logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<7891011>»
Laura Robson!! :)
mashadabest
#113 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:10:08 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Thanks for the links and info Paul.  I'm gonna try and watch some of it, but I have to read 3 chapters of 2 textbooks for tomorrow, not sure if I'll get time. [:(]
CROUCHING TIGER
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:21:42 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
[quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"]There will be more and more Laura's in the future. Since last year the Brits installed a special "youthprogram" with the former Belgian Fed-topcoach at the head. In a few years his young pupils will swarm out over the international tenniscourts. Patience Dee, they're on the highway[H][/quote] Tell me, Dee, was i wright or wrong? What do they think 'bout those "new" names in female tennis? Be honest if u please; thanx.[H]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
mashadabest
#114 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:50:42 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"][quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"]There will be more and more Laura's in the future. Since last year the Brits installed a special "youthprogram" with the former Belgian Fed-topcoach at the head. In a few years his young pupils will swarm out over the international tenniscourts. Patience Dee, they're on the highway[H][/quote] Tell me, Dee, was i wright or wrong? What do they think 'bout those "new" names in female tennis? Be honest if u please; thanx.[H][/quote]

Yeah you were right again Tiger!  Well the media are all over Laura, even though there are actually 3 other female British players ranked way higher than her in the rankings (Elena Baltacha, Katie O'Brien and Anne Keothavong all in the top 100 I think) but for some reason the media loves Laura.  We also have Heather Watson but as far as I have seen she doesn't really get that much attention.  Laura's our little star!

paul_pipkin
#164 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:09:30 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Was thanked: 1866 time(s) in 1236 post(s)

They moved the doubles match to MCA. It just finished. I was unable to find a live stream. Kiri/Agni defeated Laura/Sally easily, 64 61. No clue whether Brit Eurosport will still run it after Djokovic-Tsonga. If so, it may be only possible to access stream thru SopCast, TvAnts & the like. The main protocols ARE working.

BRITISH EUROSPORT had announced they would SHOW:

Women's Doubles - Quarterfinals
Maria Kirilenko (RUS)[15]             DEF.         Sally Peers (AUS)   6 6
Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)[15]              Laura Robson (GBR)   4 1

Streams n SopCast, TvAnts, less likely now at http://www.fromsport.com/c-4.html Also http://www.atdhe.net/ ,  http://www.livescorehunt...com/Livescores/Livescore 

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
mashadabest
#115 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:17:11 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

Oh typical.  This Aussie Open is garbage!  Oh well she's still in the Juniors, hopefully she can have a good run there.
CROUCHING TIGER
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:34:31 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2862 time(s) in 1718 post(s)
Thanx Dee[:P]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
martinnnn
#44 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:19:14 PM(UTC)
martinnnn

Paul you're pathetic.

Who don't you have an opinion on? Jesus...I'm over visiting the forum and reading your pompous, twisted, anti-everything, except Russia, the Russian Fed Cup team and of course Ms Sharapova.  

Of course you would slate the Brits - why wouldn't you? You probably wouldn't even understand how we speak if you came here. One Texan jerk was enough for 8 years - I don't need to listen to another.

paul_pipkin
#153 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:08:31 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

C'mon, martinnnn, say what you really feel. Say, didn't you used to pose as French, a year or two ago?

And why did you pick the Robson thread to cough up your vitriol?

Laura won her Juniors match 61 60 and moves to the semis. [:)] Caution--that pair of Czech sisters coming up, Karolina & Kristyna Pliskova, are apparently ones to be taken seriously.

I like Laura and resent that I'm denied seeing her just because it was a match where there was a probable Russian winner.

Yeah, I like Laura, Wicky, the Princess, fond of spoiled brat Cornet, lotsa others. Your problem is NOT who I don't like but who I mainly like--Russians. Whikch puts you in a real weird position vis-a-vis Maria.

denio
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:06:54 AM(UTC)
denio

I haven't seen her on tv. She must be unpopular.
paul_pipkin
#154 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:32:50 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Your reality is what you see on TV, hunh? You twelve years old or what?

