logo

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
KONTRAKT WITH KAZAKHSTAN -- Shvedova, Voskoboeva, etc
paul_pipkin
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:08:30 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Groups: everyone, registered users, Registered

Was thanked: 1871 time(s) in 1241 post(s)

Nov 19, carried on sovsport.ru, Shamil addressed something I'd wondered about. This is one of those things we never hear a word about in the Western sports press:

Andrey Golubev, Mikhail Kukushkin, Yuri Shchukin, Yaroslav Shvedova and Galina Voskoboeva. What does unite these players of the third echelon of Russian teams? By year-end all these tennis-players began to represent Kazakhstan. In this case Golubev reached the final of the tournament in Saint Petersburg, and Voskoboeva for the first time completed the year in the top 100 of WTA rating. Not alas what reaching, but nevertheless… Suppose that suddenly in a couple of years a number of these athletes will catch fire--new stars?

SHAMIL TARPISCHEV:

“This draining of our tennis-players into Kazakhstan (was a) forced measure. We simply cannot finance them! Here, for example, Golubev. The fellow for almost five years was trained in Italy, now at 21 years, he was full of forces and energy and… was ready to complete career. The same also with Kukushkin. They do not have money that is normal for training... a minimum of 200,000 Euros per year - to the trainers, the masseurs, the overflights and the stay! To earn such prize money, when located in second hundred of rankings, is unreal...

Here we concluded: contract with Kazakhstan. There now they relate completely seriously to tennis. Even the President of the country, Nursultan Nazarbayev, is fascinated by it - I played with him recently. He’s not a bad tennis-player, growing better technically…

“So there, for the development of tennis in the country, decent money is put aside--in 5 years they must construct 15 tennis centers - more than 100 covered courts! But the presence of stars, even not of the top rank, whip up the children's sport. And for the tennis-players themselves it will be more comfortable--it is not necessary to think about where to find money for the next airline ticket. But if suddenly they rise into the elite, they can return to Russia if they want. True, no earlier than in three years…” (presumably the contracted period.)

"That's the way the world works... right now." --Maria Sharapova at 17
paul_pipkin
#11 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 4:38:49 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Well, so a couple of the Russian Kazakhstanis played tonight, and did pretty good!!! [H]

Thanks to this appropriated AOTV stream, I got to see Yaroslava Shvedova give Petrova a pretty good fight. Shvedova is a great-looking woman with legs that won't quit! I don't get to see her play often enough.

Ditto re Galina Voskoboeva, who beat Szavay 63 36 64. These girls are coming right along.

paul_pipkin
#12 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 4:11:04 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Britain’s Elena Baltacha was powerless to prevent Kazakhstan’s Yaroslava Shvedova from securing a place in the main draw of Roland Garros 2009. The 6-2 6-2 scoreline is further proof of a return to form for Shvedova, who was twice a junior finalist here in Paris and lived in the city for two years as a child.

Shvedova first qualified for the main draw in 2007 and the significance of her repeat performance was evident for all to see in her beaming post-match smile.

Steelier temperament

"I’m reproducing the form I’ve been showing in practice. Since I qualified for Rome I’ve been feeling just great and playing without pressure. To top it all, I’m learning to enjoy the clay," said the player who is currently ranked No96 in the world.

"She has changed her attitude along with her game. Provided she manages to keep on playing freely, she’ll get there," commented Tomasz Iwanski, who has been her coach since last November. Iwanski doubles up as Kazakhstan’s Fed Cup captain when not accompanying Shvedova on tour and describes his protegee as "ambitious". Such confidence is far from unfounded if today’s performance is anything to go by...

Messages of support

“Ambitious” could also be used to describe Yaroslava’s decision to change nationalities last August. "She wanted to play in a national team, and that would have been difficult in Russia," says Iwanski. "It was also the chance to play in the Olympic Games," adds Yaroslava, who shows her affection for her adopted nation by proudly wearing a green and yellow bracelet on her left wrist.

"I live in Moscow but I often go to Kazakhstan because I feel good there and the conditions are excellent. The people like me and I get lots of encouragement on Facebook. I’ve got many friends there, "she explains fondly.

mashadabest
#7 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 6:02:40 PM(UTC)
mashadabest

[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Britain’s Elena Baltacha was powerless to prevent Kazakhstan’s Yaroslava Shvedova from securing a place in the main draw of Roland Garros 2009. The 6-2 6-2 scoreline...[/quote]

[:(] Poor Elena!  I was upset she didn't qualify, but after seeing Shvedova today I can completely understand how she lost!!!  Kazakhstan have a great player in Shvedova, I am sure she will be moving up the rankings soon.

paul_pipkin
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:33:50 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

We know when Italian channel SuperTennis has been showing Palermo. Geeked Play starts daily at 14:00 GMT, but the broadcast begins with the 2nd match on Centre Court Not Before 16:30 GMT. Palermo plays under the lights, so they show the 3rd match as well.

