vika will be Number 5. Maria will be Number 6. Francesca will be 7th or 8th depending on wether she wins or loses and Sam Stosur will drop out of the Top Ten altogether. Marion could break into the Top Ten at 9th.
saggittarian
#279 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:51:21 AM(UTC)
saggittarian

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 252

Thanks: 44 times
Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

I know I have said this a lot of times. When Maria gets her first serves in and makes less DFs and UEs she CAN beat anyone. I am not making excuses for her for today's loss but I kind of disagree that Li was a better player. Maria had 10 DFs, 28 UEs and only 12 winners. That was very poor. In my opinion, she gave the match to Li. If she had played like she played against Petkovic or against Wozi in Rome, she would have beaten Li hands down.

M-Lover
#263 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:58:20 AM(UTC)
M-Lover

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 142

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Philli;308101 wrote:
Dont you just hate me when I'm right? Maria's slogging game was no match for a player that uses her head as much as her racquet. Na Li completely outplayed her and made her look like an average player who gets in one or two good shots but mostly they are way off or double faulted. Na Li played exactly the same tactics that she used to beat Maria in Birmingham last year. Seems like Maria has a very short memory.


Today I agree with you about one thing: Na Li played very smart, with both her head and her arms. The way she dispatched the ball where she wanted, in spite of the wind, is phenomenal. Na Li doesn't have Maria's strong serves and groundstokes. Her tennis is all tactics.


Schiavone's tennis is another example of smart game. Her sliced shots were lethal to Bartoli. She kind of played a la Henin today. A perfect style for clay. I think she is right now the best player on clay. Finally RG will have two great players in the final.


Maria's achieved a great RG given that clay isn't her favorite surface. I hardly thought she could go this far. She gotta work more on her fitness because she's capable of playing better on grass. The question is whether she can hold the distance! You gotta be very strong and fit to play two Grand Slams and Birmingham within 6 weeks. BTW is she going to play Birmingham?


Philli why do you think people hate you? Your comments may shake up some young fans when you take a jab at Maria. But your remarks are often pertinent. ;-)

Philli
#281 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 12:49:19 PM(UTC)
Philli

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 450

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
As of today this is the list of seedings given for Birmingham. Ivanovic is also going to appear. Eurosport UK will be covering it so there will be streams.

Player Nationality
1 Maria Sharapova RUS
2 Marion Bartoli FRA
3 Kaia Kanepi EST
4 Aravane Rezai FRA
5 Shuai Peng CHN
6 Daniela Hantuchova SVK
7 Ekaterina Makarova RUS
8 Sara Errani ITA
9 Roberta Vinci ITA
10 Yaroslava Shvedova KAZ
11 Jie Zheng CHN
12 Ayumi Morita JPN
13 Kimiko Date Krumm JPN
14 Bojana Jovanovski SRB
15 Rebecca Marino CAN
16 Arantxa Parra Santonja ESP
2 users thanked Philli for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 6/2/2011(UTC), deadchip on 6/3/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#282 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:08:59 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,621

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

Thanx. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first year Eurosport has gone to Birmingham. Streams have previously been restricted to semis & final, if that.


Good to see Yaroslava & Bojanna will be there. 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
ShelbyK
#283 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:25:02 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: BasicUsers
Joined: 3/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 120

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Disappointed. Oh well. On too the next tournament i guess. Looking forward to wimbly.

Brebis
#284 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:14:07 PM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,010

Thanks: 260 times
Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 215 post(s)

It's 11.15 pm in Europe and on the semi final day of a Grand Slam, I still feel horrible , sad, empty ! Can't help it , it's just a fact. What an opportunity to win a Grand Slam and the bluddy wind blew it. I'll hope Maria sleeps better then I will. On the other hand Maria can be proud of what she achieved so far this year. Motivation, convidence and solid serves are back. I expect a lot from her on grass this year. Let me get back here tomorrow to support her alllllll the wayyyyyyy in England. Bye for now. Ps; tgj92 can you post Maria's post match interview, thanks.

tgj92
#277 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:19:02 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 13,447

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

paul_pipkin;308109 wrote:


tgj92;308105 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308103 wrote:


tgj92;308077 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308076 wrote:


Thanx, M-Lover. All good, arguable propositions.


