logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages«<111213
Kremlin Cup 2010_16-24 october 2010
paul_pipkin
#216 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 3:23:55 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1878 time(s) in 1248 post(s)
[quote user="katmilr"][quote user="paul_pipkin"]

[quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"]Her sister, Zooey, has even more "starry" eyes. They gonna star together in an episode.[;)]
[/quote]

Really? I gotta catch that. [H] Zooey is to me a little hotter and, despite the Bones character, stranger...

Мария Кириленко (RUS) and Вікторыя Азарэнка (BLR) – yet another

All-Union State FINAL!!! [H]

13:00 Moscow, 11:00 CEST, 10:00 BST (09:00 GMT) 05:00 CDT Sunday

[/quote]

I don't know who I'm rooting for, but I hope it's a great match. Hope the stadium will be packed! 

[/quote]

"Packed" is relative when it's the Olimpiisky. The whole structure can house 80,000 people. When smaller indoor sports are held at the venue, such as tennis or basketball, only 1/4th of the floor space is used. The stadium can hold up to 16,000 people for televised events like Kremlin Cup.

Average size at today's semifinal matches was estimated at 4000 viewing each match--some turnover, of course. For finals involving these popular players, I'd expect 10,000 anyway.

Yeah, the tall guy is Marat--with Kirilenko about halfway between Marat and Tarpischev. [H]

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Nella
#160 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:36:14 PM(UTC)

I saw today's semi final match and the stadium is almost empty !! That looks awfull taking in consideration that most players are from Russia. Russia a tennis nation , no not at all. No atmosphere like in Europe or the States. Now I know why many ( including Maria ) skip this tournament. You don't want to be there.
paul_pipkin
#217 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:51:26 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Nella"]I saw today's semi final match and the stadium is almost empty !! That looks awfull taking in consideration that most players are from Russia. Russia a tennis nation , no not at all. No atmosphere like in Europe or the States. Now I know why many ( including Maria ) skip this tournament. You don't want to be there.[/quote]

If you watched it on a Russian stream, you would find that Eurosport's prolonged promotional breaks are to cut out the non-play time when the host broadcaster RTR scans the crowd. [:P] Sorry, but it was quite a good crowd. Because I was interested in the capacity questions, I took a screen shot of one of those long shots, counted the people in a couple of sections & did the appropriate multiplication. Indeed, there werfe certainly between three and four thousand seated at that point--more for the men's matches.

Of course, four thousand are only 25% of Olimpiisky's 16000 seating area. Sure, they could house the tournament off in the Luzhniki, but they have more regard forf KC than that.

dinara :D
#84 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 8:22:01 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Davai Makiri! [H]

[quote user="katmilr"]

Paul is that Marat I see in the first pic?

In the back?!?

[/quote]

That's Marat! [:D] 

paul_pipkin
#214 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:04:39 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Just an hour to matchtime. [H]

Philli
#237 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:53:07 AM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
It was a really good Match. It had all the makings of being a really exciting three setter, but Maria choked at 4-0 in the second.
paul_pipkin
#215 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:08:12 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Agreed--I stayed glued to this one. Kiri has come a long way but there is more work to do. She has a new coach working with her dad, but I haven't picked up his name yet. Anyway, the win gives Vika good confidence going into Doha.

President Lukashenko called her from Minsk, Congrats to the Belarusian sister, Вікторыя Азарэнка! [H]

ahmhamdi
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:16:47 AM(UTC)

good luck 4 maria  this championship i hope that she win it 
ahmhamdi
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:29:53 AM(UTC)

good luck
giane
#108 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 8:15:39 AM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)

Victoria Azarenka : “ I needed this victory badly”       24.10.2010

“I needed to win in Moscow before the season-ending championship in Doha, it instilled confidence in me”,- Victoria Azarenka said at the press –conference after winning the Kremlin Cup 2010 finals.

“ Masha has upgraded her game big time this year, she’s a fighter and she always fights till the end,- Victoria noted.- The most difficult thing was to live through long rallies as we both started showing aggressive tennis. At the beginning of the second set Masha started playing very well and I lost my game for a while but then I got mad at myself and managed to turn the tide.”