So, unless they begin early with a 14:00 broadcast, we may not get to see Shvedova on Friday. Glad I caught her Thursday.

http://free-tv.dk/tennis.html 

fromsport has a Supertennis link http://www.fromsport.com/video-43112.html and atdhe http://www.atdhe.net/7921/watch-wta-palermo .

Friday, July 17, 2009

Centre Court (from 16.00hrs) (14:00 GMT)
1. Errani vs. Shvedova

paul_pipkin
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:46:57 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yaroslava Shvedova easily defeated Shachar Pe'er at the NÜRNBERGER GASTEIN LADIES 09. roslava's confidence & consistency are way up. Though unseeded at Bad Gastein, she's essentially the favorite for the position ceded by second seed Schiavone (back injury before play began). I hope Shvedova may make the final there.

I also like her doubles combination with Senoglu of Turkey. While they haven't gone far yet, their play looks good. Hang together & they will win some tournaments. [H]

Shvedova will face Austrian wildcard Yvonne Meusburger in the quarters.

paul_pipkin
#15 Posted : Friday, September 04, 2009 7:27:55 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

USO 2009: I'm bringing this one back up again as it continues the saga of Yaroslava Shvedova. Consider: I've all the sympathy in the world for JJ's loss, but a contradiction stands out. Today when Jesse Levine briefly got a leg up on Cilic & the commentators were ing what was wrong with the Croat, they concluded that it was what Levine's game was doing to him.

But here, it's turned into Jankovic's failure was solely about her family tragedy--Yaroslava's fine play had nothing to do with it? About all Bard Gilbert did was crack Borat jokes.

Typical commentariat bullsh!t.I taped & reviewed as much of the match as was broadcast. Yaroslava played excellent tennis. But according to the Western mouthpieces, she is a "late-bloomer" (25) who plays for that silly "Borat" country so you should dismiss her.

Screw them. I will keep on beating this drum as more & more Russian Kazakhstanis & the new Kazakh players rise. [H]

fking_crazy
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 05, 2009 6:59:24 AM(UTC)
fking_crazy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
[quote user="paul_pipkin"]

Screw them. I will keep on beating this drum as more & more Russian Kazakhstanis & the new Kazakh players rise. [H]

[/quote]

Agree with ya Paul. JJ was beaten coz she wasn't able to play better than Yaroslava . This girl is to be watched. I think she's the new threat to American young players including a certain Melanie. I'm not particularly fan of Russian or Kazakh (?) girls. I got one, that's enough. But I kinda feel US media has some kind of complex when they talk about those players!

paul_pipkin
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 05, 2009 11:38:22 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

The complex is rooted in the bowels of State. Look it over--any player from a country that doesn't toe DC's line (except China) is either ignored or subject to ridicule. All things Russia & her friends at the top of the sh!t-list.

Kazakhstan is a large nation with great resources.  Historically, they are joined at the hip with Russia. The Muslim Kazakhs are a slight majority, but the state is secular & multi-ethnic with a huge Russian component. So the Russian Kazakhstani tennis players from Moscow are not at all unique. The President of the country is a sometimes tennis partner of Shamil Tarpischev.

The program is only about a year along now but it is bearing fruit both for Russian players like Yaroslava & for the Kazakhs.

A young Kazakh player named Zarina Diyas made a quite presentable debut at ECM Prague Open in July.

Zarina Diyas

Teerin
#63 Posted : Saturday, September 05, 2009 12:03:45 PM(UTC)
Teerin

Yaroslava has such a beautiful game. She could hit nice and clean winners out of nowhere. Most of us saw her first play at the French Open against Maria in the third round. I hope she'll be the quarterfinalist here, go Yari! [H]
neslihan duran
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:32:28 AM(UTC)
neslihan duran

Shvedova plays with İpek Şenoğlu in doubles.I don't like both
paul_pipkin
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:10:07 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I saw Shamil Tarpischev in the bleachers at the Tashkent semis, along with a clutch of the local honchos. There were a number of Russians & Belarusians in the tournament, as well as a couple of the Russian Kazakhstanis. And Shamil has personal background in Tashkent from his days as a Soviet player--he certainly has every reason to be there, but you gotta wonder if more business is in the works. The vozhd seems involved with tennis programs from the Black Sea to the Fargonna Valley. [H]

paul_pipkin
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:25:37 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Kazakhstan has won the Asian Hopman Cup play-off in Astana. Twenty-four hours after its conclusion, one must go to Kazakhstani fans "on the ground", as it were, to get the results of an ITF FINAL! Bizarre. Do not even tell me this meet's play & results were not suppressed!