Just one additional tid-bit: In the American ESPN2 replay of the quarterfinal, the Paris crowd reactions sound (perhaps oddly) not nearly as adverse to Maria as the Eurosport original. 


One or the other broadcaster mechaniced the audio. Just saying... 



Meh. The crowd were great with her today, the best they've been the whole tournament, even heard a few "Allez Maria's"


I think they're starting to realize she's not so bad after all. Even so i imagine she'll still get rough treatment later in the tournament, if she progresses that is :-) Not to worry, she thrives on it. Keep booing i say!



The ESPN2 broadcast of the semifinal: We could discern no crowd involvement at all--either way. Which makes sense when players in whom they are not invested contend professionally & relatively dispassionately.  But that makes almost too much sense for the Parisians.


When I got Masha on my big HD plasma screen, I'm not looking at Eurosport, so I dunno how the match sounded there. 



I know what i heard, distinctly because i was so shocked by it. The crowd were pretty jovial and 'into it' from what i could hear. I assume the pictures were from Eurosport but i was watching on the BBC with John Lloyd, Andew Castle and some woman, i think Sam commentating.



I believe you. Discovery that ESPN2 suppressed positive crowd response for Masha does NOT surprise me a bit. 



It would be interesting to take two pieces of commentary from the same point in a match, taken from different channels and compare them. I'm sure it would be possible with the amount of footage people upload on youtube daily.

tgj92
#285 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:31:59 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 13,447

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Brebis;308120 wrote:


It's 11.15 pm in Europe and on the semi final day of a Grand Slam, I still feel horrible , sad, empty ! Can't help it , it's just a fact. What an opportunity to win a Grand Slam and the bluddy wind blew it. I'll hope Maria sleeps better then I will. On the other hand Maria can be proud of what she achieved so far this year. Motivation, convidence and solid serves are back. I expect a lot from her on grass this year. Let me get back here tomorrow to support her alllllll the wayyyyyyy in England. Bye for now. Ps; tgj92 can you post Maria's post match interview, thanks.



Can't find the written interview but there is this: 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VFoT2JDBaM

1 user thanked tgj92 for this useful post.
Brebis on 6/2/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#278 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:09:37 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,621

Thanks: 1697 times
Was thanked: 1869 time(s) in 1239 post(s)

tgj92;308121 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308109 wrote:


tgj92;308105 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308103 wrote:


tgj92;308077 wrote:


paul_pipkin;308076 wrote:


Thanx, M-Lover. All good, arguable propositions.


Just one additional tid-bit: In the American ESPN2 replay of the quarterfinal, the Paris crowd reactions sound (perhaps oddly) not nearly as adverse to Maria as the Eurosport original. 


One or the other broadcaster mechaniced the audio. Just saying... 



Meh. The crowd were great with her today, the best they've been the whole tournament, even heard a few "Allez Maria's"


I think they're starting to realize she's not so bad after all. Even so i imagine she'll still get rough treatment later in the tournament, if she progresses that is :-) Not to worry, she thrives on it. Keep booing i say!



The ESPN2 broadcast of the semifinal: We could discern no crowd involvement at all--either way. Which makes sense when players in whom they are not invested contend professionally & relatively dispassionately.  But that makes almost too much sense for the Parisians.


When I got Masha on my big HD plasma screen, I'm not looking at Eurosport, so I dunno how the match sounded there. 



I know what i heard, distinctly because i was so shocked by it. The crowd were pretty jovial and 'into it' from what i could hear. I assume the pictures were from Eurosport but i was watching on the BBC with John Lloyd, Andew Castle and some woman, i think Sam commentating.



I believe you. Discovery that ESPN2 suppressed positive crowd response for Masha does NOT surprise me a bit. 



It would be interesting to take two pieces of commentary from the same point in a match, taken from different channels and compare them. I'm sure it would be possible with the amount of footage people upload on youtube daily.



