logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

29 Pages«<26272829>
SE Champs Miami - A New Hope
saloabad
#544 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 2:47:46 PM(UTC)
saloabad

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
yeah so what's up with those 3 bit I mean witches, everytime I listen to them I want to just throw something at the TV, they have something against Maria for no reason, they don't talk like that abouy any other player, even if they are struggling. and I remember when Maria played with Andrea in the AU open they didn't even let us watch that game cause they were still in the freaking Kutznesova one that another channel was showing anyway...
ShelbyK
#540 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 2:54:49 PM(UTC)
ShelbyK

Groups: BasicUsers

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)

paul_pipkin;306742 wrote:

saloabad;306735 wrote:
By the way, I hate Mary Joe Fernandez...all her comments are rude even, plus she is just plain annoyins sometimes

Long ago, I labeled MJF, Mary Carillo, & Pammie Schriver the Three Witches of ESPN2. You think MJF is bad, you should have heard Carillo a few years back. Thru '06 & '07, every word outta herf mouth about Masha utterly dripped hatred Since she did the Olympiad with Bob Costas in '08, Carillo has become more of a political heavyweight & has to watch herself.

Actually, the worst venom now is from Pammie, who CBS thankfully spared us today.

I can barely watch these matches on ESPN 2. Pam Shriver makes me wanna lay in the road.

paul_pipkin
#545 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 2:57:50 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

saloabad;306743 wrote:
yeah so what's up with those 3 bit I mean witches, everytime I listen to them I want to just throw something at the TV, they have something against Maria for no reason, they don't talk like that abouy any other player, even if they are struggling. and I remember when Maria played with Andrea in the AU open they didn't even let us watch that game cause they were still in the freaking Kutznesova one that another channel was showing anyway...

The Witches' own bias may play into it, but obviously directed matters of policy are coming down to them in texts from boardrooms. Remember, there is big money riding on all this stuff.

There is virtually NO happenstance in which matches we are allowed to see & not see. The player systematically blacked out at Miami was Vera, the top Russian. You notice that, you KNOW "there's somethin' goin' on" -- So you gotta wonder what ELSE might've been pulled on Zvonareva in the dark. And I gotta ask why her agents, IMG, did nothing about that.

Maria appears to have gone unmolested. But then, it's difficult to target two top Russians at the same time.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
saggittarian
#546 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 3:08:48 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Maria put up a very brave fight in the second set. There were lots of deuces in both sets so I think the scores don't give a true picture of how close the games were. They could have gone either way but today was not Maria's day. They both played brilliantly but at the end Vika was stronger.

I am happy for Maria to be back in the top 10 and hope she continues to stay healthy and play consistently to maintain that level.

paul_pipkin
#547 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 3:23:58 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

saggittarian;306748 wrote:

Maria put up a very brave fight in the second set. There were lots of deuces in both sets so I think the scores don't give a true picture of how close the games were. They could have gone either way but today was not Maria's day. They both played brilliantly but at the end Vika was stronger.

I am happy for Maria to be back in the top 10 and hope she continues to stay healthy and play consistently to maintain that level.

Yes! A lotta deuces, a lotta 30-40s. This was not a short match -- 1:46. 

There IS one upside to not winning Miami. IF she had, the mouthpieces were gonna demand she be ready to take another major like, RIGHT NOW -- up the ante excessively to potentially sow seeds of disappointment, y'know?

Mary Carillo was scripted with a REVISED story on Maria's shoulder injury. I'm not getting into that until I can review the tape & make sure I have the quotes absolutely exact. 

Imnumber2
#548 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 5:11:46 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Well, haven`t watched the match but based on the result I can tell that Maria didn`t start well on the other hand Vicky was well steady as usual. SO well deserved from her part but I'm not gonna celebrate however happy that Maria has improved and that should be a positive sign for her and her coach. I think they can build some great future together, so let's wish them well shall we?

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Dartagnan
#549 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 5:16:54 PM(UTC)
Dartagnan

Was thanked: 1466 time(s) in 919 post(s)

Imnumber2;306759 wrote:

Well, haven`t watched the match but based on the result I can tell that Maria didn`t start well on the other hand Vicky was well steady as usual. SO well deserved from her part but I'm not gonna celebrate however happy that Maria has improved and that should be a positive sign for her and her coach. I think they can build some great future together, so let's wish them well shall we?