That aside, there are already a lotta quips about the Kazakhstan International Team as the "Russia B-team" & so forth. I understand that, but it's to ignore the fact that all this is setting up a profile, not just for Hopman Cup itself, but for Kazakhstan to appear as a major force in next year's Olympic Asiad (Nov in Guangzhou)-- where neither Russia nor Australia are involved.

Yaroslava Shvedova & Andrey Golubev

Anyway:  Congrats, Kazakhstan!!! Looking forward to watching the Lenochka vs Yaroslava match in Perth on January 6th. Cool

Australia

Russia

Samantha Stosur
Lleyton Hewitt

Elena Dementieva
Igor Andreev

Great Britain

Spain

Laura Robson
Andy Murray

Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Tommy Robredo

Germany

Romania

Sabine Lisicki
Philipp Kohlschreiber

Sorana Cirstea
Victor Hanescu

USA

Kazakhstan

Melanie Oudin
John Isner

Yaroslava Shvedova
Andrey Golubev

paul_pipkin
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:02:39 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

FOUR DAYS after the Asian Hopman Cup final, Asian-based English media run an AFP release on the Kazakhstan victory & qualification for Perth!!! This "news" is the FIRST online report outside Kazakhstan other than in Chinese or other Asiatic script. (A couple of days earlier, the Hopman Cup site finally posted the Astana results without comment, news item, or any welcome to the Kazakhstani team.)

Suppression, much? [^o)] I rest my case.

MALAYSIA STAR:

Thursday November 19, 2009
Kazakhstan beat Taiwan to make Hopman Cup debut

PERTH: Kazakhstan will make their Hopman Cup debut next year, after winning the Asian Hopman Cup.

The Kazakh pairing of Andrey Golubev and Yaroslava Shvedova qualified for the unique mixed teams tournament from Jan 2-9 by beating defending Asian Hopman Cup champions Taiwan in Kazakhstan 2-1 on Sunday. (Wrong, the final was on Saturday.)

They complete the eight nations for the event, and will open their tournament against the British pairing of world number four Andy Murray and teenager Laura Robson on Jan 4.

The result capped a good couple of weeks for Gobulev, 22, who won an indoor tournament in his home country just days before the Asian Hopman Cup.

Gobulev is ranked 139th in the world, having reached a career high of 56 earlier this year, and reached two finals this year, with his best scalp top-20 player Radek Stepanek in Montreal.

Moscow-born Shvedova, also 22, is currently ranked 53rd, having broken into the top 50 for the first time this year.

Her polished doubles skills could come in handy in the mixed doubles here, and she reached the third round of the French Open and US Open this year, upsetting world number five Jelena Jankovic in the latter.

The rankings for the tournament were announced last month, with the home team pairing of Lleyton Hewitt and Samantha Stosur the top seeds. — AFP

http://thestar.com.my/sp...ports/5138697&sec=sports

TIMES OF INDIA:

Kazakhs qualify for Hopman Cup
AFP 18 November 2009, 01:33pm
PERTH: Kazakhstan will make their Hopman Cup debut next year, after winning the Asian Hopman Cup. 

The Kazakh pairing of Andrey Golubev and Yaroslava Shvedova qualified for the unique mixed teams tournament from January 2-9 by beating defending Asian Hopman Cup champions Taiwan in Kazakhstan 2-1 on Sunday. (Wrong, the final was on Saturday.)

They complete the eight nations for the event, and will open their tournament against the British pairing of world number four Andy Murray and teenager Laura Robson on January 4.

The result capped a good couple of weeks for Gobulev, 22, who won an indoor tournament in his home country just days before the Asian Hopman Cup.

Gobulev is ranked 139th in the world, having reached a career high of 56 earlier this year, and reached two finals this year, with his best scalp top-20 player Radek Stepanek in Montreal.

Moscow-born Shvedova, also 22, is currently ranked 53rd, having broken into the top 50 for the first time this year.

Her polished doubles skills could come in handy in the mixed doubles here, and she reached the third round of the French Open and US Open this year, upsetting world number five Jelena Jankovic in the latter.

The rankings for the tournament were announced last month, with the home team pairing of Lleyton Hewitt and Samantha Stosur the top seeds.

