logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

What is Venus thinking?
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:24:19 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1880 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

I mean, what's up with the Wimbledon champ next entering a Tier IV tournament in  Korea? [:^)] Top players don't do that--they play first and sometimes second tier events. On rare occasion, a third tier. Maria played third tier Istanbul (the only opportunity she had for clay court play in preparation for Roland Garros)  along with Venus and Dementieva (Elena D won). But the decision had already been taken to upgrade Istanbul.

Chasing a guaranteed win, taking away from players who need the money and points, for no better reason than to service the Williams vanity -- that's just wrong. I hope her game comes apart and Szavay or Kiri or someone else deserving shows her up.

[:P] Paul in Texas

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
djidji
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:32:44 PM(UTC)
djidji

Yes,realy I can't understand that.You know,some pro players go to a lower ranked turnaments to avoid best players and to win some turnaments.But,Venus is great champion and she can beat anybody and I would understand if she is in bad form but she plays great.I realy can't understand but i hope she will win it or Maria.
beni
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:52:38 AM(UTC)
beni

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Some tournament organizers pay big names big bucks for that player to enter  a specific tournament. A player could be guaranteed a certain amount of cash if she enters a tournament and this payment is still different from the prize money.
djidji
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:14:51 AM(UTC)
djidji

Does Venus realy needs that money!?!?!?!?!?!?Come on!If she is doing that then what with others?
carmel
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:31:56 PM(UTC)
carmel

yeah!! she's pathetic..
midaso
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:19:02 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Well she might just want to see Korea...some top players come to the tier IV tournament in NZ here,because they like NZ and the tournament - even though there is a higher tiered one on over in Australia...
paul_pipkin
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:32:12 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1880 time(s) in 1250 post(s)

I couldn't dismiss that possibility. I'm pretty sure Elena D played Istanbul at least in part due to a certain sympatico apart from professional considerations. But she was recovering from injury and out of the top ten. Third tier wasn't such a stretch. Maria was way rusty, coming onto clay, and lost to Rezaï in the semis so she and Elena never met. It kinda evened out.

I'm just looking at it like this: Consider Venus's compatriot, Abigail Spears. I don't know a thing about her and, yes, qualifiers have to expect a lot of bad luck of the draw. Still, she puts out to go to Seoul, fights through three qualifying matches only to find herself facing certain defeat from Venus Williams in her first main draw round. (At least she's still in doubles with Castano, that's something.) But Abigail likely won't make her expenses.

IMO, Slam champs fooling around in the lower tiers is a questionable practice, no matter how ready the tournaments are to accommodate them.

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
5e4n
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:25:18 AM(UTC)

I think Venus is scared of Henin,

Venus played she best tennis in the US open semis and Henin beat her fairly comfortably, the score would have benn better if Henin was better at closing out matches.

I think she wants to get back into the rhythm of the tour before she faces Henin again she doesn't want Henin to gain any more confidence by beating her 3 times in a row.

Henin now doesn't fear Serena she has won all of their last GS encounters ands has should've won their match in LA

merylstr@otenet.gr
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2007 5:02:23 PM(UTC)
merylstr@otenet.gr

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
That was indeed a cheesy move. She didn't need to play there. Maybe she did it for the extra cash, mabe to add another title under her name. Either way, she shouldn't have. There are girls that need those tournaments. Either because they are young and they need the experience and the points and the money, or because they are pros that simply can't lay the big tournaments. Do you have any idea how many girls are out there that didn't make it to the top 50 or so?? Thousands. They have to make their living. None of those girls need somebody like Venus take up their sot in the table or going there to show off and then walk away with the cash. Bad, bad choice for Venus....[N][N]
POPOVERS
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:41:11 AM(UTC)
POPOVERS

venus and serena are all insecure of masha...i mean they are really showing there hateness..duh?...i dont care of them...they are not sports...in there games like serena!!!!they always thinkiing that whem they reach the finals they are surely win like in japan open!!!Venus cant believed that she losed..wow gurl your pathethic!