logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

29 Pages«<272829
SE Champs Miami - A New Hope
robb
#565 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 10:22:46 AM(UTC)
robb

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
First the plus points after Maria in Miami. Over the past 2 tournaments she has shown more spirit and form ,and has beaten players who would have beaten her easily a few months ago. She didn't/doesn't make excuses when she has been outplayed, and her place back in the top 10 is a reward as much for the fans who have stuck with her particularly over the past three years, as it is for Maria herself.

Minus points......I still think Maria's game is both too inconsistent and too predictable (if that's not a contradiction in terms!). Inconsistent because of the many unforced errors, shots flying long and wide,DF'S etc.......and too predictable in that there isn't enough variety in her play or a 'plan b' if things aren't working out.

That said, I am pretty pleased with the way Maria has fought over the past 2 weeks.......and I will continue to support her, despite that 'screeching'!!
FORGET THE REST..... No matter who or how she plays, I JUST WANT HER TO WIN!!
Brebis
#557 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 10:26:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 362 time(s) in 216 post(s)

paul_pipkin;306781 wrote:

tgj92;306780 wrote:

paul_pipkin;306771 wrote:

Brebis;306770 wrote:
The surprise of today is that Maria will miss Charleston !???? It means she will be out of competition for about 4 weeks , strange as she told in interviews she needs matches to get better . We will see her back in Madrid in May.

Maria's never been on the Charleston draw or given a wild card. Think that was just one of those deals to get more matches if she went out earlier from Miami.

Apparently she was going to ask for a wildcard if she didnt make the semis, so yeah. Everyones had a different story to tell, up until last night when it was finally cleared up for the majority. 

...I'm thinking Stuttgart?! 

Dunno but possible, I guess. The lineup has slack:

http://www.porsche-tenni...man-current_players_2011 

Vera goes to Stuttgart after Moscow Fed Cup April 16-17.

Maria does the Bahamas exo April 16, so she could go on to Germany too.

Maria doesn' t like to play in Germany, as she might bump in to Philli . That would be the drama of the year.

Brebis
#564 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 10:29:30 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 362 time(s) in 216 post(s)

sunstreet;306796 wrote:
I just think it´s great Maria got so deep into the draw of the last two tournaments, and i more or less expected her to let the wild card she was offered at Charleston, go. This will give her more time to prepare for the clay court season, and the energy she saves now by not entering Charleston, can very well turn out to be just as good as money in the bank, energywise that is.
Her ancle might need a couple of days rest as well...
All in all a great last week. I finally got my last grade at the faculty of law at the University of Copenhagen, and can now say i´ve a masters degree in law.
And yes i did party, my poor body/head had a hard time recovering after that. I´m getting to old for it, i guess.
So i think there were two great things happening these last couple of days, me earning my degree and seing Marias name back in top 10.
All in all a great week, and i wish to congratulate Maria on that.
Loved seing those blistering ground strokes and that stamina back on the court. You did great Maria ;-)
well that´s all for me now, my little laptop is still sick, so i´m reduced to using public computers for a couple of more weeks to come. Funny to live in a world without internet, it´s surreal.
Take care everyone. ;-)
Congratulations Sunstreet !! 

1 user thanked Brebis for this useful post.
sunstreet on 4/6/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#566 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 11:08:57 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

robb;306802 wrote:
First the plus points after Maria in Miami. Over the past 2 tournaments she has shown more spirit and form ,and has beaten players who would have beaten her easily a few months ago. She didn't/doesn't make excuses when she has been outplayed, and her place back in the top 10 is a reward as much for the fans who have stuck with her particularly over the past three years, as it is for Maria herself.

Minus points......I still think Maria's game is both too inconsistent and too predictable (if that's not a contradiction in terms!). Inconsistent because of the many unforced errors, shots flying long and wide,DF'S etc.......and too predictable in that there isn't enough variety in her play or a 'plan b' if things aren't working out.

That said, I am pretty pleased with the way Maria has fought over the past 2 weeks.......and I will continue to support her, despite that 'screeching'!!
FORGET THE REST..... No matter who or how she plays, I JUST WANT HER TO WIN!!

Not a contradiction. In any given match, there is a pattern of linkage between the DFS & those specfic errors (net balls too). Record them point by point & you'll see it. They're aware of this & are working on  it, as the patterns have gotten less distinct over time, but still there as yet. See a goof & you pretty much know when another isv coming & sometimes in what order. An opponent's coach is gonna see this & clue his girl what to watch for.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
deadchip
#567 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 1:19:26 PM(UTC)
deadchip

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 33 post(s)

Congrats on the degree Sunstreet!!!! That, I'm sure, was a ton of work!
Rafa and Nole was a heck of a match and it is too bad that someone had to lose. Still wow!!!
No surprise Masha pulling out of Charleston, as she has gotten plenty of match play in March. Hopefully she can be work on her consistency, especially in her serve. As Paul has mentionned, the DF's tend to bring on the UE's as they underrmine her confidence. Still lots of good improvement and she should be feeling positive about her game at this point, though she needs to get into matches a bit quicker..... Hard to win when you spot the opponent a set and 4-0. Great credit to Vika, as she played stupendously and had the consistency that Maria lacked and hit very few errors all match. I was a bit disappointed with Maria's play in the final, biut at least she fought hard and did make it interesting in the end. Good thing hockey playoffs start next week, as I'll have time to kill with Masha not playing.
Philli should start more threads it seems???? Ironic isn't it!!!

Masha is my #1!!
1 user thanked deadchip for this useful post.
sunstreet on 4/6/2011(UTC)
Ruyman_Mashalover
#568 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 5:04:22 PM(UTC)
Ruyman_Mashalover

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well done Maria. The last match was a little bit disappointing, I think she could have done more. But anyway she did great, and I so loved her revenge match against Petkovic. She did very well by going that far in these last two tournaments, which are Premier events. Hope she can have some rest to let her ankle heal 100% and let's hope for a good season on clay, so she can still move up in the rankings. But I'm so happy she's back in the top 10. Love u Maria.