logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Stuttgart
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 2:24:55 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

Big Congrats to Dementieva who upset Mauresmo. True that Amélie has been off her game but still, Elena's 62 75 straight sets ain't bad. Elena D will next play either Daniela or Lucie, then Hénin.

Nadia prevailed over Malek and Serena double bageled some "lucky loser". Hey, if she'd play IIIs & IVs like her sister, she could do that in every match. Couldn't she? [;)]

[H] Paul

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
Philli
#33 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 2:46:52 PM(UTC)
Philli

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)

I've been doing a few sums Paul. If Maria doesn't do the Kremlin Cup, she'll lose the 110 points she's defending from last year, Right? Calling off Zurich and Linz will cost her a further 800 points.  Thats a loss of 910 points.

Venus looks like winning Seoul, Ana will be ahead of Maria by the end of this tournament.

All in All, With Serena in action as well...Maria could well end up the year 10th in the rankings.

A few decisions need to be made in her camp.

midaso
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 3:25:48 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Yeah and she might be missing tournaments next year for her Olympic campaign so doesn't look good

And that Dementieva-Mauresmo result is pretty whipdedoo isn't it? They've both fallen off the radar and are hardly threats to any of the top players...

paul_pipkin
#32 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 3:36:49 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Check back; as a 2006 KC quarterfinalist, she's defending 75 points. However, these threads are labeled for talk about other WTA players. [;)]

Midaso drops in to express his total contempt for most all of them, so that's simple enough. I'm more selective in my derision. I'd love to hear the locker room talk about Venus right now--you know as well as I what the players think of her systematically stealing points and pocket money from the lower tiers instead of playing Europe. lol

[H] Paul

paul_pipkin
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2007 3:48:07 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="midaso"]

And that Dementieva-Mauresmo result is pretty whipdedoo isn't it? They've both fallen off the radar and are hardly threats to any of the top players...

[/quote]

What do you mean by "top"? Current number 12 and 15 in the world--when the WTA tracks 1300, not even to speak of all the ITF players and juniors. Basically you're saying they are off your radar, and it's remarks like that which tell us, for all your talk,you have no serious interest in the sport overall.

Siiri
#51 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:26:59 AM(UTC)
Siiri

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shame that Malek lost :(
Philli
#34 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:34:29 AM(UTC)
Philli

Paul, didn't the Williams sisters make an agreement with each other not to enter the same WTA Tournaments a few years back after some debacle about them playing each other in the semis at one tournament?

I think the WTA has had some influence too in that it wants to get bigger names, although not too many, at the smaller tournaments.

Philli
#35 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:38:49 AM(UTC)
Philli

Stuttgart is shaping up to be a really good tournament. I watched three games yesterday. Will do the same today.

On the basis of this, Zurich will be even better with everybody scrambling for points for year end positions, and subsequent positioning in the seeding ranks for 2008

CROUCHING TIGER
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 6:01:26 AM(UTC)
CROUCHING TIGER

Was thanked: 2863 time(s) in 1719 post(s)
Great job, Elena, really hope u can make a top-10 come-back:))). Pity for Kirilenko[:'(] Chaky and Nadja must fight with all they have, come'on girls..GOOOOOOO........I want at least 5 Russians in Madrid[^o)]

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
Philli
#36 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 11:58:00 AM(UTC)
Philli

Chaki is out of Stuttgart. Got beat by Golovin in straight sets 7-6. 6-1. She looked pretty burned out. Not surprising really.

Anyway, she said she's going home to Russia to spend some time with her boyfriend and prepare for the Kremlin Cup. 

That's what Russians do, you know, when they're not playing...go back to Russia, their home country because they are Russians and love their country and play for it because they are Russian and live there.

paul_pipkin
#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:38:42 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Philli"]

Paul, didn't the Williams sisters make an agreement with each other not to enter the same WTA Tournaments a few years back after some debacle about them playing each other in the semis at one tournament?

I think the WTA has had some influence too in that it wants to get bigger names, although not too many, at the smaller tournaments.

