logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<5678>
Internazionali BNL d'Italia - ROME
saggittarian
#89 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:25:20 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Originally Posted by: paul_pipkin Go to Quoted Post

Hi, Philli. I'd give a different hypothetical scenario. A close examination (see below) reveals a liklihood Masha may have won the quarterfinal. BUT, a full-on win would certainly have involved a long, intense three-setter. Ironically, you could speculate defeating Vika that way might have instead contributed to a loss to Princess the next day!

But it is what it is. Yeah, Sam Smith confirmed, "Wozniacki has not fallen off at all" during the semi, yet a fresh & focused Sharapova took her down in straight sets.

My guess is Sam Stosur will come out as she initially did against Li Na, expecting a long, grueling endurance test. That tit-for-tat play almost messed Sam up. One will see.

Oh, sure she will run off to Paris To train for RG, duh. Don't think her Tiffany earrings will detract.

Rybarikova has a leg up on Kvitova in Prague. http://www.livescorehunt...out=popup&Itemid=286

I just reviewed the match again. The actual tipping point began late in the 1st after Vika bickered with the ump over a hard call. Asderaki gave Masha 25 30-15 re a complicated issue & Viki got steamed/distracted as Masha held at 54. Paranoia kicked in. I remarked on Shoutbox that Vika would freak if Masha broke. Knowing Vika, she was anxiously visualizing it slipping away from that point. 

Though Masha then blew her break point & dropped the first set, momentum actually had shifted, as we saw in the 2nd before Vika jammed her elbow at 10 30-0. Thus Maria has reason to take confidence she had turned it around three games before the injury.  

Well said, Paul. How can anyone speculate what might have been? Like Paul said, it is what it is. AND she won today!!!

By the way, Philli, I didn't notice Maria wipe her nose once today. Oops! perhaps I missed it because I was concentrating on  her stunning forehand winners.

paul_pipkin
#122 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:25:52 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1881 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

WTA article:

ROME, Italy - Showing her power game is most certainly adaptable to all surfaces, Maria Sharapova captured the biggest clay court title of her career on Sunday afternoon, maintaining her mastery over Samantha Stosur and taking home the Premier-level Internazionali BNL d'Italia crown.

The final of the $2,050,000 event got off to a gloomy start, three hours of rain delay pushing it until after 5pm; but once the clouds cleared the No.7-seeded Sharapova shone through, winning 16 of the first 19 points to storm ahead 4-0 then never really falling behind to score a 62 64 victory. She ended it with a huge inside out forehand into the open court, her 18th winner of the match.

"I'm going to apologize in advance because my Italian is very poor, so I'm going to speak in English," Sharapova said to her adoring Italian fans during the on-court ceremony. "I'm so happy to be the champion. It means so much to me to add this title to the ones I already have. Rome is such a special place and I've dreamed of holding up this trophy. There are a lot of tournaments coming up, and this is a great start to everything. I can't wait to be back next year."

Sharapova was particularly gracious towards those who helped her along the way. "Thanks to everyone for being so supportive. I'm happy to have so many great fans here in Italy, and that includes all my Russian fans who brought flags out today. And of course my mom and my dad, who are watching on TV."

Sharapova, who had also taken out Caroline Wozniacki en route to the final - a fifth career victory over a reigning No.1 for the former No.1 - won her third WTA clay court title, but first at the Premier level (her first two came at Internationals in Amelia Island and Strasbourg). It was her 23rd overall WTA title.

No.6-seeded Stosur, who had pulled off upsets over No.2 seed Francesca Schiavone and No.4 seed Li Na en route to her first final since Roland Garrosalmost a year ago, fell to 0-8 lifetime against Sharapova. Her serve was under particular attack - she won just 38% of second serve points and even struggled on her first serve, winning just 52% of those. She was broken five times.

Sharapova and Stosur are projected to switch spots on the new rankings, Sharapova moving from No.8 to No.7 and Stosur going from No.7 to No.8.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Stephen H on 5/16/2011(UTC)
Imnumber2
#123 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:27:20 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
deadchip
#124 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:36:07 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Huge win!!!! Especially to start the summer season off!!! I'm very proud of her! I hope Sasha comes to RG too!
Masha is my #1!!
saggittarian
#125 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:36:41 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Great article. They don't waste any time. Maria will make headlines everywhere. She deserved that win! What a champion! It was great to see the reaction of Thomas Hogstedt who normally doesn't show much emotion. A lot of credit goes to him to make Maria believe in winning again.