“Of course, most of the crowd was cheering for Masha, but I was feeling the support of my friends and family.”- she said. According to Victoria, she has already received congratulations over the phone from Belorussian President Alexander Lukashenko, presidential administration officials, from the Belorussian Olympic Committee and from her friends.

“ I definitely would like to come back to Moscow next year to defend my title,- Victoria said.- If I’m healthy I’ll definitely come as I like playing here in Moscow.”

giane
#109 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 8:17:06 AM(UTC)
giane

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
[quote user="giane"]

Victoria Azarenka : “ I needed this victory badly”       24.10.2010

“I needed to win in Moscow before the season-ending championship in Doha, it instilled confidence in me”,- Victoria Azarenka said at the press –conference after winning the Kremlin Cup 2010 finals.

“ Masha has upgraded her game big time this year, she’s a fighter and she always fights till the end,- Victoria noted.- The most difficult thing was to live through long rallies as we both started showing aggressive tennis. At the beginning of the second set Masha started playing very well and I lost my game for a while but then I got mad at myself and managed to turn the tide.”

“Of course, most of the crowd was cheering for Masha, but I was feeling the support of my friends and family.”- she said. According to Victoria, she has already received congratulations over the phone from Belorussian President Alexander Lukashenko, presidential administration officials, from the Belorussian Olympic Committee and from her friends.

“ I definitely would like to come back to Moscow next year to defend my title,- Victoria said.- If I’m healthy I’ll definitely come as I like playing here in Moscow.”

[/quote]

congrats to Vicky! such a victory though quite sad that Makiri didnt get the title! :)) 

DavaiMashenka
#78 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:13:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Oops.. there's a spoiler! But I will check out my recording, and enjoy *watching* makiri do her thing.

DM

katmilr
#136 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:00:52 PM(UTC)
katmilr

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Congrats Vika. Sorry Makiri  , better luck next time.
#85 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:16:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Oh Kiri! [:(] Anyway, congrats Vika! 
paul_pipkin
#220 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:18:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="dinara :D"]Oh Kiri! [:(] Anyway, congrats Vika! [/quote]

Yeah--I think this one came down to who wanted it more, enough to hold it together, and today that turned out to be Vika. Silly-assed ES commentators issued the preposterous statement, "We've never questioned Azarenka's mental toughness..." [:^)] R-r-r-ight... not since her last seizure of paranoid delusion. lol. [:P] Vika can choke like a champ.

But not today. [Y]

shrapi
#256 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 12:19:55 AM(UTC)
shrapi

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

" most of the crowd was cheering for Masha"

it was so nerving, I turned the sound off.

To hear this Maria - it hurts.

( because it was not "our" Maria )

RedStead
#242 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 7:53:39 AM(UTC)

agreed
paul_pipkin
#259 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:05:45 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Dartagnan: While Masha may not play in 2011, this is a large longtime KC thread. Would you please just change it to "Kremlin Cup" so we can continue to use it? (Just change the subject on the first message where you initiated the thread & it will change the whole thing.)

é òSoviet Sport reports:

Zvonareva will lead Kremlin Cup seeding

September 7, 2011, 16:32 

Russian woman Vera Zvonareva will be seeded first in the traditional Moscow tournament "Kremlin Cup", which will be held from 15 to 23 October 2011 in the sports complex "Olympic".

In the main draw, the women's tournament also provided the following tennis players Marion Bartoli (France), Samantha Stosur (Australia), Jelena Jankovic (Serbia), Agnieszka Radwanska (Poland), Dominic Cibulkova (Slovakia), Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia), Roberta Vinci (Italy ), Lucius Safarova (Czech Republic), Nadia Petrova (Russia), Jarmila Gajdosova (Australia), Kaia Kanepi (Estonia), Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (Spain), Alona Bondarenko (Ukraine), Sara Errani (Italy), Polona Herzog (Slovenia) Elena Vesnina (Russia), Klara Zakopalova (Czech Republic), Tsvetana Pironkova (Bulgaria), Ksenia Pervak ​​(Russia).

Notice I don't see Azarenka there yet.