logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ATTENTION: I need your reaction regarding this article about Maria Sharapova
globe.markanthony
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:18:05 PM(UTC)
globe.markanthony

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Maria Sharapova fans, I need your reaction regarding this article. For me, I still love Maria! She will come back in season 2011. I included the source in the last part of the article.

Maria Sharapova's lost year

by Chris Chase

This was supposed to be Maria Sharapova's comeback year. After a nagging shoulder injury caused limited success in 2008 and kept her out much of 2009, the Russian tennis star was widely expected to come back with a vengeance in 2010. Finally healthy, Sharapova would return to form and regain her spot among the WTA elite. Or so we thought.

Instead, Sharapova's 2010 has been a massive disappointment. She failed to advance to the quarterfinals of any Grand Slam, performed just as poorly at the top-tier events and won just two tournaments (lower-tier tourneys in Memphis and Strasbourg). Each step of the way, Sharapova was expected to be turning the corner.

The Australian Open was going to be her comeback; she lost in the first round. "She's still finding her game," we said.

Her loss at Wimbledon came to Serena Williams and included a dropped first-set tiebreak that went 9-7. "That's understandable," we said.

At the U.S. Open, Sharapova was considered a favorite. Serena was out, Henin was out and it seemed time for Sharapova to get back to her winning ways in Slams. It wasn't until she was dispatched with ease by No. 1-seed Caroline Wozniacki that the whispers began. They turned into full-fledged shouts when Masha lost in Tokyo to 39-year-old Kimiko Date Krumm and then struggled with a first-round match in China before losing to Elena Vesnina.

One of two things is happening. Sharapova could still be feeling the effects of the shoulder surgery. Maybe all of the confidence she exhibited this summer and pronouncements of health were athlete double-speak and she's been masking her pain the entire time. The 23-year-old hasn't made excuses though, blaming a lack of rhythm and poor training for the recent slide. That's the best-case scenario.

The other one is that Sharapova is on the downside of her career. She's so famous, so rich and so accomplished; could the motivation be gone? It wouldn't be the first time we've seen it happen. Serena and Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, Jennifer Capriati and dozens of other players have gone through periods of disinterest. Sharapova has been playing highly competitive tennis for a decade. It'd be stunning if she wasn't a little burned out.

Maria Sharapova will have to adjust if she wants to become a top-10 player and Grand Slam threat again. She still has the game to compete, but it will need to be tweaked in order to have the same sort of success as before. Sometimes the hardest thing for great athletes to do is accept that they're getting older and that their old weapons don't fire as well as they used to. If Sharapova can do this and find the motivation, she can regain her status as a tennis elite. If not, there might be no coming back from 2010.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/...lost-year?urn=ten-275073

paul_pipkin
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:39:26 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1870 time(s) in 1240 post(s)

Well, well, the wisdom of "Chris Chase" again. [;)] Last article we saw from him, just a few days ago, stridently defended Wozniacki as Number  One, Best in the World, blah, blah, blah -- I seem to recall him arguing the diametric opposite position when it involved Jankovic & Safina...

Just another mouthpiece for the WTA-USTA establishment.

My take? In a word: bullsh!t. [H]

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
katmilr
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:52:29 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Well, well, the wisdom of "Chris Chase" again. [;)] Last article we saw from him, just a few days ago, stridently defended Wozniacki as Number  One, Best in the World, blah, blah, blah -- I seem to recall him arguing the diametric opposite position when it involved Jankovic & Safina...

Just another mouthpiece for the WTA-USTA establishment.

My take? In a word: bullsh!t. [H]

[/quote]

Spot on Paul!

Chris Chase is just a sensationalist "writer" . He sucks.

BowlofriceXD
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:57:27 PM(UTC)

Few readers of Yahoo tennis have any idea what they are talking about anyway

I don't think articles like this detriment Maria's reputation in any way.

She's been on tour long enough to have solidified a fan base. Those who like her will continue to support her.

And Chris Chase. Pffft what a tool 

TTIMJ
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:55:59 AM(UTC)
TTIMJ

You are so deep in denial it's scary.

The article is 200% correct.

globe.markanthony
#3 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 6:15:27 PM(UTC)
globe.markanthony

Thank you people for replying.

I hope this is a motivation for Maria to do her best this coming 2011 season.

SHYRA
#6 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2010 5:13:52 AM(UTC)
SHYRA

i think most of the fans has the same thoughts with the very mediocre year for Maria... I''m a huge fan ans still am, despite a lackluster year.  it's just so hard to cheer for someone who isn't winning matches that she supposed to just pass by without breaking a sweat, but as I think about it, they all improve in time and knowing that at opposite side of the court is the 6'2" Russian grand slam winner, as professional tennis players in any given tournament will definitely give her all to beat her...

it has been very difficult but the article says it all... what made it worse is that big expectations had been made and with that comes with big disappointments...