[/quote]

The incident took place at Indian Wells when they effectively refused to play each other. When the crowd took exception, the Williams clan called it a "racial incident" and have boycotted the tournament since. Now that PacLife has been designated one of the new tier of "crown jewel" events, they find themselves jammed up and are demanding that the association exempt them, alone of the entire field, from obilgatory participation in the crown jewels. Sheesh.

But I wouldn't be surprised they got away with it. Frankly, I don't much care what WTA likes. [:|] It was they who pushed the play rules to a killing pace--except of course for the Williams, who play when and where they please and nobody says a thing. No excuses; neither Williams was at Tier II Luxembourg while Venus was robbing Tier IV Seoul. There's no accomplishment or pride to be taken in such a spurious "victory".

Paul

Philli
#38 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 3:15:25 PM(UTC)
Philli

I agree entirely. Seoul is virtually a walkover for her. Still, the 115 points will come in handy towards YEC.

Ana needs to get into the Qtrs at Stuttgart and she'll be Number 4 next week. 

It was a relief to see that the new Russian number 2 didn't also fall to Radwanska, but it was touch and go for awhile.

paul_pipkin
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 3:16:31 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Philli"]

Chaki is out of Stuttgart. Got beat by Golovin in straight sets 7-6. 6-1. She looked pretty burned out. Not surprising really.

Anyway, she said she's going home to Russia to spend some time with her boyfriend and prepare for the Kremlin Cup. 

That's what Russians do, you know, when they're not playing...go back to Russia, their home country because they are Russians and love their country and play for it because they are Russian and live there.

[/quote]

Absolutely she needs a rest before defending against Justine. Anna has made heroic efforts this year.

BTW (Cleo, if you're browsing this: there's a lengthy interview with Anna C running on Planeta Sport. Good 24-hr stream at http://livetv.ru/en/chanelinfo/246/ . I imagine it'll be rerun a couple of times anyway. Taped sometime after the Fed Cup, it has lots of clips of Anna and family around the house, etc.)

Okay, Philli, I know where you'd like to go with "what Russians do", but your thought actually bears on a larger point. At LA, Clif Drysdale cited Elena D as "one of the few" of "that Russian bunch" who hadn't come to the States or Spain, etc--to the West. [:^)] I wondered, can't Clif count? Then the refrain was picked up by the Three Witches and turned into a mantra through the USO--something like this:

They cite Maria, of course, Sveta in Spain a lot, with the clear implication that the only "good" Russians are the ones who come "over here". They've even suggested that Petrova, of all people, is an expat and no longer a "real Russian". [:O] Interestingly, they never mention the several down-list Russians in Florida, places like Allentown PA or Scottsdale AZ -- because their bull is directed to those who look only at "top players". [;)]  See, they don't want them looking down-list at all or they'd start counting Tarpischev's Muscovite legions and realize the alleged "westward migration" is a crock.

It doesn't take a doctorate to get the politicized nature of such trash-talk. Now, if you press to drive a wedge between one Russian player and her compatriots, isn't it like you're playing into the agenda of our country-club mouthpieces?

[H] Paul

Philli
#37 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 3:48:15 PM(UTC)
Philli

it's kind of weird, in a way, Paul. After the initial Russian invasion back at the beginning of the Millenium, it seemed to slow down for a while.

Now its picked right up again and they are showing up throughout the rankings again......but still the USTA hasn't seemed to pick up the ball and run with it. 

Considering the training facilities in the USA, its surprising that they seemed to be the breeding ground for foreign tennis players, rather than the home grown variety.

I get the impression that the USTA as about as near sighted as the LTA of Great Britain.

paul_pipkin
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 5:16:58 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Philli"]

it's kind of weird, in a way, Paul. After the initial Russian invasion back at the beginning of the Millenium, it seemed to slow down for a while.

Now its picked right up again and they are showing up throughout the rankings again......but still the USTA hasn't seemed to pick up the ball and run with it. 

Considering the training facilities in the USA, its surprising that they seemed to be the breeding ground for foreign tennis players, rather than the home grown variety.

