logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
KONTRAKT WITH KAZAKHSTAN -- Shvedova, Voskoboeva, etc
paul_pipkin
#26 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 11:17:15 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

Kazakhstanis make the semifinals at Pattaya City!

Yaroslava Shvedova will play defending champion Vera Zvonareva.
Sesil Karatantcheva will play local hero Tamarine Tanasugarn.

Court 1 (from 15.00hrs) (08:00 GMT) [03:00 EST]
1. Sesil Karatantcheva vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn
2. Vera Zvonareva vs. Yaroslava Shvedova
3. Chakvetadze/Pervak vs. Craybas/Goerges

There are STREAMS at fromsport, livescorehunter, etc. [8-|]

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#27 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:08:38 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

To throw some context on this, the recent Vancouver Olympics revealed that the kontraktniki are not limited to tennis. Many Kazakhstanis who hail from the Russian Federation were prominent in the Winter Games and Elena Khrustaleva won a Silver Medal in the 15km individual biathlon event.

Cheers to Kazakhstan. [H]

paul_pipkin
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:10:35 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Miami: Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) d. Andrea Petkovic (GER) 60 57 75

As predicted, Shvedova v Petkovic turned out an interesting match. Wish we could have seen it. We MIGHT get to see Yaroslava's next match against Agnie Radwanska--and see if she can move on to the quarterfinals.

IF broadcast, that will be touted as a duel of Westernized Poland versus... what? The Russia-Kazakhstan Customs Union? When the commentariat is FORCED (and I do mean forced) to remark on Shvedova, they make sure to wail about the Kazakhstan Contract.

LOL! We're talkin' Yankees criticizing a country for hiring athletes! Can you believe that? The outfit that would have no hockey without Russian players, no figureskating without Canadians, & I won't even start on totally globalized basketball! [H]

paul_pipkin
#29 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:37:29 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

The Barcelona streams have proven a great opportunity to watch Yaroslava. [8-|] Three matches streamed so far and there will be another on Friday--as she has now made the semifinals. She will play Schiavone. Realistically, we saw in Marbella that she's not yet up to Pennetta on clay. But Francesca is not Flavia. She may have beaten Suárez Navarro 64 64, but she took two hours to do it. Come out there underestimating Shvedova and doing some of her screwy stuff, who knows? If Yaroslava takes the first set, bets are off.

Francesca Schiavone vs. Yaroslava Shvedova NB 14.00hrs (12:00 GMT) [13:00 BST-UK] 08:00 EDT-US

Davaiii, Yaroslava!!! [H] ДАВАЙ Ярослава!!!

It's chilly in Barcelona, so you won't see her like this--but still my favorite picture: [H]

paul_pipkin
#30 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 6:11:01 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

No such luck. Francesca came out with her game on & didn't get crazy. [:|] Oh, well, semis ain't bad and I got to see her play four times.

Looks like a control & nerves issue. Yaroslava can now play long rallies of high quality--right up to the last shot when she hits it wide. [;)]

She has a new coach. Frenchman Olivier Vanneste. I don't know anything about him expect he used to work with Turkish player İpek Şenoğlu--Yaroslava's frequent doubles partner, so I guess that's how they connected.

Vanneste with İpek Şenoğlu at the 2008 USO: 

paul_pipkin
#31 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:32:06 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Appears WTA can no longer ignore her. [H]

Getting to Know... Yaroslava Shvedova

Tall and blessed with athletic genes, Russian-born Yaroslava Shvedova has been making steady progress on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour of late. Now 22, she won her first Tour singles title at Bangalore in 2007, and the doubles at Pattaya City in early 2009, but the big headlines came at last year's US Open where she saved two match points on her way to upsetting world No.5 Jelena Jankovic in the second round. This year Shvedova, who switched nationality to Kazakhstan in 2008, reached the last 16 at Miami and the semis at Barcelona - results that have her knocking on the door of the Top 30.

We caught up with Yaroslava during last week's Internazionali BNL d'Italia, where she was competing on a new career-high ranking of No.34 but fell to No.6 seed Elena Dementieva in the second round.

Tell us about your upbringing.
YS: I was born and raised in Moscow and its suburbs. My mother, Nurzia, was a world champion runner in 100m and my father, Vyacheslav, was her coach. I have an older brother, Pavel, who is 27. He's a journalist.

When did you start playing tennis?
YS: I was four-and-a-half, though I was eight when I became more serious about it. I remember living on the other side of Moscow, about an hour from the tennis courts, and traveling by myself via subway, bus and walking to get there in the middle of winter… We moved out of Moscow for a while, and my dad coached me, but there wasn't any competition for me in the town, so when I was 13, we moved back to Moscow and I started practicing at the Spartak club for two years - living with my brother, who was at university. Then I moved to CSKA club, as they allowed more court time and I could practise against some of the top juniors. When I made the junior national team the Russian Federation also helped me.