Russians Elena Dementieva and Igor Adreev are ranked second, followed by the British pair, Spain's Tommy Robredo and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez, Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber and Sabine Lisicki, Romania's Victor Hanescu and Sirena Cirstea, and United States duo John Isner and Melanie Oudin.

http://timesofindia.indi.../articleshow/5242825.cms

paul_pipkin
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:19:57 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

One is gratified to discover that Russian media were not limited by the Astana news blackout. [Y]

On Sunday the day after the Asian final, GoTennis.ru posted the story: Team of Kazakhstan in the composition of Shvedova/Golubev will play for the Goblet of Hopman GoTennis.ru | 15.11.2009

http://www.gotennis.ru/news/?p=30913 

Interesting to note the text specifies: Об этом сообщают казахстанские СМИ. "Kazakhstan media outlets report about this." -- They took their copy direct from Kazakh sources while global sports media, incuding the HC site itself, delayed for days.

paul_pipkin
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:09:29 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

I'm'a thinkin' we may needs to add one to the sexy list... [8-|]

HEAT IS ON: Kazakhstan's Yaroslava Shvapova warms up at Burswood after escaping -30 weather in her homeland. Picture: Richard Hatherly Source: PerthNow

Kazakhstan's Yaroslava Shvedova, pictured, arrived in Australia on Christmas Day, fleeing a snow storm to prepare for the tournament ahead of the Australian Open.

"In Almaty (Kazakhstan's largest city), it was -10 but that's fine because in Astana, the capital, it was -30," Shvedova said.

"It's a little bit hard here. Today was my second practice - because of the travelling, the weather and the time difference my pulse was (racing).

"But I will practice hard; from Monday we will start."

paul_pipkin
#22 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2010 11:07:29 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Sportbox.ru 14:19 -- Korolev will represent Kazakhstan

Muscovite Eugene Korolev will from now on represent Kazakhstan.

As described by the President of the Russian tennis federation Shamil Tarpischev, the Kazakh federation proposed extremely advantageous financial conditions, which make it possible to conduct improved qualitative preparation to the 21- summer tennis-player.

"My reaction to this change is negative," says Tarpischev in “Sport-Express”. "However, when to a player they propose a deal that our federation cannot, it is difficult for us to dispute.

Let us recall that earlier began to represent that the ex-Russians Andrey Golubev, Mikhail Kukushkin, Yaroslava Shvedova, Galina Voskoboeva, and also Sesil Karatancheva from Bulgaria. Golubev and Shvedova beating Igor Andreev and Elena Dementieva within the framework of the team tournament Hopman Cup.

(That was 2-1, Elena defeated Yaroslava in singles, but Golubev beat Andreev in singles & the Kazakhstanis won the mixed doubles.)

paul_pipkin
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:19:09 AM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yaroslava will play her second round match on Thursday.

Court 13
Not Before: 12.30hrs Thursday Melbourne = 01:30 GMT = 02:30 CET = 20:30 Wednesday eve EST.
2. Women's Singles - 2nd Round
Tathiana Garbin (ITA) v. Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)
3. Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Stefan Koubek (AUT) v. Ivan Dodig (CRO)
4. Women's Doubles - 1st Round
Chia-Jung Chuang (TPE)[12] v. Ipek Senoglu (TUR)
Kveta Peschke (CZE)[12] Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)

Little chance, I suppose, they'll get a camera out there. Still, the media does kiss up to the Italians sometimes so maybe Garbin will draw them.

Her Hopman partner Golubev & recent Kazakhstani Korolev are still in the mix on the men's side.

paul_pipkin
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:01:01 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yaroslava has not done so well at the Asia/Oceania Zonal event.

Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan returns a shot to Chan Yung-jan of Taiwan during their tennis match at the Fed Cup Asia/Oceania zone in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010.

No doubt Chinese Taipei was still smarting from the loss at Asian Hopman Cup in Astana. This is Round Robin play so, if Kazakhstan pull out their matches with Uzbekistan tomorrow, I guess they're still in the running. Sesil Karatantcheva, the Bulgar who had some WADA trouble before she took the Kazakhstan Contract, is pulling her weight just fine. Zarina Diyas, Kazakh ingenue, hasn't yet gotten to play.

Chinese Taipei defeated Kazakhstan 2-1 in Malaysia
R1 - S.KARATANTCHEVA (KAZ) def. K.CHANG (TPE) 6-4  6-3
R2 - Y.CHAN (TPE) def. Y.SHVEDOVA (KAZ) 6-3  6-4
R3 - C.CHUANG / S.HSIEH (TPE) def. Y.SHVEDOVA / G.VOSKOBOEVA (KAZ) 6-3  2-6  7-6(6)

Kazakhstan defeated Thailand 2-1 in Malaysia
R1 - S.KARATANTCHEVA (KAZ) def. S.VIRATPRASERT (THA) 6-4  6-2
R2 - T.TANASUGARN (THA) def. Y.SHVEDOVA (KAZ) 6-3  6-3
R3 - Y.SHVEDOVA / G.VOSKOBOEVA (KAZ) def. T.TANASUGARN / V.WONGTEANCHAI (THA) 6-3  6-4

paul_pipkin
#25 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:17:40 PM(UTC)
paul_pipkin

Yaroslava Shvedova & Sesil Karatantcheva have made the quarterfinals at Pattaya City.

Yaroslava will play either Chan Yung-Jan or Tatjana Malek
Sesil will play either Vera Dushevina or Katya Bychkova