I get the impression that the USTA as about as near sighted as the LTA of Great Britain.

[/quote]

Oh, has it ever picked up. Whatever I might think of Boris Yeltsin, he promoted something grand. They just keep on coming, and not only the Russian Fed but Slav'sya, from "all the Russias"--Belarus, Ukraine, ethnic Russians from the former republics. Those late Juniors I mentioned in the "other girls" thread were either champs, finalists or semifinalists. For each of them there are four more behind them and another four behind those.

And your impression is dead on, the US myopia is extreme. Like I was saying on  the US Open thread, there are unused facilities all over this country. Seems like our program is the same as we apply to Canadian skaters -- lure them in with the resources, try and entice them to take citizenship, then pretend we produce them.

See, here's the way the mentality works: Kim Clijsters married Brian Lynch, an American who plays basketball for a Belgian team -- so we call Brian "an American basketball player." Follow: Star of our San Antonio basketball team is Manu Ginóbili, an Argentine citizen. Pretty much the flip side of Brian, he's even played for the Argentine national team. Is he an "Argentine basketball player"? Not on your life--he plays for our team!

Wait! [*-)] What am I missing? Brian and Manu cannot both be "American basketball players"? They can if you're a Yankee commentator. LOL

[H] Paul in Texas

midaso
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2007 11:11:32 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
[quote user="paul_pipkin"][quote user="midaso"]

[/quote]

What do you mean by "top"? Current number 12 and 15 in the world--when the WTA tracks 1300, not even to speak of all the ITF players and juniors. Basically you're saying they are off your radar, and it's remarks like that which tell us, for all your talk,you have no serious interest in the sport overall.

[/quote]

No the story is - why should I give a damn about those players like Dementieva? Because we know she's not really that great. Henin would beat her 6-2,6-1. Some of those lower players interest me but really the top is where it's at - those top 6 or so are playing several levels above the rest of them and shame on the women for not being able to raise their games consistently to make an interesting competition...

Philli
#39 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2007 2:49:41 AM(UTC)
Philli

If anybody can link onto Eurosport today, (Thursday) via satellite, if you are not in Europe, todays afternoon 3 matches are Ana, JJ, and Justine.

Should be a really good demo of good tennis.

paul_pipkin
#21 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2007 3:34:22 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="Philli"]

If anybody can link onto Eurosport today, (Thursday) via satellite, if you are not in Europe, todays afternoon 3 matches are Ana, JJ, and Justine.

Should be a really good demo of good tennis.

[/quote]

I need to get my router changed out today, but I'm going to try to see those matches. Unfortunately, who I'd most like to see is Elena D and she goes on court vs Daniela at 7:30 Stuttgart time. That's the Eurosport 2 timeslot and while my app can see that stream, I haven't gotten it to play yet.

paul_pipkin
#22 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2007 12:09:01 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I didn't get up early enough to see Nadia, if they ran that match. Caught some of K Bondarenko trouncing Ana. (The psychology of back-to-back tourneys doesn't work well for the winner of the previous one, I suspect.)  Saw all of JJ/Peer. Looked like JJ might succumb to Shahar's increasingly clever play, but came back. Had to laugh at JJ hitting a couple of those Schiavone-type net balls at critical moments. The second one bounced on over, though.

Then the stream went to football. I'll try here directly to pull in Eurosport 2 for Elena/Daniela, but I'm not optimistic.

[8-)] Paul

Philli
#40 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2007 1:30:36 PM(UTC)
Philli

Oh Paul,,,the football 'extra' was only 10 minutes...they do that everyday.. They came right back and showed the whole of Justine's match right after it.

Pity you didn't know that. Justine was in control of the whole match...won in straight sets.

Ana looked really tournament weary today. She'll be taking a week off before Zurich to regain her form...or at least some of it. 

Pity she only made 40 points.. but she's only 15 behind Maria now, so 4th place is pretty much guaranteed over the next week, what with Maria losing points for not making an appearence at KC and defending her points from last year.