You don't know Robson because she's a Junior. She won Junior Wimbledon not long ago--just coming on the main tour.

paul_pipkin
#155 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 10:42:01 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Schedule for Day 13: Saturday, 30 January 2010
Rod Laver Arena
13.00hrs Saturday Melbourne = 02:00 GMT = Time 03:00 CET = 21:00 Friday eve EST.
1. Junior Boys' Singles - Finals
Sean Berman (AUS) v. Tiago Fernandes (BRA)[14]
2. Junior Girls' Singles - Finals
Laura Robson
(GBR) v. Karolina Pliskova (CZE)[6}

Congrats to Laura for making the FINAL. [H] Now she must play the other of the Pliskova twins. But as she defeated Kristyna 63 61 in 1:05, I wouldn't think she'd have a lotta trouble on Saturday. Here, there can't be THAT much difference. lol!

mashadabest
#109 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 6:35:10 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="martinnnn"]

Paul you're pathetic.

Who don't you have an opinion on? Jesus...I'm over visiting the forum and reading your pompous, twisted, anti-everything, except Russia, the Russian Fed Cup team and of course Ms Sharapova.  

Of course you would slate the Brits - why wouldn't you? You probably wouldn't even understand how we speak if you came here. One Texan jerk was enough for 8 years - I don't need to listen to another.

[/quote]

Woah calm down man. [:|] Just cos you have a different opinion on stuff doesn't mean you have to be rude about it. People having different opinions is a good thing after all, think how boring and dull life would be if everyone agreed on everything.  Anyway Paul is one of the most valuable and helpful members of this forum, I can't count the number of times he has helped me and so many other people here, hence he really doesn't deserve to be spoken to like that!  OK just wanted to quickly say that, now I will butt out cos this isn't really any of my business.  I do really need to keep out of other people's business lol. [:S]

Congrats to Laura for making the final!  I really hope she manages to win, and not finish runner up like last year.  She is the only person that can save this Aussie Open for me, otherwise it will be a complete piece of garbage! [:|]  GOOD LUCK GIRL - KICK SOME BUTT!!!  Be Britain's hero (although they will hardly mention her in the news of course cos our "beloved" Murray is in the final [8-)]).

paul_pipkin
#161 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 7:18:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Hi, Dee. [;)] Keep fingers crossed that a stream will turn up on the source pages in an hour or two. Yeah, it's scandalous that y'all don't have a broadcast of her match. But one thing is the same between your system & hours--when they're hell-bent to make you watch one thing & one thing alone, you can bet it's because too many folks are tuning out!
paul_pipkin
#156 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:07:38 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Congrats to Laura for making the FINAL. [H] Now she must play the other of the Pliskova twins. But as she defeated Kristyna 63 61 in 1:05, I wouldn't think she'd have a lotta trouble on Saturday. Here, there can't be THAT much difference. lol!

[/quote]

...oops. [:^)] Pliskova 61 76(5). S'pose Karolina got pissed, y'think? Sorry 'bout that. Congrats to the Czech girl.

mashadabest
#91 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:43:06 AM(UTC)
mashadabest

Arghhhhh can't believe she lost, and she probably had the whole crowd behind her as well grrrrr.  Oh well reaching the final (again) was a great achievement, just hope she can actually go one step further next time! [:(]
paul_pipkin
#157 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:06:54 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I had known nothing of the sisters Pliskova. Turns out, Laura's opposition was not insignificant. Age aside, you might question whether a professional ITF player should still be permitted to enter juniors. NYT blog before the match:

January 29, 2010, 2:46 pm — Updated: 2:46 pm -->

Juniors Watch: Robson Reaches Another Final

Laura Robson, who played on Britain’s Hopman Cup team with Andy Murray to start the 2010 season, has replicated his success at the Australian Open by reaching Saturday’s girls singles championship final. The Australian-born left-hander, a finalist in Melbourne last year, may not be seeded, but she is the favorite when she takes the court against No. 6-seeded Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic.