What is your coaching situation at present?
YS: My coach is Olivier Vanneste; before him I worked for a while with Tomas Iwanski, the Kazakhstan Fed Cup Coach.

What do you consider you strengths as a player?
YS: My power and my agility.

What would you like to improve upon?
YS: Precision and tactics.

What are your goals for this year?
YS: My goal is to be in the Top 32… to be seeded in Grand Slams!

Best tennis memory?
YS: There are a couple. Winning my first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles title at Bangalore in 2007. I was supposed to be playing qualifying but someone pulled out so I moved into the main draw as a lucky loser. Meantime my luggage had been lost by the airline and all I had was my racquets and sneakers. Luckily my bags were found before I had to play my first match, because I had borrowed some oversized men's clothes that didn't really fit! In the semis I played Sania Mirza in a night match with the crowd crazy against me, and I remember being happy that they cheered for me afterwards. When I beat Mara Santangelo in the final I had tears of happiness for the first time in my life. The only problem was that I couldn't stop crying, to the point that they had to delay the ceremony!

Beating Jankovic on Arthur Ashe Stadium at the US Open last year is also a great memory. Let's say both memories are on the same level!

As a youngster, did you have a tennis idol?
YS: I remember watching Anna Kournikova on TV when I was at home from school, sick, and I also liked watching Amélie Mauresmo because of her one-handed backhand. It's strange because now, I am playing with the same girls that I grew up watching and tried to play like.

What do you like most about being on the Tour?
YS: It's my life, and I am enjoying it so much, travelling to see new places and meeting new people.

Favorite surface?
YS: Hardcourts. That said, my favorite tournaments are Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

One word to describe yourself?
YS: I know it in Russian but I don't know how to say it in English!

What quality do you value most in other people?
YS: Somebody who is caring, and can be a good friend, which is a two-way street.

What do you like to do to relax?
YS: I enjoy photography. At the suggestion of a friend who is a photographer, I bought a good camera in Japan. I love to take pictures, often on site at tournaments, and of course of my friends.

If not tennis…
YS: I cannot live without sports, so for sure I would be playing some kind of sport. When I was growing up, my mom was training with my dad. We didn't have the money for daycare or a babysitter, so they would always take me to the club or stadium where all the other coaches would help watch over me. As I grew older they introduced me to all sorts of sports - basketball, swimming, running, even skiing. I still do a lot of running - it is in my blood.

If you were stuck on a desert island and could only have one luxury with you, what would you want it to be?
YS: My boyfriend! Or maybe some Robbie Williams music.

http://www.sonyericssonw...tingToKnow/Read/0,,12781~2047962,00.html

paul_pipkin
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:15:34 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

For the Glorious Nation--for the Union State! [H]

Yaroslava, with French coach Olivier Vanneste, defeated Agnie Radwanska 75 72 to advance to the 3rd Round at Roland Garros. Shvedova must now contend with Alisa Kleybanova--perhaps on Saturday. 

paul_pipkin
#33 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:13:05 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Shvedova def Kleybanova 62 46 60! [:O] Sorry I didn't get up to see this. Condolences to Alisa but [

ДАВАЙ Ярослава!!! [H]

Before: Yaroslava, with French coach Olivier Vanneste, defeated Agnie Radwanska 75 72 to advance to the 3rd Round at Roland Garros. Shvedova must now contend with Alisa Kleybanova--perhaps on Saturday. 

paul_pipkin
#34 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:20:14 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Shvedova def Kleybanova 62 46 60! [:O] Sorry I didn't get up to see this. Condolences to Alisa but [

Court Suzanne Lenglen MONDAY
11.00hrs CET (10:00 BST) (09:00 GMT) [05:00 EDT]
  Men's Singles - Fourth Round
  Teimuraz Gabashvili(RUS) vs.   Jurgen Melzer(AUT)[22]
  Women's Singles - Fourth Round
  Justine Henin(BEL)[22] vs.   Samantha Stosur(AUS)[7]
  Fernando Verdasco(ESP)[7] vs.   Nicolas Almagro(ESP)[19]
  Jarmila Groth(AUS) vs.   Yaroslava Shvedova(KAZ)

All we can really bet is that her match will be played sometime after 18:00 CET. There will surely be streams.