Imnumber2
#126 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:39:53 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Originally Posted by: saggittarian Go to Quoted Post

Great article. They don't waste any time. Maria will make headlines everywhere. She deserved that win! What a champion! It was great to see the reaction of Thomas Hogstedt who normally doesn't show much emotion. A lot of credit goes to him to make Maria believe in winning again.

too bad I missed that!! :(

Brebis
#127 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:58:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 218 post(s)

MIGHTY, AMAZING, DESERVED, OUTSTANDING WIN !! CONGRATULATIONS MARIA FOR WINNING YOUR FIRST ITALIAN OPEN TITLE !

1 user thanked Brebis for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/15/2011(UTC)
tgj92
#128 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:56:53 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

PICTURE TIME! 

2 users thanked tgj92 for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 5/15/2011(UTC), katmilr on 5/15/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#129 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:59:24 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

To Whom It May Concern:

Hey, y'all: How's that "Russian Quarter" working out for you? LOL!

MOLODYETS, MASHA!!! :group:

Brebis
#130 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:24:33 PM(UTC)

To Whom It May Concern:

Hi Paul, Question for you, why on earth is Caroline playing so many tournaments. Now she is of to Brussels to play a new tournament ? I can't get it. Not a soul is attacking her number 1 ranking. Not doing well lately , must be very tired. She is digging her own grave  ?? Of what I can count , this year so far she played already 10 tournaments !!

paul_pipkin
#131 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:39:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Brebis Go to Quoted Post

To Whom It May Concern:

Hi Paul, Question for you, why on earth is Caroline playing so many tournaments. Now she is of to Brussels to play a new tournament ? I can't get it. Not a soul is attacking her number 1 ranking. Not doing well lately , must be very tired. She is digging her own grave  ?? Of what I can count , this year so far she played already 10 tournaments !!

In a word: Piotr --who should know better.  This is the way Jankovic pushed herself near burn-out in her early career.

Brebis
#132 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:51:16 PM(UTC)

To Whom It May Concern:

In a word: Piotr --who should know better.  This is the way Jankovic pushed herself near burn-out in her early career.

Yes , a burn out she will get if she continues playing like this. Just stupid, have no other words for it ! Let's hope Maria can continue her great run of this week. Have high hopes for Paris but I think Paris clay is slower !?

paul_pipkin
#134 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:54:45 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Masha on Facebook this afternoon:

What a great week!! I want to share this win at Internazionali BNL d'Italia with all my die hard fans (you know who you are) who never stopped believing that I would win BIG tournaments again. It has been a very long road back and we still have more road to travel!!! 6:58 PM 5/15/2011

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
Stephen H on 5/16/2011(UTC)
Imnumber2
#136 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:05:41 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

I wonder why Maria didn't shake hand with her coach!!

tgj92
#135 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:38:38 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Masha on Facebook this afternoon:

What a great week!! I want to share this win at Internazionali BNL d'Italia with all my die hard fans (you know who you are) who never stopped believing that I would win BIG tournaments again. It has been a very long road back and we still have more road to travel!!! 6:58 PM 5/15/2011

We should savour this moment, it's been a long time coming, we've persevered through her absence, together, and on the whole never doubted her, this is for us, the real fans on here. Congratulations again Maria, the tennis world is yours once more.

"Ohhhh campioneee, the one and only"

paul_pipkin
#133 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:40:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

To Whom It May Concern:

Yes , a burn out she will get if she continues playing like this. Just stupid, have no other words for it ! Let's hope Maria can continue her great run of this week. Have high hopes for Paris but I think Paris clay is slower !?

Depends on the court. Lenglen is watered differently than Chatrier. But overall, I think yes, a little slower. Upside is you are not usually contending with blowing dust. (Though she did encounter that in Paris once.)

paul_pipkin
#137 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:43:20 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Originally Posted by: Imnumber2 Go to Quoted Post

Maybe Thomas doesn't do that. You get the feeling he may be a kinda sedate, remote man--but obviously a consummate professional. 

Imnumber2
#138 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:16:25 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Originally Posted by: Imnumber2 Go to Quoted Post

Maybe Thomas doesn't do that. You get the feeling he may be a kinda sedate, remote man--but obviously a consummate professional. 

Not sure abuot that!! but the normal satisfaction should be for both parties and it make sense that they salut each other!! I hope it`s not an insult.

katmilr
#139 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:21:18 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
I'm so proud of Maria Champion of ROme!!. Just look at all the great players she beat on the way to the title. The win against Woz was very sweet. Now time to conquer Paris. ALLEZ MARIA!
clyde_aya@yahoo.com
#140 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:04:16 PM(UTC)
clyde_aya@yahoo.com

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Now French Open is coming up!

The field for the upcoming Grand Slam is WIDE OPEN. Anyone can win it.

And this year is the TIME for MARIA to go deep into the draw. Her chances of winning it this year is HIGH AS EVER.