Robson, 16, the 2008 Wimbledon girls champion, is competing in her sixth junior Slam, while the 17-year-old Pliskova is playing her first, giving Robson an edge, especially in dealing with the intimidating setting of Rod Laver Arena.

Pliskova, whose twin sister lost to Robson in the semifinals, had not played a junior tournament in over two years before this month, concentrating instead on the International Tennis Federation’s women’s circuit, where she won two $25,000 tournaments last year.

Pliskova’s Sony Ericsson W.T.A. ranking of No. 222, the best among any of the 64 competitors, gained her entry into the girls championships and earned her the No. 6 seed. A straight-set victory over No. 3-seeded Daria Gavrilova of Russia in the quarterfinals was her best win of the week; she did not lose a set until Friday’s semifinal, a 2-6, 7-6 (6), 6-2 battle with unseeded Hao Chen Tang of China.

Robson, who reached the quarterfinals of the women’s doubles with the Australian Sally Peers, dropped her only set of the tournament in the second round, and has dominated since, losing only five games in her quarterfinal and semifinal victories.

While Robson has become a favorite of Australian fans because of her heritage and to the many close relatives she has there, she has competed for Britain throughout her junior career and firmly rejects any speculation that she might switch allegiances.

mashadabest
#92 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:53:41 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

While Robson has become a favorite of Australian fans because of her heritage and to the many close relatives she has there, she has competed for Britain throughout her junior career and firmly rejects any speculation that she might switch allegiances.

[/quote]

Hmm yeah I love Australia and Australian people, but they are really beginning to piss me off with all this "Laura should play for us" bullcrap!  And thank God she's not gonna switch, cos she's my favourite British player since Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski. [:)]

And woah that Pliskova girl has quite a high ranking, she's ranked waaay higher than Laura! [:O] In my opinion Pliskova shouldn't have entered the juniors. [:(]

paul_pipkin
#158 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:35:50 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I think it's questionable. Obviously the rules allow it, but hell--this is a grown woman playing fully professional.

Nah, Laura won't switch. And yeah, the Aussies are getting into the same sorta filtching of athletes as the Yanks--don't hesitate to take from us, too, which is I guess a form of justice. [:P] The same blog continues:

"It’s a bit more complicated for the boys finalist Sean Berman, who received a Tennis Australia wild card into the tournament, but is still considered to have a United States affiliation by the I.T.F.

"Berman, who was born in South Africa and spent his pre-teen years in New Zealand, trained and competed in southern California for the past three years. Some months ago, he and his parents moved to Australia, where he won the 16-and-under boys championship in December, and he has begun the process of becoming a naturalized citizen there.

"So should the 17-year-old continue his streak of upsets — he has beaten the No. 16, No. 3, No. 10 and No. 6 seeds in succession — by recording a win over No. 14-seeded Tiago Fernandes of Brazil in the final, Tennis Australia and the country’s press will claim its third boys champion in the past four years. However, until the U.S.T.A. releases Berman, which it intends to do once all the paperwork has been completed, the I.T.F will continue to show his nationality as American."

http://straightsets.blog...n-reaches-another-final/

mashadabest
#93 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:07:31 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

Holy Crap!  That girl looks old! [:|]

And are you allowed to switch to any country?  Or do you have to be born or living in the country for some time in order to play for them? [:^)]

paul_pipkin
#159 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:26:18 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I dunno what rules would regulate it except IOC/ITF rules.

Particular countries cut a lotta slack on the athletic thing and it sounds like tennis is fairly sedate compared to the wooly-wooly in some sports.

We hire Canadian figure skaters, fix 'em up with a time-share on the New York side of Niagara Falls--State Dept fast-tracks 'em some "dual citizenship" & you may see them skating for us in Vancouver. Some of this gets to be a real scream. [:P]