ДАВАЙ Ярослава!!! [H]

Before: Yaroslava, with French coach Olivier Vanneste, defeated Agnie Radwanska 75 72 to advance to the 3rd Round at Roland Garros. 

paul_pipkin
#35 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 1:31:50 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

SHVEDOVA DEF GROTH 64 63 in 1:08. YAROSLAVA HAS MADE the RG QUARTERFINALS!!! [

Court Suzanne Lenglen MONDAY
11.00hrs CET (10:00 BST) (09:00 GMT) [05:00 EDT]
  Teimuraz Gabashvili(RUS) vs.   Jurgen Melzer(AUT)[22]
  Justine Henin(BEL)[22] vs.   Samantha Stosur(AUS)[7]
  Fernando Verdasco(ESP)[7] vs.   Nicolas Almagro(ESP)[19]
  Jarmila Groth(AUS) vs.   Yaroslava Shvedova(KAZ)

All we can really bet is that her match will be played sometime after 18:00 CET. There will surely be streams.

ДАВАЙ Ярослава!!! [H]

Before: Yaroslava, with French coach Olivier Vanneste, defeated Agnie Radwanska 75 72 to advance to the 3rd Round at Roland Garros. 

paul_pipkin
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 01, 2010 5:46:16 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Day 11: Wednesday, 2 June Court Suzanne Lenglen

14.00hrs CET (13:00 BST) (12:00 GMT) [08:00 EDT]
  Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
  Jelena Jankovic(SRB)[4] vs.   Yaroslava Shvedova(KAZ)
  Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
  Jurgen Melzer(AUT)[22] vs.   Novak Djokovic(SRB)[3]
  Mixed Doubles - Fourth Round
  Vania King(USA) /  Christopher Kas(GER) vs.   Yaroslava Shvedova(KAZ) /  Julian Knowle(AUT)

You might catch JJ & Yaroslava's match on Eurosport 2--otherwise entirely by streams. Don't expect much of that one on ESPN2. So far, the Yanks have avoided speaking of Yaroslava even one time! Stick out tongue 

ДАВАЙ Ярослава!!! [H]

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

[/quote]
paul_pipkin
#37 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:44:19 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

So Yaroslava lost to JJ 75 64. Shvedova played a quite presentable match. shrapi noted the failures at critical moments and--yes---some of it was bad luck. But we're looking mostly at long & wide errors that call for enhanced control over her own power & ball placement. Get that & she will move quickly into the top ranks.

But look back to where she was a couple of years ago before she took the Contract--and quarterfinalist at the FO ain't bad!

WAIT! There may be another opportunity to see her! YAROSLAVA & JULIAN KNOWLE (AUT) HAVE REACHED THE FINAL IN MIXED DOUBLES. [Y]

ДАВАЙ Ярослава!!! [H]

Day 11: Wednesday, 2 June Court Suzanne Lenglen

14.00hrs CET (13:00 BST) (12:00 GMT) [08:00 EDT]
  Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
  Jelena Jankovic(SRB)[4] vs.   Yaroslava Shvedova(KAZ)
  Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
  Jurgen Melzer(AUT)[22] vs.   Novak Djokovic(SRB)[3]
  Mixed Doubles - Fourth Round
  Vania King(USA) /  Christopher Kas(GER) vs.   Yaroslava Shvedova(KAZ) /  Julian Knowle(AUT)

Eurosport 2 showed the match. Don't expect much of that one on ESPN2. So far, the Yanks have avoided speaking of Yaroslava even one time! Stick out tongue There MIGHT be a stream of her mixed doubles. Check fromsport, etc.

paul_pipkin
#38 Posted : Thursday, June 03, 2010 4:13:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Kazakhstan’s Yaroslava Shvedova was a surprise quarter-finalist at this year’s French Open, eventually beaten by No.4 Jelena Jankovic. These are her impressions of her 2010 Roland Garros…

Shvedova was the surprise quarter-finalist of this year’s event, upsetting two seeds – No.8 Agnieszka Radwanska and No.28 Alisa Kleybanova enroute and breezing in to the final eight with a comfortable win over Australia’s Jarmila Groth (6-4, 6-3).

“It’s fantastic to be in the quarter-final, it’s a big step forward in my career. But I want more. I don’t want to stop here,” she says.

"I want to be World No.1"

It is the first time the 22-year old, ranked No.36 in the world, has made a splash at the French Open. “I am confident,” she says. “My hard work has paid off, and I have good reason to believe in myself. I’m not afraid. I can do this. A lot of women tennis players are able to win Grand Slams. So why not me? I want to be world No.1, so I have to win big tournaments.”

After splitting with coach Tomasz Iwanski (also captain of the Kazakh Fed Cup team) in late 2009, Shvedova began the search for a coach who could help move her game to the next level.

She began working with French coach Olivier Vanneste (who had been coaching Turkish player Ipek Şenoğlu) and under his guidance, rose from No.80 to No.36 in the world rankings.