Yes you are right. I can add that this time Vika had more Willpower than Masha because she won the final.

"I'd love to open a tennis school for children in my hometown of Sochi." said Sharapova Maria.

giane
#550 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 7:37:55 PM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
it's just the wrong time.. she read Vika's style and game too late.. but though i wasnt able to watch it, based on the interview, she really fought back.. it was shown. :))
tgj92
#551 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:39:22 PM(UTC)
tgj92

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Increasingly positive stuff from Maria in 2011 :-) Most notably the development in her game which Paul has already stated and the steady improvement in her results as the year is progressing  - Quarters at Auckland then 4th round at Melbourne, semis at Indian Wells and now a Miami Final! if she follows that trend we'll be seeing some titles coming her way sooner rather than later!

Now we know she isn't playing Charleston, which i think many of us expected, i'd say its a sensible choice, she deserves/needs a rest. Going to be hard for us going 4 weeks without a real competition, but hey ho we've gone longer without seeing her (; Long may Marias resurgence to the top of the game continue! DAVAI! DAVAI!

Wouldn't be surprised if the rankings on Monday bring a tear to my eye 

Imnumber2
#552 Posted : Saturday, April 02, 2011 9:26:36 PM(UTC)
Imnumber2

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 87 post(s)

Well said guys!! and thanks to all of us sticking together to support Maria during easy and/or tough time. This is what Life is all about "stooding up together throughout a rough time", so GOD BLESS Maria and ALL OF US!!

BTW, If you have a moment I suggest you listen to Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, great SONG!!!

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
Brebis
#553 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:41:38 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 362 time(s) in 216 post(s)
The surprise of today is that Maria will miss Charleston !???? It means she will be out of competition for about 4 weeks , strange as she told in interviews she needs matches to get better . We will see her back in Madrid in May.
paul_pipkin
#554 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:57:55 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Brebis;306770 wrote:
The surprise of today is that Maria will miss Charleston !???? It means she will be out of competition for about 4 weeks , strange as she told in interviews she needs matches to get better . We will see her back in Madrid in May.

There is that Bahamas exo--high profile installation like Atlantis MIGHT arrange some camera.

Maria's never been on the Charleston draw or given a wild card. Think that was just one of those deals to get more matches if she went out earlier from Miami.

http://www.familycirclec...icles/20110402162248.pdf 

Princess will be there, Gorgeous Goerges, Wicky, Kiri & a few other Russians. No broadcast before Thursday but I will post the info on Live Streams. Somedtime during the week streams should also appear from Marbella.

tgj92
#555 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 9:20:52 AM(UTC)
tgj92

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 25 post(s)

paul_pipkin;306771 wrote:

Brebis;306770 wrote:

Maria's never been on the Charleston draw or given a wild card. Think that was just one of those deals to get more matches if she went out earlier from Miami.

Apparently she was going to ask for a wildcard if she didnt make the semis, so yeah. Everyones had a different story to tell, up until last night when it was finally cleared up for the majority. 

...I'm thinking Stuttgart?! 

paul_pipkin
#556 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 11:38:10 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

tgj92;306780 wrote:

paul_pipkin;306771 wrote:

Brebis;306770 wrote:

Apparently she was going to ask for a wildcard if she didnt make the semis, so yeah. Everyones had a different story to tell, up until last night when it was finally cleared up for the majority. 

...I'm thinking Stuttgart?! 

Dunno but possible, I guess. The lineup has slack:

http://www.porsche-tenni...man-current_players_2011 

Vera goes to Stuttgart after Moscow Fed Cup April 16-17.

Maria does the Bahamas exo April 16, so she could go on to Germany too.

Philli
#558 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 2:01:49 PM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
She let it be known that she was going to do the Expo thing right after her last Fed Cup 'experience', so it seems to me that she already knew she was not going to be re-selected to play again after her dismal efforts last time. With a 6 hour time difference between Bahamas and Stuttgart...in the wrong direction... I cant see her flying in on Monday, getting over jet lag and playing on Tuesday. She promised to play Stuttgart for the first time in 2007 and pulled out at the last moment, but promised to be back next year, which she wasn't, and hasn't been ever since. It's one of those tough intense tournaments with big names and playing everyday up til the final. The kind of Tournament she has always avoided.
saggittarian
#560 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:19:07 PM(UTC)
saggittarian

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 39 post(s)

Although I will miss watching Maria playing matches, I think it is wise to have a rest after this intense week in Miami especially having sprained her ankle.