Yes. Interesting too beyond simply the different spins of commentary. Tampering with audio, etc is always associated with supporting the commentators' "narrative". Eurosport Player streams appear to be pretty much raw video.


Delayed broadcasts are subject to more monkey-business. Last year, ESPN2 was compelled to air the Wimbly women's doubles final when Americans got pissed at their clear avoidance of showing Vania King playing a final. So they broke down & showed it.


But overnight, they'd tampered with the video, cutting & pasting bits of sideline footage to support a commentarial narration pushing the notion Vera Zvonareva is mentally unstable.  I betcha that was to "appropriately" distract attention from Vania's dubious partner...


I'd seen the match live on a good Russian NTV+ stream--was how I recognized what they'd done. 


(Recording over some stuff today, I was careful to preserve the videotape of Vera plodding solidly on while Sabine Lisicki loses her freakin' mind on court--bet we'll never see that again other than on youtube.  )

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Imnumber2
#264 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:31:57 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 6,240

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

M-Lover;308114 wrote:


Philli;308101 wrote:
Dont you just hate me when I'm right? Maria's slogging game was no match for a player that uses her head as much as her racquet. Na Li completely outplayed her and made her look like an average player who gets in one or two good shots but mostly they are way off or double faulted. Na Li played exactly the same tactics that she used to beat Maria in Birmingham last year. Seems like Maria has a very short memory.


Today I agree with you about one thing: Na Li played very smart, with both her head and her arms. The way she dispatched the ball where she wanted, in spite of the wind, is phenomenal. Na Li doesn't have Maria's strong serves and groundstokes. Her tennis is all tactics.


Schiavone's tennis is another example of smart game. Her sliced shots were lethal to Bartoli. She kind of played a la Henin today. A perfect style for clay. I think she is right now the best player on clay. Finally RG will have two great players in the final.


Maria's achieved a great RG given that clay isn't her favorite surface. I hardly thought she could go this far. She gotta work more on her fitness because she's capable of playing better on grass. The question is whether she can hold the distance! You gotta be very strong and fit to play two Grand Slams and Birmingham within 6 weeks. BTW is she going to play Birmingham?


Philli why do you think people hate you? Your comments may shake up some young fans when you take a jab at Maria. But your remarks are often pertinent. ;-)



Like I said Na Li has been playing very consistently and she is indeed a smart player. Even today Na was good but not great though and what I mean Na is still beatableno doubt.  I'm very sure that if Maria didn't give away those free points, the result would have been different.


Hope she'll put aside this lost quick because it"s fucking stinks !!!! :(


oH Philli, we don't hate you when you are right within reason! ;)

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
irvino
#265 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:22:02 PM(UTC)
irvino

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 81

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)

WIND        6     7


MASHA    4     5

tgj92
#270 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:23:00 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 13,447

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

irvino;308125 wrote:


WIND        6     7


MASHA    4     5



HAHAHA

Dartagnan
#280 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:46:10 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered
Joined: 1/10/2011(UTC)
Posts: 4,879

Thanks: 1382 times
Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

saggittarian;308113 wrote:


I know I have said this a lot of times. When Maria gets her first serves in and makes less DFs and UEs she CAN beat anyone. I am not making excuses for her for today's loss but I kind of disagree that Li was a better player. Maria had 10 DFs, 28 UEs and only 12 winners. That was very poor. In my opinion, she gave the match to Li. If she had played like she played against Petkovic or against Wozi in Rome, she would have beaten Li hands down.



I think that Masha was tired today because her tennis was not effective against Li. 


I would like to know how did she sleep yesterday night???


May be she used too much energy against other opponents and today she was tired. 


We should not forget that she won the Roma tournament. She used plenty of energy.


Li didn't win the Roma tournament. It is the difference. 


DON'T WORRY EVERYBODY. MARIA IS STILL HERE TO COMPETE!!!!!!



"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.



Users browsing this topic
Guest
16 Pages«<1213141516>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.