“Olivier is nice and calm. I like the way he trains. He manages to push me to my limits. And France is one of the best places to learn tennis, so it gives me a technical advantage,” explains Shvedova, who lived in Paris for two years when she was 10.

In the meantime, the athletic Shvedova calls Kazakhstan home (she switched nationality in 2008). Soon after winning her fourth-round match, she was congratulated by the president of the Kazakh Tennis Federation. The whole country is behind her. And “he’s even going to come to Paris to cheer me on in person,” she says with a grin.

She admits she became Kazak * “because it gave me a better chance at the Fed Cup and the Olympic Games. I live in Moscow, but I’m in Kazakhstan a lot. I feel good there, and I have fantastic working conditions. I get a lot of support there, I get loads of encouragement.”

(From Roland Garros site.) * small quibble: one does not "become Kazak"--that is an ethnic group. Yaroslava "became" a Kazakhstani. [8-|]

paul_pipkin
#39 Posted : Monday, June 07, 2010 12:32:19 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yaroslava's first Birmingham opponent is Sesil Karatantcheva, Bulgar Kazakhstani! [8-|] If she wins there (likely), Shvedova will play either Rybarikova or Makarova.

Sesil Karatantcheva Biography
As a biography, Sesil Karatantcheva was born on August 8, 1989 in Sofia, Bulgaria. She is 18 years old. Sesil burst on the tennis scene in September 2003 when she was only 14 years old. She had competed in her first professional tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria. That year, she won three ITF titles.

In 2004, she competed in a WTA tournament in Indian Wells, California and defeated Alexandra Stevenson in the first round and beat out 17th seed Magui Serna in the second round. She played against then 16th seed Maria Sharapova, but was beat out in three sets.

Sesil made it to the quarterfinals of a tournament in Gold Coast, Australia in 2005. She qualified for the Australian Open, but lost to Sharapova yet again, this time in the first round. During the French Open in 2005, she beat out #19 seed Shinobu Asagoe in the second round and gained worldwide attention when she beat out Venus Williams in the third round. She beat Emanuelle Gagliardi in the fourth round but lost to Lkhovtseva in the quarterfinals.

It was reported on December 20, 2005 that Sesil had failed a drug test earlier in the year at the French Open. In January 2006, The ITF issued a two year ban on Sesil after two tests came back positive for a steroid, nandrolone. (Claimed the positive result was due to a pregnancy.) 

Returning to the Tour in 2008, she won Fez and soon took the Kazakhstan contract.

paul_pipkin
#40 Posted : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:56:05 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

For the Glorious Nation! Cool 

Well, well, look'a here: (Q) Sesil Karatantcheva (KAZ) d. (6) Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) 64 64! I'd expected to see Yaroslava play Masha in the quarters but the Bulgar Kazakhstani has broken out! Ooo-kay, then... Sesil's next opponent is Rybarikova--see how she does there.

CROUCHING TIGER
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:56:48 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
Pity she lost. Strange, 'cos just by looking in her eyes one can clearly see she has ALL the necessary elements of a champion to be.[H]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
paul_pipkin
#41 Posted : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:18:53 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="CROUCHING TIGER"]Pity she lost. Strange, 'cos just by looking in her eyes one can clearly see she has ALL the necessary elements of a champion to be.[H]
[/quote]

Oh yeah. No question about it--that's why the Western media blackout on Yaroslava has intensified. [:P] What we got here... the conditions at Birmingham probably play in, but hey, this match was 1:14. You look around & see Chaki take out the strong Petkovic by the same score in only three minutes more & get the notion that a couple of new champs came out there underestimating their opponents...? [;)]

Sesil was ready to grab opportunity, that's for sure.

CROUCHING TIGER
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 12:31:26 PM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
Normally, Masha should've played sooner this afternoon. They finally found the problem they already had yesterday on Centre. The "covers" that keep the water away from the court so the grass doesn't get too wet didn't work properly.[I] "No s#x please, we're British"...jeez!! [8-|]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
paul_pipkin
#42 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:07:43 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Sesil Karatantcheva, Bulgar Kazakhstani, defs Rybarikova 62 76(3) 62 in two hours. (Should've been two sets.)

Masha's quarterfinal opponent, hopefully on Eurosport 2. [co]

paul_pipkin
#43 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:23:09 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

For the Glorious Nation! Cool 

Yaroslava dismissed Parra Santonja 61 62. Her second round match at 's-Hertogenbosch should be especially interesting--against Anastasia Rodionova of Australia.

Russian kontraktnika versus Russian émigrée. [;)]

Centre Court 11.00hrs CET 10:00 BST 09:00 GMT [05:00 EDT]

IMO, it's about the only interesting women's match shown from Holland on Wednesday. Henin will play Vinci in the third match on Centre, but I don't really care.