Rafa vs Nole was brilliant today. Shame someone had to win.

paul_pipkin
#559 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:25:26 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Philli;306783 wrote:
She let it be known that she was going to do the Expo thing right after her last Fed Cup 'experience', so it seems to me that she already knew she was not going to be re-selected to play again after her dismal efforts last time. With a 6 hour time difference between Bahamas and Stuttgart...in the wrong direction... I cant see her flying in on Monday, getting over jet lag and playing on Tuesday. She promised to play Stuttgart for the first time in 2007 and pulled out at the last moment, but promised to be back next year, which she wasn't, and hasn't been ever since. It's one of those tough intense tournaments with big names and playing everyday up til the final. The kind of Tournament she has always avoided.

Philli, you followed this stuff for months on the yahoo group & know very well: Masha knew she wouldn't play the April tie before the one in February. Because it was already decided Vera would play the next one. See the new Fed Cup thread in Tennis Chat here. There are a number of players Shamil needs to qualify for London 2012. Maria now needs to play one more tie, wheras Zvonareva needs two.

liliu_wrj@yahoo.com.br
#561 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:07:39 PM(UTC)
liliu_wrj@yahoo.com.br

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)

I would like to see her playing Charleston, but also understand her decision to take a break. Let's see if she will play Stuttgart, or if she will be back on court only for Madrid and Rome tournaments. There is the exibition match in Bahamas. Let's see what will happen.
Victoria will play in Marbella and Caroline in Charleston, I think these two girls have good chances to win these tournaments.

sunstreet
#562 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 4:01:05 AM(UTC)
sunstreet

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I just think it´s great Maria got so deep into the draw of the last two tournaments, and i more or less expected her to let the wild card she was offered at Charleston, go. This will give her more time to prepare for the clay court season, and the energy she saves now by not entering Charleston, can very well turn out to be just as good as money in the bank, energywise that is.
Her ancle might need a couple of days rest as well...
All in all a great last week. I finally got my last grade at the faculty of law at the University of Copenhagen, and can now say i´ve a masters degree in law.
And yes i did party, my poor body/head had a hard time recovering after that. I´m getting to old for it, i guess.
So i think there were two great things happening these last couple of days, me earning my degree and seing Marias name back in top 10.
All in all a great week, and i wish to congratulate Maria on that.
Loved seing those blistering ground strokes and that stamina back on the court. You did great Maria ;-)
well that´s all for me now, my little laptop is still sick, so i´m reduced to using public computers for a couple of more weeks to come. Funny to live in a world without internet, it´s surreal.
Take care everyone. ;-)
3 users thanked sunstreet for this useful post.
paul_pipkin on 4/4/2011(UTC), Brebis on 4/4/2011(UTC), CROUCHING TIGER on 4/4/2011(UTC)
paul_pipkin
#563 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 5:13:24 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

sunstreet;306796 wrote:
I just think it´s great Maria got so deep into the draw of the last two tournaments, and i more or less expected her to let the wild card she was offered at Charleston, go. This will give her more time to prepare for the clay court season, and the energy she saves now by not entering Charleston, can very well turn out to be just as good as money in the bank, energywise that is.
Her ancle might need a couple of days rest as well...
All in all a great last week. I finally got my last grade at the faculty of law at the University of Copenhagen, and can now say i´ve a masters degree in law.
And yes i did party, my poor body/head had a hard time recovering after that. I´m getting to old for it, i guess.
So i think there were two great things happening these last couple of days, me earning my degree and seing Marias name back in top 10.
All in all a great week, and i wish to congratulate Maria on that.
Loved seing those blistering ground strokes and that stamina back on the court. You did great Maria ;-)
well that´s all for me now, my little laptop is still sick, so i´m reduced to using public computers for a couple of more weeks to come. Funny to live in a world without internet, it´s surreal.
Take care everyone. ;-)

Hi, sunstreet Congrats on your degree.  Sorry about the 'puter hassles. Been there, done that.  Look forward to reading your posts again. Yeah, yeah... you're way "old"...  lol! 

1 user thanked paul_pipkin for this useful post.
sunstreet on 4/6/2011(UTC)