logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Elena shortchanged
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2007 5:10:23 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1872 time(s) in 1242 post(s)

I've long maintained that Dementieva is the most under-reported WTA player -- by the English language media anyway. You would think that Yahoo or Yahoo UK, one or the other, would thnink beating Mauresmo then Hantuchova back-to-back would be worth one current picture? No such luck. Oh well, I'll get 'em off her site later. http://eng.dementieva.ru/ I guess Elena D is too Russian for 'em or something.

[:S] Paul in Texas

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
midaso
#5 Posted : Friday, October 05, 2007 2:31:27 PM(UTC)
midaso

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Yeah surprising - she's pretty hot as well...
paul_pipkin
#6 Posted : Friday, October 05, 2007 3:44:52 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="midaso"]Yeah surprising - she's pretty hot as well...[/quote]

She is so fine. Heh-heh. Here's a music video that features her. Kak Ty Prekrasna translates "As You are Beautiful", in the sense of, yes, "you're so fine". [:)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBq-cJt0gUs

Yahoo--Eurosport UK broke down and posted an interview vid with her. Scroll to "Dementieva on comeback" and watch it full screen and tell me you couldn't fall in love:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/embedvideo.html?p=57#  (If that doesn't work, go to yahoo-eurosport tennis page.)

Part of it is that Elena's lifestyle doesn't stoke the paparazzi fires. She rather a homebody. In Cali this year, after a decade on the tour, she brought a boyfriend for the first time.

[H] Paul

Mameeka
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:39:09 PM(UTC)
Mameeka

Something from a different angle - she won in Moscow. I didn't expect that, cause Serena looked so strong! Congrats to her, it was wonderful [Y]
merylstr@otenet.gr
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:49:31 PM(UTC)
merylstr@otenet.gr

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

I've long maintained that Dementieva is the most under-reported WTA player -- by the English language media anyway. You would think that Yahoo or Yahoo UK, one or the other, would thnink beating Mauresmo then Hantuchova back-to-back would be worth one current picture? No such luck. Oh well, I'll get 'em off her site later. http://eng.dementieva.ru/ I guess Elena D is too Russian for 'em or something.

[/quote]

You're right, she is under - reported. I think it's mainly because she is something of an anti-star, lowprofile i mean..Now her beating Mauresmo nad Hantuchova is not exactly a deed.....Mauresmo is not in form and Hantuchova has never been something special. No great tennis player and definately not a champion...And on top of that, Dementieva has this problem with her serve, so even when she won a match there was always something to scr*w up the statistics...

If you combine all this, i think no one can blame them for putting her aside... Or at least that's what i think..[:P]

paul_pipkin
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:53:32 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="merylstr@otenet.gr"][quote user="paul_pipkin"]

[/quote]

You're right, she is under - reported. I think it's mainly because she is something of an anti-star, lowprofile i mean..Now her beating Mauresmo nad Hantuchova is not exactly a deed.....Mauresmo is not in form and Hantuchova has never been something special. No great tennis player and definately not a champion...And on top of that, Dementieva has this problem with her serve, so even when she won a match there was always something to scr*w up the statistics...

If you combine all this, i think no one can blame them for putting her aside... Or at least that's what i think..[:P]

[/quote]

Hi, meryl... Oh, I fully agree that she's not paparazzi bait--something of a homebody, actually. I started the thread ten days ago and raised her name a couple of other places to direct attention to her. She's another longtime favorite of mine. While I was not sure whether she could translate it into the championship, I did know that it was she who probably cared the most about Kremlin Cup.

Of course, there is plenty of press now. lol [;)] (Most will be Russian and your European press because ours in the States buries any story connected with a Williams defeat as fast as possible.

Elena's funny old serve may bite her again in her first match at Zürich. Whether she plays Serena or Schnyder, both are burning from recent defeats and will fight doubly hard. In that event the press can again take the attitude that she's not much after all and who cares about KC anyway? I think the bottom line on coverage is less performance than who the journals have become invested in.

[H] Paul

merylstr@otenet.gr
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2007 3:04:30 PM(UTC)
merylstr@otenet.gr

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hey Paul! Yeah i guess that's the way it goes when the W sisters lose...No country can be objective about their athletes...especially the ones that give them so much fame...[:P], so i can't really blame the Americans too much this time...darn! [:P]

As for the subject, i just saw it, sorry!![:$]

paul_pipkin
#8 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 7:16:01 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

[quote user="merylstr@otenet.gr"]

Hey Paul! Yeah i guess that's the way it goes when the W sisters lose...No country can be objective about their athletes...especially the ones that give them so much fame...[:P], so i can't really blame the Americans too much this time...darn! [:P]

As for the subject, i just saw it, sorry!![:$]

[/quote]

No problem, Meryl. Directing attention was the point. Okay, you can't blame my countrymen, but I can--and do upbraid them regularly. [;)] We're so full of it, our eyebrows are brown. [H]